1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendliest Rockets and Least Of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StaticC4, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Ron's down to earth as can be. Friendly as hell, love the guy.

Scola is great as well, but he seems rather shy in public events... or when people come up to him. Maybe I'll just bust out some futbol talk next time.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rodney McCrae was super cool when I met him a long long time ago. I was a kid who was watching summer league. he played, and I knew he had been a Rocket.

Luther Head was nice as well.

CD Carroll Dawson was super nice when I met him the year after Rudy's head coaching stint was over.

3. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Met Rafer at a club. He was cool, pretty laid back. Always seemed like a nice guy during TV interviews as well.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Question:

Is hell tall or cool?

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Years ago, we were drinking at Dave and Buster's and loudly talking to each other about how much Cato sucked. Shortly thereafter the bartender came up and gave us each another round and said, "courtesy of the gentleman over there." Unbeknownst to us, Cato had sat down behind us, and apparently was in earshot. :)

6. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Cool story. I was pretty excited after seeing him do so well after preseason....well yea, that's a whole other story.

7. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

IN preseason

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

What mma event was this?
    was it local?

9. Fatty FatBastard

I'll share my stuff.

I saw Barkley out a ton when he played here. First time was during a Cowboy playoff game. I overheard that he bet on Dallas. When they lost, I told the waitress to get him a margarita on me because, due to him losing the bet, he probably needed it. He came over and shook my hand and said that was cool as hell.

Then there was Mario Elie getting my future ex wife's # and leaving messages for her on the machine trying to get some.

And then we saw Horry out one time. I thought it was pretty cool that he knew my girlfriend personally. She had worked with the Rockets in some capacity for a few years. They talked for a good ten minutes.

Meh. That's about all the experiences I've had.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Nicest person I've met was Rudy T, I've always been a huge fan and meeting him was just awesome, really genuine and nice guy.

Calvin Murphy I met a few years ago, when he was still doing games, at a game in Dallas, was really nice, came up to me and the wife out of the blue.

Got to meet Mario Elie before a game when he was coaching with the Warriors, thanked him for the kiss of death, was pretty cool.

Met Shane and Scola before a game and both of those guys are awesome, really nice guys.

Met Luther Head a few years ago at Tmacs charity softball game, he was cool, he joked around with us for a bit.

Gene Peterson, ran into him on the concourse before a game, really cool guy, same goes for Bill Worrell.

Yao, think he's just overwhelmed by all the attention and doesn't care for it very much. Don't blame him it's kind of understandable, he was a bit standoffish.

About the only guy that was kind of a jerk was Eddie Johnson but he seemed pissed before I ran into him, he totally changed when I brought up his game winner vs the jazz though.

11. tutone88

tutone88 Member

In the 80's when I was a kid, I ran into Rodney McCray and his wife a couple of times at Cleburne Cafeteria. They were incredibly nice.

I also met Robert Reid. I was at his retirement party. He was very nice.

12. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

Sam Cassell & Otis Thorpe are real friendly guys...I saw Sam when he was a rookie outside a club and he was by himself chillin'. Use to work in a grocery store & O.T. came in with his wife & both were very nice. Buck Johnson & his father also came in, but didn't get a chance to talk to them. Of course Hakeem was always a joy.

13. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

Can't forget Horry, let me & my friends walk in the club with him through the kitchen for free :D

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I met Rodney McCray he was pretty nice.

I met Steve Francis when he was playing for NY and I asked him when he was coming back to Houston and he told me he didn't know then a couple of seasons later we landed him. The Rockets never played him then he got hurt.

He was super nice.

Mario Elie was kind of short with the conversation.

15. colbs713

colbs713 Member

I met Clyde Drexler at the Edwards Cinima by the summit years ago, I saw Rush Hour 2 next to him and his family he signed some autographs and offered me popcorn! ;)
    I met Dorsey and Hayes at the galleria this past year, both were very friendly and approachable.
    And Battier and The Dream were probably the most genuinely nice guys I've met.
    Never had any negatives

16. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I met Bonzi at a Mavs game few years back, not as much of an ******* as he seems to be.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I met Barkley one time, but I guess he wasn't in a great mood because he threw me through a plate glass window. I miss walking, but it was fun to meet the Chuckster.

18. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Did you steal his twinkies?

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hahah, well said. Not everyone is the same off the court as they are on the court. :p

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I sat next to a guy on an airplane one time that told me he had played tennis with Barkley at WestSide. I asked how he was at tennis, and the guy said his wife is much better than Barkley.

I got Matt Bullard's autograph at a meet and greet once. He seemed like a very nice guy.