1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendliest Rockets and Least Of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StaticC4, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yah your right in both points.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

off the top of my head i just remember dickerson, got an autogrpah from him postgame, nice guy

also ran into moochie after a game coming out of the locker room, all i had was a pen and i asked for an autograph, the pen wouldn't work, he was nice enough to keep trying to make it work and trying to sign, but it never worked..

i also went to the tux and tennis a long time ago, around the time mo taylor/mochie were here, don't remember anyone on the team being a prick or anything..

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy is easily the friendliest Rocket of all time. I remember when I would attend games at the Summit and he would stay afterwards and give everybody his autograph.

Chuck Hayes was also pretty friendly when I met him at the club. Nothing against the guy, but he's probably just glad to be in the NBA.

Nobody I've ever met has really been unfriendly, indifferent yes, but never unfriendly.

4. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

lol.

Met Franchise, he was cool as hell. I had a Rockets practice shirt on and he asked me how I got it, told him Rockets Shop (old defunct one that use to be in Memorial City Mall)

Yao Ming was gracious and tall as hell. I was looking him dead in the belly button. Cat Mobley was funny and goofy.

Met Mario Elie, he was super nice.

I went to Media Day the year we got JVG, everyone on that roster at the time seemed really nice.

Haven't had any bad experiences with the Rox.

5. scyman

scyman Contributing Member

Rudy T - my favorite Rocket of all time. A lot of people say it's a bad thing to meet your idols because they often disappoint you in person...Rudy only made me an even bigger fan! He was super nice, took a picture with me, and chatted a bit.

Steve Novak - really nice guy and very down to earth. He made a point to come talk to me later on in the day when he was walking by me again.

Rafer - nice guy and seemed really cool.

Carl Herrera - Amigo was really cool and happy to be recognized.

Mark Bryant - didn't talk to him much but he was cool for the short period of time I saw him.

Clyde - He was in a bit of a rush when I met him so didn't get a good gauge, but my mom met him at a golf event and said he was sooooo nice.

Kyle Lowry - he was pretty nice. I met him before he was a Rocket so I didn't really care to talk to him that much.

CD - seemed pretty shocked that someone would recognize him and I think it kind of threw him off. He was pretty nice though.

Tyronne Lue - pretty quiet and seemed like he wasn't used to being approached.

Sam Cassell - hands down the worst experience I've ever had with any sort of athlete (and I've met a ton due to my old job). He was such a jerk! We passed by him several times in Toyota Center (allstar game) and saw him being a jackass to tons of people who were trying to get an autograph or picture. I used to be a huge Sam fan, but forget that!

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i think yaos just shy. and he comes off as a jerk. he's just not a big fan of attention, i think that after years and years of being so tall, hes come to resent attention.

7. funkyfresh

funkyfresh Member

Sam Cassell and 4 other dudes in a Cadillac pulled into the South Houston High School parking lot on a Sunday afternoon to ask me for directions to San Jac College. They were totally lost and had no idea where to go.

At a KLOL event at the SUMMIT a tall dude was waiting for the stall i was using in the restroom. It was Matt Bullard in his rookie year. He was totally geeked that I even knew who he was then.

In the mid 90's on a trip coming back from Cozymel, Sam and Moses Malone were in line behind my uncle and I at customs. Sam was his usual loud boisterous self, and Moses was a complete a-hole. Very cocky. My uncle asked him very nicely if he'd sign something for me; for I was very shy and he's said he wasn't going to sign s**t no matter what. It was pretty harsh.

8. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Brent Price was a really nice guy when I went to a game back in 97-98 been so long can't remember what year it was. He auto'd my program and he was cool about it. Was the double overtime loss to the Lakers, damn that game was a heartbreaker.

9. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

Exactly. I think people sometimes forget that Yao is THE most recognizable person on the planet. He can't go anywhere without being recognized and I can't really blame him for not wanting to talk or sign autographs. As long as he isn't blatantly mean or acting like a douche (which I couldn't immagine), I'm cutting him some slack.

10. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I saw him around that area too. He was riding a bicycle. I yelled out the window at him, he turned and chunked the duce at me.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

I wonder if there is a single person who is more recognizable than him in the world. I'd guess no.

I have never in my entire life met a single celebrity outside of getting a Moises Alou autograph when I was 10 at an Astros game. Didn't even talk to him.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

LOL

I had to go to urbandictionary to find out what the hell that meant - the first similar finding was "masturbate uncontrollably"

:D

13. MADE

MADE Member

I met Otis Thorpe at Lubys off hwy 6 and Settlers Way in the early 90's and he was genuinely a nice guy.

On a side note, I met Bubba McDowell around the same time at the old Papasitos off 59 and West Airport (???) near the old Sam's.

Makes me reminisce of those days...when Oilers and Rockets were making waves in the playoffs.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only ex-Rocket that I ever met was Glen Rice. He shook hands with me and gave me his autograph.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what did happen to otis thorpe? You dont see him around or hear about him much...

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

:D :D :D

17. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Steve Francis and Shane Battier are nice. Yao Ming is awesome. :D

18. imatexan

imatexan Member

I would love to meet Sir Charles! I would not expect for him to be all nice and stuff because thats not him and thats what makes him awsome.

19. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly what I've been thinking while reading through the thread. They are human too.

20. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

Do you know any prostitutes? That might be your in.