1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendliest Rockets and Least Of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StaticC4, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dafranchise0309

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I said hey to Jon Barry and asked for an autograph at an Astros game one time, and he b****ed me out... "I'm with my family, at a baseball game, come on man... blah blah".

Douche.

3. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Robert Reid was a great guy, met him on one occasion, had him at my house on another (parents).

Robert Horry was a really nice guy too and had a very friendly family as well

Those are the only two rockets Ive met up close in person

4. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

Dream was definitely a nice dude when i met him (3 times)... gracious... always smiling... My idol.

Kelvin Cato was actually pretty cool when we asked for his autograph.. he said "Who am I?" before he obliged... wanted to make sure i wasn't just going after the tall black dude.

Saw Hayes, Luther, Daniel Ewing, TJ Ford, Jermaine O'Neal, and Stephen A Smith once at a Charity gala thing a while back. TJ was swamped pretty bad, Luther had like 5 ladies around him, Jermaine was with his wife, but Hayes and particularly Daniel Ewing were pretty nice.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I didn't have a chance to be around Rockets games / the guys before about 2002-ish, but I'd have to say that TMac and Francis are two of the less friendly guys I've encountered. (Ironically Francis was my favorite player at one point).

The friendliest I've found include Mutombo, Battier, even Alston.. oh, and Steve Novak! Before the Utah series the guy next to me told him to bodycheck someone if he got any playing time and he said he would. :D He didn't get any PT. :(

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He was at an Astros game with his family. Come on bro. There is a time and a place for everything. You don't bother people when they're with their families.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

yao ming is mean. i ran into him in chinatown in houston and he did not even smile. he looked so upset to see me. i took a pic with him and he looked so angry, lol.

8. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Sounds like typical Yao in public from what I've read on the forums ;)

9. DoubleRods

DoubleRods Member

Back in like 2001 or 2002, i used to do this workout program at this downtown gym with this guy named James Cooper (anyone know of this guy, he trains pro sports guys, hes super intimidating but nice as can be) and i was a scrawny young guy among all the towering athetic dudes. Robert Horry was in this program, and we'd go to the Rice University stadium to run the stairs, and I would always catch a ride with Horry (dead serious), in his beastly land rover. I didnt know jack **** about pro basketball back then, but i knew about Robert and he was one of the coolest people ive ever met. Good times :)

10. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Charles Barkley is such a prick in person...

Steve Francis was such a friendly guy the first two times I met him. The first of which, he was walking around Randalls in Sugar Land balancing a magazine on top of his head... stopped to give me an autograph, while holding steady with the magazine. Fun times.

11. napalm06

Awesome story! That's pretty cool.

12. napalm06

That's hilarious. I was a huge Stevie fan but I must have run in to him on the wrong day. It happens.

13. Rocketsxbully

Rocketsxbully Member

be it that i work at best buy, i've met many rockets over the years

robert horry-nice dude, easy to chat with

moochie norris- real nice guy, funny as hell

bryce drew- seemed shocked when i recognized him, guess he never get noticed without his name across his back

cuttino mobley-real nice dude, funny as hell also

kenny thomas-nice as well, not one for small talk

kelvin cato-always said he had a bad game and he sucked in the game they just played, dude had the ugliest lincoln navigator i'd ever seen

yao ming-nice guy, tall as ****, always came in to buy video games

shandon anderson-nice guy, didnt chat with him much

walt williams- him and moochie were always together when they came into the store

charles barkley-real nice genuine guy, got to go to his retirement party, that was real cool and low key, got to meet his mom and grandma

calvin murphy- was kind of a dick when he came in, had that "do you know who i am" type of attitude

i'm sure there are more, im drawing a blank right now

hakeem came in, but i was at lunch.
    brian cook was in not too long ago, but i was off, he bought his home theatre set up for his rental house

14. napalm06

Ah the terrible life of an NBA scrub... :D

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Hakeem seems nice
    Battier and brooks are awesome.
    Tmac and artest were real nice at the heat game.
    Mike james was also awesome.
    Asked barkley for an auto graph in person and he just put his shades on and walked off. So he's prob the least friendliest.

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

I met Mo Taylor and Juaquin Hawkins back in the day.....both of them were cool as hell.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Can i get a link to Aaron Brooks FB?

I searched aaron brooks in the people section and there's 380 results lol.

Wierd, Landry accepted my Twitter request.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Yao seems like he's uncomfortable in public, which can come off as unfriendly. Not all athletes are talkative, outgoing extroverts...

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Twitter really isn't that personal, people actually want to add as many people as possible, unlike something more personal like facebook or myspace.

To the guy who said they didn't accept his facebook req, maybe it's a fake account, that's why he didnt add you. It's difficult to know when it's raeally there account and when it isnt.

20. DoubleRods

DoubleRods Member

Great point, im glad somebody pointed this out.