1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendliest Rockets and Least Of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StaticC4, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

haha, same here :D

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Lmao, I'd be super pissed after getting blown out by 40 too. Rafer Alston is one of the nicest guys I've met.

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I met Gene Peterson in Chicago (ok, it was at a Rockets game) but I 'll never get over how relaxed he was, they way he walked and talked. Just really calm.

4. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Landry won't accept my facebook friend request but Brooks did. I have friends in common with Landry since I grew up in West Lafayette, Ind so I'm not sure why he wouldn't accept.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

I met Kenny Smith at the YMCA here in Greenville.

6. frazm23

frazm23 Member

i met rafer and dikembe at a mixed martial arts event, they were really nice, took pics / signed stuff for some ppl on their way out

yao - met him after the kings game last yr (novak game winner) really nice guy

olajuwon - met him numerous times, really nice, humble and down to earth individual. he's a first class individual all the way.

i saw mo taylor a long time ago at the galleria... he was an ass

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nice guys/cool:

scola ---this guy is really cool always willing to talk to fans
    Landry --nice guy too, not as super friendly as scola but approachable and will talk to you
    Novak -- really awesome, good sense of humor nice guy
    Shane -- cant say enough shane is a great guy off the court
    Rafer --- funny guy and good guy off the court
    Luther --- pretty friendly but quiet
    joey dorsey --pretty funny guy actually, hope that he improves his court ethic for next year
    Coach Respert --hillarious guy loves to talk if anyone approaches him
    Coach Turner --guy actually remembers my name and always approaches me at games and says whats up
    Daryl Morey --good guy and is always willing to talk and listen

not as friendly

chuck hayes --(sorry hayesfan) he isnt a jerk or anything he usually takes pictures with kids before the game and all... but after the game he just gets up and goes doesnt really talk to anyone stays by himself

tracy mcgrady -- guys tends to not want to talk to anyone he just talked to one of his "boys" after that he turned down some kids wanting autographs and didnt say anything you could be right next to him trying to get his attention (like i was) and he acts like he is deaf

Aaron Brooks --tends to be more introverted...he wont talk to anyone until he meets up with his wife and daughter first (if they are there) after that he prefers to be on his own but will talk to a fan if they say hi but he is really quiet

rick adelman --- he rather not talk to anyone the few questions i have asked him in the past he gave me short quick answers and gave off a vibe of "please i would rather not be bothered right now" i approached him at halftime of a game and he was sitting with coach turner in the stands and talked briefly, coach turner spent most of the time talking to me instead

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Otis Thorpe is the man!

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always loved Steve and Cat.

Cat sat right next to me in a summer league Clipper game...Awesome guy.

Tracy is too cool for me I guess...

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That makes me sad

11. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

I have two teenage daughters. Been there. The coat hangers are not good camoflage. Magazines hide things like that better.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Sam is cool as ****. I've never heard that before. Only time I met Max he was super cool too

13. moose

moose Member

the current rockets are pretty nice:

particulary brent barry, battier, chuck hayes, ron ron is cool too.

14. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

The one year I had season tickets the Rockets lady called and gave us floor seats for New Years. Cato was next to me during halftime. He started to just talk to me out of the blue. He was pretty nice.

Saw Rudy T at Chuy's at my 17th birthday party. he was super nice and took a picture with me.

Saw Calvin in middle school. he was always nice.

Saw Tmac at a club on Washington. He was cool. Said he could not take a picture inside with me because it would get hectic but he said if I caught him outside he would. I heard him say the same thing to ladies too so I know he wasn't punking me.

Saw Cuttino one time on Richmond near Westpark during the day. He was in a black SL. Just smiled.

#34 BigSherv, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  15. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Rudy T: Awesome guy, went to middle school with his son. He used to watch us play ball and told my dad i had good handles.

Sam I am: He walked up behind us while we were waiting in the box office line at the theatre in sharpstown. I don't remember what we watched but he went to go see the Fan with Wesley Snipes. Very nice to me.

Moses Malone: Extremely nice guy, would talk to anyone, spoke with him for a couple of minutes.

Robert Reid: Went to his Basket Ball camp in the mid 90's. Extremely nice. Had Kenny Smith come in for a special appearance. He did his bounce in between the legs dunk for us.

Kenny Smith: He used to always be in his store in First Colony mall. Cool guy but you could tell he wanted you to purchase something.

Calvin Murphy: Nice guy, Ive seen him around Sugar Land a lot. His daughter used to teach volunteer at my middle school. Her and Robert Horry had a kid and he went to that school as well but he was only in kindergarten.

Cuttino Mobley: In high school we went to some volunteer event, and he was watching everyone ball downtown. I think it was a power houston event or something.

I would love to meet Shane Battier, Mario Elie, The Dream, Yao, Rafer.

16. dafranchise0309

I met Chuck Hayes and he bought me food at subway!! :D :D

1 person likes this.
  17. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

^ lol still remember that thread...

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I make the trip to Cleveland for our annual away game there just about every year. The players always stay at this hotel that's connected to a mall adjacent to the Quicken Loans Arena. To kill time the players do what anybody needing to kill time at a mall would do: walk around and shop. These guys are all pretty easy to spot especially if you're looking for them.

Some of the various ex-Rockets i've encountered there throughout the years....

Deke -- Signed autographs for anybody and everybody. Yelled at my buddy in his robot voice to "HOLD YOUR BALL, HOLD YOUR BAALL!" while signing. Pretty hilarious.
    JVG -- We stood outside with a couple autograph seekers and yelled for him to come over and sign something. He wasn't interested. Not necessarily an indictment against him just didn't seem like he cared to talk to any fans.
    Bullard -- Stunned I recognized him. Was cool as hell and talked to us for a couple minutes.
    Stro -- Saw him walking a level below us and gave him a shoutout from above. He gave us a goofy looking head nod.
    Charlie Ward -- Stunned I recognized him but didn't have much to say.
    Moochie -- This was right away he got traded to the Knicks (my buddy is an NY fan so we made the trip for a different game). I mentioned I was always a big fan of him and wished he never got traded. He responded with a "Yeah, me too. You have no idea". B.S.'d with him about Francis/Mobley, he bought like seven pairs of shoes then we all parted ways.
    Juwanna Man -- Said whats up to us. Seemed eager to talk to anybody that knew who he was.

....and.....

I saved the best for last: RYAN BOWEN. For some reason we came up with the brilliant idea of prank calling Rybo. I had my buddy call his room pretending to be Keith Jones and told him to come down to the lobby. As you can imagine the next thing you know there's an awkward looking, white guy pacing around the lobby looking all confused.

19. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

cool. details?

20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Sorry to the voice of reason - but sometimes you just have to realise that dudes, especially big noticeable athletes/celebs, are gonna have bad days and not want to talk to randoms.