1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friday 8/15: Houston vs Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joe Joe, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A little preseason revenge.

Ongoing themes to look for in the game:

1) Will the offensive line produce like they did against Denver or like in the scrimmage?

2) Will we get to see more time with the AJ, Gaffey, and Bradford in three wide set?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Was that a cup or a boot that the Oilers and Cowboys used to play for?? Always thought that was a stupid idea...

Hopefully, we'll get to say, "Our scrubs are better than your scrubs!" for a year...

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see the Cowboys playing this preseason game very tough, as it is the only revenge that will be available to them until we play again in 3 seasons. For that reason, I figure we lose this game, but have strong showings from the important players again.

I am going to pay special attention to guys like Rashod Kent, Peek and Milford Brown...and of course, Moses. How can you not keep your eyes glued on that little dude when he is running the ball?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Governor's Cup. I think it is in tennessee.

Moses is sweet to watch, but I'm afraid for him. Ramon Walker had a couple of solid must make tackles, but he hasn't been too aggressive.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man oh man. Moses is sweet to watch. He breaks so many ankles with his sweet moves. Its so funny watching those big guys trip up and miss him.

6. insomnyak21

insomnyak21 Member

i agree. that boy is quick.

i don't know if i heard it correctly, but during the interview Casserly said that our georgia tech running back Tony Hollings ran him down on a punt return or was it a kick off. if that was the case it would be nice to see both of them on our kick off return team.

do you think we have a legit rb with Stacy Mack? he looks very promising. we shall see next game.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes.

Best short yardage back in game last season.

Consistently gained over 5 yards a carry in non-goalline situations last season.

Its whether or not the OL is legit.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Man, you guys got this thread up quick. :eek:

I have no idea who will win Friday. If it is the Cowboys team who's been playing well in camp and played ok in the scrimmage, I think they have a good chance to win. If that Jr. High team that showed up Saturday shows up, oh boy!

Our QB's do indeed suck. All we need is for them to not turn the ball over and be consistent. We have a good D and don't need 40 pts to win. But they still can't seem to understand how to play QB like that. I swear, if I see QC lose the ball just by trying to throw it, I will do something not very nice. Hutchinson didn't look good either, fumbling and underthrowing a few times. Still, I guess I can't really judge them. When our running game is held to 2 yards a carry, the QB's won't look good. 3rd and 30 isn't a good spot to be in. I think Parcells said they only had 2 or 3 realistic chances to score Saturday, out of 13 possesions. Minus plays, turnovers, and penalties killed us. So I expect, or should I say want, at least 1 QB to step up, as well as our RB's and linemen.

I know you guys have had line troubles, but when we have 2 of the best lineman in the game plus some other good linemen and can only get 2 yards a carry, somethings wrong. Can't "blame" Emmitt anymore.

Now our defense could use help too. Run defense and the secondary have been good to great, but that doesn't matter if the QB has 10 seconds to pass. Even QC will look like Troy Aikman if he had that much time. Then again, we may do good this game in pass rushing. We always seem to get like 6 sacks against you guys, and then follow it up with a 1 sack game. I know the line usually is to blame, but man, it makes me mad to see everyone pressure the QB one game and then be on the ground the next.

Oops. Went too far. Guess I was just letting off some steam...or water vapor...or something. :)

Let's just hope for a good game, preseason or not. BTW, I've heard a lot about Moses. Can someone fill me in on him?

Also, anybody remember Woody Dantzler? Man, that guy's is a football player. He's played QB, RB, KR, PR, Safety, holder guy, and special team coverage. I really like the guy, especially his return skills (wish I had the 49ers game on tape). He better make the team.

9. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Oh him? He's only the baddest little mother****er in all the land.

Seriously, the guy is only 5'6, but he is quick like lightening. He doesn't have huge breakaway speed, but he has shown such brilliance at getting the defense to miss, he has really turned some heads. I think he definitely makes the team, and may end up contributing a great deal over the course of the season.

10. RC Cola

Then the Cowboys may be in trouble. I remember seeing Emmitt make like 3 Cowboys miss just by faking them out, and this is from a guy that's beginning to get some gray facial hair. It will be fun, and not fun to see him Friday.

11. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I, like most of you, am very impressed with Moses but since it is only preseason I would like to see Vaugn challenge him more. Camp competition will only make for a stronger team.

Antwan Peek looked good but I anticipated that. Patrick Chukwurah seems to be quality depth. I hope our defense can make it through with as few scratches as possible(as our depth is limited).
    I want to see Jabar Gafney get a few tosses in his direction. The tight end battle is interesting as well; we have yet to see Joppru play and I'm interested in Rashod Kent's development.

Anyway>>>> Cowboys Suck<<<<<

Texans 27
    Cowboys 5

12. RC Cola

How are we getting a safety? Is Carr going to throw it backwards, out of the endzone so that we can get 2 points out of pity? If Saturday's team shows up, we probably won't be able to get past the line of scrimmage to pressure you guys.

I'm just messing around with them though. They may have just had a bad day pressuring the QB.

13. coma

coma Contributing Member

He's quicker than he is fast. The person who ran him down was the freak rookie, Andre Johnson.

14. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I'm not sure which of these it is. I have heard that it was Andre Johnson from some sources, but I remember hearing the interview insomyak is referring to, and he did say Hollings.

15. Jauquinsux

Jauquinsux Member

I say that if Jonathan Wells hasn't shown the Texans anything by the end of the preseason, seriously think about cutting this guy. He has no kind of moves and Hollings seems to be the back that he once was in college. I hope that he gets alot of carries against Dallas. But about the game, this isnt looking good for the Texans. It has injuries written all over it. The Cowgirls gotta be pretty pissed still about last season. H-town better be ready to bring it. Im out .

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Hopefully I'll get some pics up from the game... if I can win some tix on ebay....

Will know soon...

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's a toughie. I know he's young and the line sucked last year but he seems to not hit the hole as quick as he should.

A couple of games last year, the TV guys broke down some of his runs in super slo-mo. The line was actually opening up some decent holes for him and he was just missing them. One game, he was doing it repeatedly. I'm just not conviced about him.

I really want to see what Hollings can do. Is he still hurt or will he get some action this week?

Oh, and as far as the game? Who cares, it's preseason. The 'boys will probably blitz a lot. :rolleyes: They're still trying to live down 19-10. :cool:

18. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

I want to see Hollings tear it up. I saw him taking snaps in non-contact practice as a lead-in to Friday's game. I can't wait to see him tear it up. Texas Big 3, Part II - Carr, Johnson and Hollings.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the cowboys have a very real reason to want to win this game.

but make no mistake...the real thing was played last year.

19-10. ;)

20. RC Cola

Wow...things have kind of gotten interesting. Parcells announced today that QC will start tomorrow, which is no surprise since he said both he and Hutchinson, who started last week, will get a start each this preseason. Now the weird part is rookie free-agent QB Tony Romo will relieve QC of the job in the game, not Chad H. Don't know what this means, if anything. Parcells says that he just wants to see him play and that QC and CH are still the 2 competing and he just needs to see what the 3rd QB will look like, but I would think the 1st and 2nd QB's would get plenty of reps to show who is better, especially since both have shown about the same play: suckiness. (don't even know if that's a word.)

I will say Romo looked ok in the little bit I saw of him. He seemed to know where everyone was in the game last week and didn't miss by like 15 yds when throwing to them. He did make a dumb mistake by forcing a INT on a shovel pass, but it just looked like he was trying to get something going to put up something on the scoreboard. It will be interesting to see how he plays, I know that.

Man. :eek: :confused:

edit: You can go here if you want to read more:
    http://www.dallascowboys.com