1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis' BYC Status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 19, 2004.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

With potential offseason dealing heating up, there's alot of questions regarding Francis' BYC stats. Specifically, when does Francis' BYC status end? I did a little research and here's what I was able to find in the NBA CBA (not from Coon's explanation of the CBA).

Article VII, Section 6, item (h), subsection 4:

(iii) A player’s Base Year Compensation shall be computed as follows with respect to Contracts or Extensions entered into on or after July 1, 2001:

(A) During the first 365 days from the date a player’s Base Year Compensation goes into effect ("Year One"), his Base Year Compensation will equal the greater of (1) the Salary for the last Season of his preceding Contract or, in the case of an Extension, the last Season of the original term of the Contract, or (2) 50% of the Salary for Year One of his new Contract (or extended term, if applicable).

(B) A player’s Base Year Compensation will expire and be of no further effect on the 366th day of his new Contract (or extended term, if applicable).

Francis' contract was indeed signed after July 1 of 2001, so his BYC status wouldn't end until the 366 day from the start of his extension. Francis signed his deal in August, but that doesn't matter. What matters is when the first year of his extension went into effect.

The best answer that I can come up with is from looking at the standard NBA player's contract:

EXHIBIT A
    NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION UNIFORM PLAYER CONTRACT
    THIS AGREEMENT made this ______ day of ______________ is by and between ________________ (hereinafter called the "Team"), a member of the National Basketball Association (hereinafter called the "NBA" or "League") and _____________, an individual whose address is shown below (hereinafter called the "Player"). In consideration of the mutual promises hereinafter contained, the parties hereto promise and agree as follows:

1.TERM.

The Team hereby employs the Player as a skilled basketball player for a term of ______ year(s) from the 1st day of September ________.

Notice, from the TERM portion of the contract, that the contract has a start date of September 1st hardcoded. All the team gets to fill in is the length of the deal and the year. From that, I'd tend to think that the contracts went into effect September 1st. If that were correct, Francis wouldn't lose his BYC status until September 2nd.

The other possible date for the start of his BYC status was July 1st. Alot of things in the CBA start and end on July 1st, but I dont' see anything specifically stating that contracts start on July 1, so I have to believe that the date is September 1st from the standard contract. Even if the date were July 1, the NBA has a July moretorium where players and teams can negotiate, but no deals are allowed to be signed in July. So, even if Francis' BYC status had ended on July 1st, we still couldn't finalize a deal until Aug. 1st.

It's not a definitive answer, but in my opinion, Francis is BYC until Sept. 2nd. Even if I'm wrong, I think the best case would be Aug. 1st.

#1 aelliott, Jun 19, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

august huh? looks like doc was hinting towards that...

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

From Patricia:

We really would have to know the date he signed his contract. I'm thinking DocRocket knows it was signed on 8-3-03. This still doesn't proclude us from agreeing to deals. It just keeps it from being official until 8-3.

#3 Castor27, Jun 19, 2004
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/playerinfo_current.cfm?PlayerID=190

Francis signed a 7-year contract worth $85,000,000.00 on Aug 26, 2002. Will be a free Agent in 2009.

5. aelliott

Yeah, July 1st is what we've always assumed, I just can't find anything in the CBA to verify that.

Since Francis did sign an extension, the date of his signing is irrelevant. The relevant date would be July 1st, which is "July 1st preceding the first season of the extension". That would mean, as I said in my post, that we couldn't finalize a deal until August.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I'm looking at the actual CBA and I can't find anything that backs up that July 1st date.

BTW: That info you posted is from Larry Coon's FAQ. Bender simply has a link on her page to Coon's FAQ.

#5 aelliott, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Then maybe his BYC ends on July 1st. Player contracts expire on that date. His extension should have gone into effect on 7-1-03 which would make his BYC end on 7-1-04. With the freeze on player signings and movements held until 7-14 maybe that is really the first date we can finalize something. All of this is confusing!

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm still not sure where you get August from:confused: If the date is indeed July first shouldn't we be able to make a deal on July 14th when the player movement freeze is lifted?

8. aelliott

NBA CBA Article II, Section 12.

July Moratorium.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, no player and Team may enter into any oral or written agreement concerning terms and conditions of the player’s employment, or reduce any such agreement to writing in the form of a Uniform Player Contract or amendment, during the month of July. The foregoing sentence shall not preclude (i) a player from accepting any Required Tender or Qualifying Offer that is outstanding during the month of July, or (ii) a player and a Team from negotiating, during the month of July, over the terms and conditions of a Player Contract or Offer Sheet that may be entered into on or after August 1.

Not only can't you complete a deal in July, technically, teams can't even negotiate trades during July.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

aelliott, I am not familiar with the CBA, but could one not argue that there is now new "oral or written agreement concerning terms and conditions of the player’s employment", but instead a transfer of the rights and duties from an already existing such agreement, so that that provision would not be applicable with regards to a trade?

10. aelliott

Nope, but I looked at Coon's FAQ and the CBA was amended in 2001, to shorten the period. Here's Coon's comment:

89. What is the July Moratorium?
    It is a period during the month of July in which teams may not sign most free agents or make trades. Free agents become free on July 1, but the salary cap is not set until the audit report is completed later in the month. Teams and players must wait for the salary cap to be set before trades and most free agent signings can commence. Teams may negotiate with free agents beginning July 1, and may even agree to terms, but they have to wait until the moratorium ends before signing a contract.

When the CBA was signed, the July Moratorium was intended to last the entire month of July in every season. However, in 2001 the NBA and Players Union agreed to shorten the moratorium, in order to allow contract issues and personnel matters to be resolved sooner.

The Moratorium ends on the 15th this year, so deals can be finalized on July 16th.

#10 aelliott, Jun 19, 2004
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anyway, is it not a mere formality? I would think I can agree to anything at any time, and then just make it "official" whenever it can actually be consummated. Or are there any sanctions for tampering if you agree to something already earlier?

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, now we are on the same page. That was what I was saying. I didn't realize that you were talking about the pre 2001 agreement.

13. aelliott

The most likely scenario would be for the teams to reach an agreement prior to July 1st, then wait until the 16th to finalize the deal.

14. aelliott

It's the same agreement, it's just that the NBA players association doesn't show the amendments to the CBA on their site.

It still bugs me that I can't find anything in the CBA that definitively states when BYC status starts and ends.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If the trade is big enough between Houston and Orlando, we might only need part of the TE to make it happen prior to the draft. Then we'd still have TE left for possibly adding players from Charlotte's e-draft, or from whichever team.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If teams aren't allowed to negotiate in July and the NBA draft is in july and trades always happen on draft day, how exactly does that work?

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Teams and players must wait for the salary cap to be set before trades and most free agent signings can commence. Teams may negotiate with free agents beginning July 1, and may even agree to terms, but they have to wait until the moratorium ends before signing a contract.

you just can sign on the dotted line and make it "Official" until the deadline passes.

18. today

today Contributing Member

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=1823641

"The Magic want Jermaine O'Neal, but that isn't going to happen. Instead, they'd have to settle for a combination of Al Harrington and either Ron Artest or Jonathan Bender. If that's the way the Magic decide to go, they'd have to wait until June 30. That's the day both Artest and Bender lose their base-year compensation status, making them available to trade."

This may or may not be correct, but someone should be able to research when these guys signed their contracts, and that ought to give us a better idea of when Francis may lose his BYC status.

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I figured the June 30th date. It's almost like a loophole.

The CBA calls for 365 days of BYC status. This past year was a leap year! Hence, day 366 from July 1 isn't July 1, but June 30.

aelliott- I'm fairly sure they go from the date the contract is signed, because once it's signed, it is a guaranteed contract regardless of whether the employment season starts on Sept. 1 or not. I'll try and verify with an example.