1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox] Astros Officially for Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by University Blue, Nov 18, 2010.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Of course the Yankees will always get the advantage just due to the system (which is why I stopped following baseball). But people here act like the Astros were the Royals or the Marlins. My issue with Drayton was the post Clemens/Pettitte era and how he handled it.

It's a stupid system, but I'm not going to debate it here.

2. Puff

Puff Member

Just to be clear, I only used f-ing, because you did...

No offense taken... I respond to everything... Like Mark does...

And I would not say we are buddies... But I did have a good working relationship with him...

Thanks for having passion for our teams...

3. Puff

Puff Member

As soon as the story broke, I emailed Mark... I asked him if he had any interest... He responded immediately saying no...

Good question. But IMO do you ask that anytime a reporter breaks a story? Just curious, but it was a good question. Like with Berman, did you take it as fact when he broke it? Probably, because Berman does break everything... Dude is money!

4. msn

msn Member

surely you're not surprised by fans being disingenuous? :)

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

@MyFoxHouston: NY Attorney Interested in Astros: First on FOX: On the day Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane announced he had... http://bit.ly/90LQNo

6. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Sound like he'll be broke once he buys the team. How on earth is he going to make a splash in the market for all star players? <--- That's where mark cuban comes in handy. Come on cuban do it!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I just saw Mrs. McLane on Channel 13. She said they needed to sell the team so they could provide for their family. What???? I didn't realize they were in such dire straits.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds like a w****.

10. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

WTH!!! Is she related to
    I GOT MY FAMILIES TO FEED
    [​IMG]

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

do i ask what? not sure what you are asking. your tweet could have meant that he had said that to you in the past, or that he told you that after drayton made his announcement. you didn't specify. the info would have been useful either way, but one form of it way more pertinent than the other. my initial response was admittedly unnecessary, and, like i mentioned, took away from my actual point/question (was that cuban response new or old?).

sure i took it as fact when berman broke that. i'm not really sure if the reason that i believe so is because it goes through the filter of fox, or just common sense that berman wouldn't make up out of thin air that drayton is selling, but it doesn't make sense to me to hear that story then say "i think berman is making this all up".

it sounds like you are wondering why there are people who might not accept your tweets as a legit source of scoop. i think if your tweet said "spoke to mark cuban after news broke. said not interested.", i'd accept that as fact too. or at least give you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't lie about something like that.

it wasn't that i didn't believe your tweet (and yes, i realize that my post indicated otherwise), just that your email exchange with cuban could have been at any point in time prior to drayton's announcement, which would have made cuban saying he wasn't interested somewhat meaningless.

12. Buck Turgidson

Estate planning. If his kids are not interested in being long-term owners, it's better to sell while he's alive. Drayton has also mentioned pursuing charitable interests, which is where I imagine some of these proceeds will go.

But yeah, stupid thing for her to say, though I didn't hear the actual quote or context.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really hope so. I think Brad Mills is a great manager. And say what you want about Ed Wade, but he's done an outstanding job turning the organization around.

Solid drafts (signing more picks than any other club), expanding our international scouting and development, making some very servicable free agent signings and trades and just staying the course. All while knocking 60 million off the payroll.

14. RocketMania1991

Precisely, Wade has done almost everything this franchise has needed.

Need to get Younger? Check
    Lower Payroll and dump large salaries? Check
    Sign Draft Picks? Check
    Sign more foreign born players? Check

People question some of his signing like Lyon, but he was very useful last year and played a key role coming out of the bull-pen.

Besides 3 years 15 million dollars isn't going to hurt a club that is in rebuilding mode.

1 person likes this.
  15. msn

msn Member

good post.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/101208-sources:-stan-kasten-interested-in-astros

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. I wonder if Wade can do as well in the next portion of the job - the one where we take the step from rebuilding to contending. It's as difficult to get that step right as it is to make the commitment to rebuild.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Seems like Kasten has only been involved with losing teams, hopefully he doesn't succeed in buying the team.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

????

During his stint with the Hawks he won back-to-back NBA Executive of the year awards (1985-1986, 1986-1987). Kasten is the only NBA executive to win the award in consecutive years.

During his stint as president of the Braves they won more games from 1987 to 2003 than any other team in baseball.

20. msn

msn Member

...is this as potentially good for the Astros as it seems it could be?