1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox] Astros Officially for Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by University Blue, Nov 18, 2010.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think you just pwned yourself. Your second direct response to a post that pwned you. lol

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Kind of sad really, guy was a good owner big picture. Hopefully someone buys the team with good vision and deep pocket books who isn't afraid of taking risks.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

sometimes one gets pwned so hard that one is forced to then pwn himself.

1 person likes this.
  4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

In all seriousness, way to take it like man. None of us have fired off a somewhat angry post and were pwned as a result. Decent folk admit they were wrong, put on the flame suit, and walk into the fire.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I mean "All of us.."

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Hooray for him selling but I wish he'd sold early enough that Nolan Ryan could have bought the team.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

the most unfortunate part of my pwning was that my original tone ruined the question that still is unclear to me from his tweet and subsequent post, which he could have answered if he wasn't forced to pwn me (although maybe he never would have responded in the thread if not for the explicit reason to pwn and teach a lesson anyway?).

did he hear that from cuban yesterday, or at some earlier date in time, when the possibility of ownership was a concept rather than a reality? big difference, obviously.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Make sense of it if you can. ;) If not, my apologies.

Drayton McLane:

Good afternoon. Thanks for interrupting your day. Thanks for coming. Shows you care about the Astros and the plans going forward. Speculation last few weeks for our family. Id like to start with my family, who remembers in July 1992 when we were on the floor of the AStrodome and John McMullen introduced us. I thought I knew what I was going into. I had to learn basbeball. One of my greatest experiences. We've learned a lot. Our family has loved being involved. 18 years later, a few gray hairs. It's time to change and move forward. Interesting times when we first started. OUr grocery business was owend and started by my grandfather and then father. Our family was a privately owned firmed. Met with all of our employees and told an interesting story. Kenny Hand heard a rumor a family in Temple Texas was trying to buy the Astros. He thought he'd try to get the inside on McLane family. Kenny decided to call my fathers house and said he would like to speak to Drayton. Is it important? Yes. When we awake him, he has a hard time focusing. Can we call you back? How old is he? He's 92 years old. Is he buying the baseball team? NOt to my knowledge. Is there another Drayton? She gave him my number. When Kenny called there, Drayton answered and said I am Drayton. Kenny was confused. Are you buying the team? No my dad is. That was my intro to the MLB and the Astros. We've enjoyed the ride. oUr goal was to be a champion and we've worked so hard to do so. I can tell you everything about 05. Great experience. So many good things have happened here. MMP - 3 million in attendance. In 11 years, 30 million people have come to our games. We also said we want to be champions and do our best. 2nd was getting a baseball team and its players to get involved in the community. We've done thousands and thousands of things in the community. Other experiences was the building of MMP. Wild ride there. If you remember in 96, we campaigned for 3 months and we won 50.7. If not for that .7, we wouldnt be here. That was the beginning of our ballpark. We think its one of the best. PLayers and fans enjoy it. We hosted the o4 ASG. Astros invested in the Urban Youth Academy. Young players can get ML instruction. When we named our ballpark, we wanted to do many things. One requirement was...work together to redo one of the urban ballparks. 11 have since been done. Also mission is to try and build better economic partnership. Just recently, announced a RSN program that the Astros have done with the Rockets. Starts in October 2012. GOnna be an important to not only Astros but Rockets. Only 6 teams where the owner has been there longer. Also have to look as a family, we're one of the few sports owners who is owned by our family. Question might come up, only interested in selling the team? Smith and Wade, we believe we hve the foundation. Have a minor league system on the improvement. Invested greatly in the draft and in the Dominican Republic. When it's over, if we go look at the stadium, spending 12 million on a new scoreboard. We have what we think is a franchise that is stable, MLB is stable. Just came back from the owners meetings. never seen baseball in more stable condition. Announcing today, the Astros are up for sale. No buyers in mind but something we will explore. Lectured by Elizabeth, before we select a buyer, to select the right guy. Allen & Co. and Steve Greenberg will be involved. As I finish, baseball has been a wonderful experience. Thinking back to the 18 seasons that represents 2000+ games. A lot of emotion there. 800+ Spring Training games. Something that has molded our family together. We have loved the Astros. Important part of our lives. Like to thank the media. Yall are part of what makes a great franchise better. Mentor to me early was Neil Holyfield. Someone I learned from. Media very important to the Astros fans and fans all over. Pam, Ed, and Tal, thank you all. To the political leaders, they played an important part. BUsiness leaders also played an important role. Best part of the game, I'd get up in the 2nd inning and meet thousands and thousands of people. We'll take questions. One on one's later.

Didnt get them all but some:

Expected timeline?

DM: There isnt one. We havent seeked a buyer. People haved asked me about this in the past few months. Steve Greenberg and Allen will help out.

Benchmark for Sales for Rangers. Starting point there?

DM: We'll see where the market is. If we're not pleased, we'll withdraw it. We havent set a price. Working with Steve and our family, that # will emerge.

Intrigued the Rangers went for that much?

DM: That is a lot and encouraging.

Interested in partial ownership?

DM: Depends on the buyer. have to work out with the buyer.

See it difficult to walk away?

DM: That is the thrill and excitement. You miss the relationships. I cant wait until we light up the new scoreboard. Hope they invite me.

Any uncertainty regarding season tickets?

DM: No, look at the team of the latter half of this past season. Got some young players and some talented guys in the minors a year or 2 away. Maybe get another Brett Myers. Spending 12 mil to enhance the experience at MMP. We didnt have to do that. We're investing hard to make this a great expierence.

Want someone from Texas?

DM: Somewhat important. They'd be engaged or involved. Some other teams have bought from outside the market but then moved. Being engaged is the fun part.

How does this affect offseason?

DM: Things are the same as if we'd own the next 20 years. Business as usual. We'll continue to run the team. Full speed ahead.

Level of interest?

DM: Officially, today is the day. You guys got ahead of me by a day.

COme close in the past?

DM: Individuals have talked to myself or Pam. We wanted a person who is highly experienced in this. This is an organized thing. Just firing the pistol today.

What is different now? You said its time for change. What is different this time?

DM: Not sure anything is different. Just 18 years going. Family owns it entirely and few of those in sports. No issues really. I'm strong in the economy. Texas has the best economy.

Timing is the key, isnt it?

DM: When I announced in 1960s, I had no idea Id own a team for 18 years. Fun experience.

Consider passing it along in the family?

DM: We considered. Sons have developed their careers. They wanted to be themselves. When we determined that, thats when we decided to put it up for sale.

When it's sold, it's an unknown time.

DM: Absolutely. Could be 3 months or 3 years.

You have a chance to look at the offers and where you want to go.

DM: You know, something that was asked at the conference, we do not want to sell unless someone of high integrity, values and who wants to be involved here in Houston.

DM: I feel it is time after 18 years. But we arent slowing down. Putting up one of the biggest scoreboards. Investing in the team and minor league teams.

Wont say goodbye yet but thanks for the memories.

DM: I look forward to Spring Training.

Ed Wade:

Made a trade yesterday. Owner says we're for sale. Could be unsteady.

EW: Yeah Drayton made it clear, even if this becomes a certainty, it will be business as usual. From emotional standpoint, different not seeing Drayton own the team. But he can go out how he wants.

He said he'd like to go out as a winner.

EW: Yeah, works the same for me too. It's the goal. Our plan hasnt changed.

EW: When I got here, I heard about his repuation but that isnt the case.

Committment made to farm system. All indications looking long term.

EW: Yeah.

You made a move, assume not done?

EW: Yeah, tough on Barmes last year on and off the field. Can hit the gaps and out of the ballpark. Still dependent on the core guys like Lee and Pence.

Steve Greenberg:

SG: Right after MLB, I went to law school and here I am.

LETs talk about this situation. Selling of the Astros.

Some have apporached, now the official announcment. What does it do for you?

SG: Makes a difference. Drayton has said he has an asset for sale. It's clear the decision he wants to make. We now expect to get serious buyers. One of the premire franchises in Houston.

How long? How long might this take?

SG: You should take a rest. No interviews daily. Typically 6-12 months. We wont rush it. We'll see what develops.

You expect a number of buyers?

SG: Yeah, many wish to get into MLB/own a team.

Patti SMith:

You had a lot of dealings with Drayton. Worked with him. Bitter sweet.

PS: Absolutely. Love Drayton and his family. He cares about who ends up with this team. He wants to sell with the right people.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain it was yesterday, because Levine of the Chronicle also confirmed Cuban emailing him (today). Trust me, I know it sounds weird, but Cuban really is that forthcoming with his email. He's responded to me on an instant's notice too (though not on this).

10. msn

msn Member

Is it splash time fellas?

• Winter 1979: John McMullen purchases Astros. Strikeout king and no-hitter hurling Nolan Ryan signed to FA contract.
    • Winter 1991: Drayton McLane purchases the Astros. Former Cy Young winner Doug Drabek and Greg Swindell signed.
    • Winter 2010: ?? :grin:

11. rockets934life

Winter 2011

[​IMG]

By the way, awesome stuff hsf09...didn't realize that Greenberg's interview had been made available.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

would you rather have an owner like drayton or an owner like huizenga or loria from the marlins who won 2 titles but otherwise suck?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Says the 'member'.

14. msn

msn Member

dude.

that. would. ROCK. :grin:

15. rockets934life

I'm half joking but half serious. I was reading the fool wants a bigger deal then want ARod got which would sky rocket the Cards payroll close to 100 million WITHOUT new contracts for Carpenter and Wainwright.

The new owner will probably be in place by midseason 2011 and will be trying to make a splash, what bigger splash then Mr. Pujols. Carlos Lee's deal will be almost over which would make it much more attractive for a new owner knowing 18 million will be able at the end of 2012.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd love to see Bags/Biggio with a minority interest in the team. It is unlikely, but I'd love to see it. Regardless I hope the new owner keeps our former legends involved like McLane did with Ryan, Clemens(Of course steroids have ruined his rep since), Bags, & Biggio.

17. msn

msn Member

I realize these contracts are rifrickindiculous, but isn't Pujols better than ARod? :grin:

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I thought fans hated meddlesome owners, so why the love for Mark Cuban?

And payroll wasn't really an issue. It was more like spending poorly like not signing draft picks the same year Carlos Lee/Woody Williams is signed.

19. rockets934life

For sure, I called him fool because it's just mind boggling to imagine anyone asking for 30 million a year to hit a baseball..haha

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

to the yankees, payroll isn't an issue. to the other 29 teams, it is (and rightfully so).

i think those hoping for cuban also have it in their head that he'd be willing to hand blank checks to any free agents that he's pursuing.