1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox] Astros Officially for Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by University Blue, Nov 18, 2010.

1. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

This may be the best news astros fan could hope for...
    A new owner, to me, is like a new gm, where there needs to be instant changes.
    Whoever it will be will want us to win soon and i think will give Wade the encouragement to go get Crawford or Lee...hopefully this happens soon

2. Major

Major Member

For all the "this team will never win under McScrooge" people, this says it all.

3. Mashing

Mashing Member

I don't like McClane's decisions anymore but you're deluded if you do not feel he is the best owner the Astros ever had. I have to give him props for all of the playoff appearances we had.

4. Poloshirtbandit

After one season you'll say the same about the next owner.

I just hope the Astros don't turn into the Pirates.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

4th best record in the NL since he's been owner, 5th most postseasons of all baseball teams. All those .500 seasons and strong finishes to mediocre seasons added up over time to make the overall record respectable. Though the past few years have felt like .300 seasons because everyone sensed and saw the hump as high as Tal's Hill that the Astros could not get over or WERE not going to get over. Definitely still have to credit Drayton for the overall product. We're not going to know if the next person has more or less baseball expertise, can at least hope the next person has as much commitment.

6. RocketMania1991

We don't need/want Carl Crawford.............................

Left Fielder who is about to be in his 30s and will command a huge contract.

Does this sound familiar?

Cliff Lee could be a good ace for the staff but no way we outbid the other clubs.

The smart move is to stand pat and continue to draft well and see what our youngsters have.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

all the rules go out the window if somebody like cuban is the owner and is willing to give the team a $200mm budget. sign everybody!

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I remember when McLane bought the club, he made two significant splashes early on in Drabek and Swindell. I would imagine, if someone pays 800 MILLION :grin: to buy the club they won't be sitting on their hands but rather try to make an instant impact.

#28 rockets934life, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  9. RocketMania1991

Well of course if we had that much payroll room I'd say sign Jeter for 30M just to spite the Yankees.

10. everyday eddie

Im not trying to devalue what Drayton has accomplished here as an owner. The problem for me was that it seemed like there were times when we were contenders that he refused to get that "final piece to the puzzle". Some players even called him out on it(Wagner).

Also, he has refused to sign draft picks and that's another reason why the farm system is so weak at the moment.

But like most of you say, hopefully the new ownership will be commited.

11. The Situation

The Situation Member

[​IMG].

Come on Cubes!!!

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, i wish i had $800 million right now.

1 person likes this.
  13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I hope the new owner gets of the current home pinstripe uniforms. Those are terrible. Bring back the uniforms from the 1965 season. BEST EVAHHHHHHHHHA!

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

via twitter

too bad

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

ha. i had an email exchange with cuban and he said he was interested. 2 worthless sources.

why would mark cuban respond to david f'ing nuno within 3 hours of that announcement?

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

why not?

What local reporter would you trust?

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

dont know, not an out of context blurb from him, that's for sure. he could be referring to an email conversation he had 3 years ago for all we know.

i can't imagine that both david nuno is a) close enough to cuban, and b) cuban has nothing better going on than to instantly fire back an email to david nuno to just accept that tweet at face value and move on.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally believe Drayton is an okay owner. He may look good relatively speaking because Houston owners have generally been pretty craptastic. He has many good points, but also many bad ones.

In general, I just want an owner who will spend. Unfortunately due to the MLB's lack of a salary cap, you NEED money to sustain excellence. And any owner unwilling to open the checkbook will be horrible. This isn't like the NFL or even the NBA, where there's some semblance of cost certainty. I do believe money is a necessity. And whether the owner is smart enough to hire the right people to spend that money wisely? That's a roll of the dice.

You mean you didn't before? ;)

19. Poloshirtbandit

Nuno worked for the Mavs for a while before coming to radio here, but no idea how close he is with Cuban.

20. Poloshirtbandit

O rly?

19. Cincinnati Reds $72,386,544 $2,784,098
    21. Tampa Bay Rays $71,923,471 $2,663,832
    27. Texas Rangers $55,250,545 $1,905,191
    29. San Diego Padres $37,799,300 $1,453,819

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries/teams