1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget everything else, therre is ONE reason why the Rockets blew this game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Jan 24, 2001.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Rudy's coaching. I couldn't believe my eyes when Hakeem was taken out of the game. Sure, he was tired, but who cares. The Rockets were pretty much shutting down the 76ers until he came out of the game. I like Kenny, but he can NOT guard larger players. Ratliff and Hill had it easy when Hakeem was taken out. And that was that. The Rockets handed this one away.
    Why did Rudy take Hakeem out? Why didn't he put him in during overtime? They were doing so well defensively, but couldn't stop anyone when they went with the midget lineup. Look, Rudy might be a nice scout, but he is no longer a good coach. A stupid decision cost the Rockets a game they should have one. Especially since the Sixers brought their "D" game tonight.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because players could just outrun him down the court and score. Or, you risk a potentially dangerous situation if Dream injures himself. Dream ASKED to be taken out of the game. He gave Rudy the signal. When you are dealing with a player coming back from a knee injury, you do NOT ignore him when he tells you he needs out. That would be just stupid.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

What would a Rocket loss be without a post from ZRB overreacting?

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

4. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

The Rockets lost because they could not get an offensive rebound. They lost because they could not make a shot. They lost because they were tired. They lost for alot of reason, least of which was Rudy. I would have put him back in during overtime also but its not like they were tearing it up when Hakeem was in either.

------------------

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Hakeem was rebounding and blocking shots. If he had been in for Kenny Thomas, Hill would not have gotten that rebound. Hakeem was playing brilliantly tonight. Even if he did ask to come out, Rudy should have put him back in with about 2 minutes left. The 76ers were able to simply pick rebounds over Kenny Thomas' head. They gave up offensive boards with 2 seconds on the shot clock. HAKEEM WAS REBOUNDING VERY WELL!
    RUDY should have put him back in.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

6. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Well, unless it's Kelvin Cato. [​IMG]

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."

7. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I have to disagree with you ZRB. They were not picking rebounds over Kenny's head. The Rockets were simply noy blocking out. Maybe Hekeem would have blocked out but there is know way to say for sure.

------------------

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What would a loss be without ZRB attempting to find some way to increase Hakeem's god-liness while at the same time down-playing the importance of the rest of the team's contributions?

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

7 boards in 18 minutes. How can you argue with that? He could have helped the Rockets get a big win, instead, Rudy glued him to the bench. I don't know what he needs to do to get play-time. He did just what you guys want. Rebounds and defense.

------------------

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

How did I know what this thread was going to say when I read the headline? [​IMG]

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

11. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

No the one reason the Rockets lost was...

At the end of overtime the Sixers had one more point.

I'm no NBA expert but I'm positive that's why.

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Seems like the writers from the Houston Chronicle agree with me. WHERE WAS THE DAMN DREAM???? He is what could make this team a playoff contender, and give the younger Rockets experience with winning games. Instead, Rudy benches him. The Rockets can not continue to lose like this. Eventually, they will just learn how to lose, not win.

------------------

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Turn,

You're wrong again. When your 38 year old center, the guy that's been complaining for the past 3 years... when he waves to the bench after a 12-15 game hiatus he imposed upon himself w/ a trade/waive demand... you sit him.

The Rockets lost. Get over it.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

ZRB . . . WHERE WAS THE DAMN DREAM AGAINST THE NUGGETS!!??

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

15. Live

Live Member

There is something that I would like to see the Rockets work on, and that's trying harder to establish an interior offensive presence. I mean, I understand that Mo and Kenny didn't have the greatest shooting performances, but the Rockets are giving up on, as Dream would say, "establishing the post" just too early.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I thought Carlos Rogers could have helped last night. The guy just has a nose for the ball.

17. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I agree the team needed dreams presence in there last night. Mo and Kenny just can't go up against Ratliff. If I'm not mistaken, Dream at least caused Ratliff to pick up a couple of fouls to get him out of there, and that when the Rockets started making their comback in the first half. Also, with playing time, even though he's 38, Hakeem would be the best rebounder on this team, which is why he needed to be in there to help on the boards.

------------------

18. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

I agree 100% with you ZRB. Why did he take him out? Kenny Thomas was too little to defend Tyrone Hill or Theo Ratliff. If you recall that when the game was tied in regulation and the Rox needed a stop on defense it was Kenny's man that was able to get an easy score with a jump hook.

Hakeem had 7 rebounds and 3 blocks and 2 steals in 18 minutes. I cant understand why Rudy at least didnt put him back in for the overtime so we would at least have a chance to get the tip so we could have the first chance of getting to score.

And one last thing, I am actually getting upset at CAT's shot selection in the last few games. He really doesnt have a conscious and he has made some bonehead plays. I have always defended CAT before this game but I am starting to wonder. Do you think Rudy's comment about him being one of the best players in the game has somehow warped his reality?

I promised you this guy can get to the rim anytime that he wants but he settles for the jumpshot and that is what kills me.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

19. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Ohmigod! ZRB of the BBS = Turn of the chat room? Man, this makes so much sense.

20. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I don't care if Hakeem asked to be taken out, Rudy should have had the balls to put him back in with 2 minutes left. He should have at least put Carlos in, because Kenny has proven that he cannot guard 7 footers. And why should he be expected to? He is only 6-7. Two nights in a row, Rudy put the wrong player into the lineup. It was Bullard with Denver, and Thomas with Philly. The Rockets had a chance to prove themselves against a great team, and they Rudy HELPED them to choke it away. I can't blame Rudy completely, but he was a huge part of an inexcusable loss.

------------------