1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forcing minutes = growth ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 18, 2023.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think the rockets need to reevaluate their maxim on this one.

Clearly , from Jalens rookie year we are forcing an abundance of minutes on him . Limiting others minutes, the joint effort culminating in losing, has been our strategy.

Losing effects your behavior / lobster brain

Furthermore you deprive those deserving and opportunity to build chemistry .

Jaesean Tate and alperen sengun need to play together . They need to play with a variety of teammates: Jabari, kmj , Tari, Gordon, Matthew's, garuba , kpj , and yes green.

But stop giving Jalen so many minutes where he's clearly lost for some time . He needs to be more diligent about playing with purpose . Having to earn your time will do that for you .

**** Josh Christopher could use a second chance right now, if he's putting in the work .

Asking a 20 year old green to put in the work necessary outside of the game to get better (since he has less experience ) AND play 36 minutes a game is an impossible task

We are overfeeding him . I'm worried about burnout .

Imagine you have a strong competitive instinct and then you just start getting your ass kicked all the time . Idk how that doesn't warp you in some way . I have a harder time imagineing positive than negative.

Kpj at least has a more mature body already and kind of ramped up his usage. Also he played on a team with wood , wall , oladipo too I believe. We've given him a lot of leash too. And more of a primary role than he earned

But he's better , or at least he's been better .

You can argue sengun , who has only gotten the minutes he's managed to scrape for ...and maybe even been suppressed, has shown more growth .

It can make you work harder , watch the game from the bench , and critically think about what you can add to the team .

Furthermore when a losing situation gets really bad it can turn that positive mindset off . Especially for an immature team . Maybe Josh Christopher got a bad attitude at some point.

I wonder how much healthy competition is going on behind the scenes ? Asking NBA players that haven't made it yet to push ambition to the future is a tough sell .

We should kick green and kpj off their pedestals. Force them to compete. We secured a good enough tanking spot . And I'm sure Sengun will have to be load managed at some point . And of course we will get injuries .

Anyways, lower KPJ and green down to 20 MPG until they prove it. Bump Tate to 28 , sengun to 32 . Smith down to 25 and open up the rest for competition .

We have a college roster. Might as well play 10-11 guys and only play guys longer if they are killing it.

My guess is kpj would respond and earn minutes, green would shrink. Let it happen. Forcing minutes on is bad juju

Jontro likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean bad timing to suggest letting Green play 20 minutes a game but hey at least a lot more people would have been brave enough to agree with you a few hours ago.

Mathloom and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Put in JC more, and you'll be sorry almost immediately. I don't think it is a matter of playing more or less. Green, JC, Tari, they all need good coaching and veteran presence at this point in this careers. And they have none. Sengun improved, because he came here much more experienced, his fundamental basketball training is much better compared to these guys and finally character makes a difference. If he were give more opportunities he would have improved earlier.

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

just a thinly disguised Tate is the best player on this team thread...
    and i somewhat approve it
    however not happening...theres just not incentive in nba to win or to develop...so ppl juts dont care in general except a few individuals that are doing it for their own satisfaction...nba is a circus

Jontro and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

NBA is a business first, so there is definitely an incentive to win. Increased attendance, merchandising, playoff games, national TV games, etc… all increase revenue.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The players know how the NBA works. They know that Chris Paul plays more "the right way" than Shaquille O'Neal but that has not mattered at all in the quest for a title. The laws of the universe don't apply in a game with artificial rules. Effort doesn't win out in the NBA. Passing is really noble but it's nowhere near as important as scoring, even if the scorer is not unselfish. Defense is more important than passing and all of our young guys suck at defense except Jabari.

These players have to understand the NBA. Jalen Green can be worth more than $30-40m of production in a couple of years and up until a week ago he was the only one on the roster flashing that ceiling value. That's why you give him the most attention and the longest leash. If you bench him, you lose that chip before his extension kicks in and your investment is down the drain. There are organizations and coaches who can develop him to his potential (and you can be one of them or not). Any coach would take Green and bet on making him a star scorer on a contender, even if he's been making poor choices at age 20.

It's not a good idea. I don't believe doing things the ethical way necessarily ends up winning more titles. All the Spurs and Rockets titles were spearheaded by players who were acquired by shameless tanking. If you want a winning environment, go acquire a star right now like David Robinson, Ralph Sampson or Shaquille O'Neal. Then and only then can you excuse reducing the repetitions for your top picks. When you've given them a chance.

Imagine punishing Green for playing on the worst spaced team with no PG that is trying to lose as many games as possible. That's a terrifyingly bad message to send. I vote "f*ck no" to this idea (with all due respect OP).

#6 Mathloom, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Believe It! likes this.