1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For you atheists out there, what is your stance on the spirit world?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by htownrox1, Feb 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You know like angels, demons, the devil?

Just curious.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nonexistent, but a nice idea.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nonexistent, but a nice idea.

Many of my favorite movies involve the subject...

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

How about ghosts and haunted houses? -- just wanted to get into the spirit of things.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

do you mean like spirits in a material world?

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

they're great characters. just like god.

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Nope, nope, aaaaand nope.

This question should have had a painfully obvious answer for you. Why would someone who doesn't believe in God believe in angels, demons, or the devil? That would be some horrendous cognitive dissonance if someone were to think like that.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Where does the answer lie? Living from day to day?

If it's something we can't buy, there must be another way.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I know a few atheists who believe in the spirit world but not God. It struck me as quite odd, hence this thread. They said that weird stuff has happened in their life that made them believe. Things like playing with the ouija board, having strange paranormal things happen at their house, witness demon possessions, etc.

There are many paranormal, supernatural things that happened in this world that can't be ignored. So yall just throw it out and say it's a "nice idea". Hmmm ok.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yea, pretty much.

I don't see how some people are so confused by us atheists.

Its very simple no angels, no god, no devil.

You live then you die, nothing afterward. We don't chose to feel this way, we just do. Its like believing in santa claus to us.

I of course can't be 100% sure, nobody can. But i'm certainly confident enough to risk eternity in hell.

1 person likes this.
  11. Depressio

No there aren't. There are many things that haven't been explained yet, but just because there's no scientific explanation for something doesn't make it paranormal/supernatural. Don't just fill every gap in knowledge with some supernatural thing (God, ghosts, demons, angels, etc.) because it's easy to do so.

12. Dei

Dei Member

They are not atheist enough. Pretty sure if I put a gun to their heads, they'd start praying.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do yall believe in free will?

14. Depressio

Yes. Why wouldn't I?

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm not so sure of your conclusions as you. I owned a house in Oak Forest back in the 80s. During the process of buying it from three sisters, I found out that their 90-year-old parents had died in the house one month apart.

When I came home late, I tended to leave my suit coat on the chair in the living room. In the morning it would be on the floor or the couch but never on the chair (I later found out my easy chair was in the same spot where the wife's chair had been). I didn't think anything about it because I figured I just didn't remember where I had put my coat.

If I left a dirty glass on the drain, it suddenly moved to the sink when I wasn't looking. There were a lot of other strange occurences like the little cloud that would disappear into the wall when I walked into the hall unexpectedly. But I never worried about the oddities -- they were just part of the house.

I had a girlfriend named Karen back then and, when she considered moving in, I told her about the oddities. She scoffed and gave me grief. I told her to leave a glass on the drain, which she did. Then she turned around to call me from the living room, and the glass was in the sink. She shrieked and wouldn't set foot in the house again. I had to change girlfriends.

I can't explain it logically, but there it is.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. There are TONS of stories like this. Sure you could avoid the topic altogether and say it's not supernatural or paranormal and claim it just hasn't been explained scientifically yet... But you'd be waiting forever because some things can't be explained. My father told me a story that scared the crap outta him.

My father was born and raised in Galveston and became a cop right after high school. He was a cop for around 10 years. My point being that he saw a lot of stuff as a cop and became a really tough man. Anyway at the time, he was living by himself in a two story house. He said that in his kitchen he had a small chandelier right above the table with little crystals all around it. One night he comes home late, LOCKS the doors and goes straight to bed. The next morning he wakes up and the chandelier was laying on the table with the crystals perfectly spread out in a circle. He heard no crash of a falling chandelier or no one breaking into the house. He said he almost crapped his pants. He can handle a gun being pointed at his head (actually happened) but when he sees something that was probably paranormal he freaked out.

Now that was just one instance of weird stuff that would happen in that house, but needless to say it was obviously not normal.

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

The mystery of everything is completely out of any humans comprehension.

We are all zeros in a gigantic mysterious universe.

Were there demons billions of years ago when there was only dinosaurs? Dinosaur devil?

Humans are just great story tellers. Brain washers.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

....ghost on the other hand.

I am 99% sure I have seen a ghost.

So what the ****.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Not necessarily.

Not that big of a mystery.

Nope.

Some are.

20. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Climb out of the box and expand your brain.

Leave earth for a minute.

There is 99.9% of "something" out there that we will never know about.

Pretty mysterious.

The question..."Why?" and "When" will never be answered.