1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[for basso]Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I know you aren't anti gay, but I thought you should see what real disrespect for the troops looks like. I wonder what side of the political isle these guys are on? Anyways, I would say that I hope you see the difference, but I know this is pointless because you already know the difference and just don't care. You know people protesting the war aren't "taunting" the troops or rooting for them to get killed. To take a page out of your book, I know that you are always hoping that some group of liberals will do something as disgusting as this church. Too bad though, it takes a radical religious right wing group to stoop this low.

Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals
    By BETH RUCKER, Associated Press Writer

SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."

"But for them to come during the worst time for this family — it's just wrong."

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Enough said. :)

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i almost posted this myself but didn't want to give these pathetic idiots any more publicity.

an editorialst in Clarksville, TN, says it better than i could:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/OPINION01/508270326/1014/NEWS01

-----
    small, pitiful groups of perverse traitors cloaked in a warped, hate-filled and degraded version of Christianity are tirelessly traveling across America, cruelly protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq.

They are scheduled to stop in Middle Tennessee today, in Smyrna and Ashland City, to dishonor the solemn services and add to the horror and grief of those who mourn Staff Sgt. Asbury F. Hawn of Lebanon and Spc. Gary Reese Jr. of Ashland City. The Army National Guardsmen served together in the 278th Regimental Combat Team and died in an enemy attack Aug. 13 in Iraq.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., will be there, not to spread the comforting Gospel of Jesus Christ, but to spew a disgustingly vulgar and crude message of gay hatred while celebrating the death of U.S. soldiers.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sounds more like a really weird family than a church.

The thread title is a LIE.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course in this article it actually mentions a church protesting at GI Funerals.

In the other thread that was labeled a lie it never mentioned what the thread title claimed the article was about.

There is a huge difference.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why are Christians so intolerant?

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Wow! So instead of using a domain name that mentions the Church's name, instead they choose one that mentions the message. That's one passionate group of anti-fags :rolleyes:

Anyways, a much larger, wealthier, and more influential leader actually made a similar comment following the 9/11 attacks, remember? His name was Jerry Falwell, and his 'church' or establishment is hardly a small one.

I think everyone on this board and elsewhere would benefit from understanding this basic fact of human reality: there are idiots running around everywhere in the world, belonging to every creed and culture, and professing every imaginable faith/ideology.

Once people understand that basic fact, it will be a lot easier to come to grips with stories like this one.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You guys probably aren't familiar with Fred Phelps and his nutty clan...

This has been going on forever... they just now found a new target to protest in front of. For example, if a local school in Kansas was performing a play that even acknowledged the existance of gay people, they'll be there to protest. If anything anywhere does anything but condemn homosexuals they'll be there. The worst thing about him is that he really doesnt preach anything other than hatred of gays. Literally, its less a Christian church and more of an anti-gay group.

Its sad and disheartening to see that he went from high school plays to military funerals but unfortunately that's what happens with this clown.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but in the interest of intellectual fairness I'm not sure if these guys are taunting or mocking the troops but are also using the troops as a prop for their message. In this case their protest seems aimed at society at large which they seem to think is responsible for causing the deaths of the soldiers.

Of course following their logic perhaps they should direct their anger at God since why would God punish soldiers of an army that legally doesn't even allow gays to serve.

Then again its probably not a good idea to try to get into the head of Phelps and his band.

11. cson

cson Contributing Member

If your God isn't peace, you should consider changing your mind.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Phelps is an ass clown.. and has been one for quite some time.

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I guess the devil himself could claim to be a Christian.

sad.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It seems that for someone to hate homosexuals so much they would have to have their own suppressed sexuality issues.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

No question about it.....

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

And yet you found it necessary to give the pathetic idiots at Walter Reed more publicity than the supposedly liberal MSM has? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#16 GladiatoRowdy, Aug 29, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm amazed that this guy says these things.

i'm even more amazed that God loves him, anyway. but what a horrible way to spend your life.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Fred Phelps make Pat Robertson look normal. :(

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, andy never thinks before he posts...

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about???