1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOOD] Best Classy Brunch Buffet in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, Feb 13, 2014.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Hey everyone...

I've long been of the opinion that a good breakfast buffet, slowly enjoyed with an endless supply of breakfast booze (mimosas and bloody mary's), is possibly the greatest thing we've ever created as human beings. The places around town I have been to (and love):

Baba Yega in the Montrose
    Rio Ranch west of the Galleria
    Le Peep just north of 59.

While I love those places, I'd like to try something new that's also in the same vein. The places that have been recommended to me are:

Farrago (now closed, I hear)
    Hugo's
    Backstreet Cafe
    Le Peep (been there... not classy enough)
    Olivette @ The Houstonian (not a buffet)
    Mockingbird Cafe
    Pondicheri

I imagine not all of these are buffets and there are plenty I've missed or forgotten. But it got me thinking... what do the descriminating tasters of Clutchfans say? What's the best? What's the most overrated/underrated?

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I had no idea Backstreet Cafe had a breakfast buffet?

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It does? I was just there last weekend and didn't notice that..

4. eric.81

Per my original post:

Thank you for confirming that Backstreet does not have a brunch buffet.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Quattro downtown

Baba yega sucks btw

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

+1 on Le Peep and Backstreet Cafe

When I'm home from college, I go to Le Peep/Backstreet Cafe just about every Saturday morning. Good eats at those places.

1 person likes this.
  7. eric.81

Will check out Quattro...

Gotta say, I *bleeping* love Baba Yega.

8. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Hey OP. How would you rate Baba Yega vs Rio Ranch? I was supposed to go to Brunch last Sunday at Baba Yega, but at the last second changed it to Rio Ranch (a place we had a few times before and enjoyed it) and had a great time. I'm still very interested in going to Baba Yega's but it is a bit more expensive. Just wanted to know your thoughts comparing the two.
    Thanks

9. eric.81

Man... good question. I think Baba Yega is a bit more outside the box, less traditional, with their fare while Rio Ranch is a little more specific. There is very little difference, IMO in the food (both quality and variety). I'd be more specific but I've lived in the Burbs since 2009 so I haven't been to either in a couple of years.

One place where Baba Yega just KILLS Rio Ranch is in atmosphere. It's an old Montrose bungalow that has been converted into a restaurant. Mostly wood floors and wood fixtures, exposed beams in the ceiling, etc. It's got a great amount of architectural charm. There's also a lot of outdoor seating in a the garden/fountain area out back. On a good weather day, the "back yard" is absolutely worth the price of admission.

HOPE YOU ENJOY!

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mockingbird has one? I bet Pondicheri goes hard.

Definitely do Hugo's, man. It will change your life. It's the best by far in Houston and I haven't even eaten many of the ones on your list. I just know. I just know. I'll meet you there this Sunday, you buy the drinks.

1 person likes this.
  11. eric.81

I'm leaning that direction, Ziggy. For real man...

My only issue is the Mrs. She really likes Mexican and Central American food, but I LOVE it. I love it so much that I'm starting to make her tired of it. This is going to happen in conjunction with our Valentine's Weekend, so I have to yield to her a little.

That being said, your enthusiastic endorsement has me almost convinced!

And to repeat, I'm sorry that I put non-buffet places in my list. I should've been more clear about that. I don't know whether any of these places have a buffet except for Le Peep, Rio Ranch, Baba Yega, Hugo's and maybe one or two more. Just heard those places were great for Sunday brunch...

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So do you require the buffet? Mrs. land taste palette would love Tiny Boxwood's on a Valentine's Sunday - but the drink choices are slim I think.

13. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Cool thanks a lot. I'm a little worried about "outside the box" (my wife and I eat most inside the box) but yeah the atmosphere sounds cool. I've went there for lunch one day a few years ago and yeah I can definitely see the atmosphere is better than Rio Ranch. All in all though, still sounds good.
    Thanks again.

14. eric.81

Of course...

Let me clarify with my "outside the box" comment... I'm not talking exotic at all. They have an omlet station, bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage links, rosemary home fries... if you guys like a fresh, american-style brunch, you'll find it at Baba Yega.

Again, I hope you guys enjoy it!

15. eric.81

We're not tied to anything Ziggy, except the ability to make a reservation. I requested buffet because there's nothing I like to gorge myself on more than a good brunch. I'd be down with a sit-down situation and she would, too.

I just checked out the Tiny Boxwood's site... wow, that place looks like a pretty great way to spending Valentine's brunch. And they have mimosas...

Thanks again for the suggestions!

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You asked for "classy brunch buffet" recommendations and then listed Le Peep as a reference point?

Major fail bro.

Anyway, I second the Quattro recommendation. Easily the best in terms of upscale. It's inside the Four Seasons hotel. Outstanding.

It's an enormous brunch with a huge selection including your drink selections.

18. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Quattro - 40% off brunch voucher

40% off for brunch at Quattro at the Four Seasons at Travel Zoo right now

;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I know it's not buffet-style, but Backstreet Cafe is awesome. I've been dying to try Quattro, so that's definitely next on the list. I also love Baba Yega and Tiny Boxwoods.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, love me some Migas for brunch at BSC. Like love love.