1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FML] Damn squirrels are crawling in my attic!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ugh, there's a squirrel who decided to move in to the crawl space in my attic...
    Critter squad guy came out and showed me all sorts of spaces these suckers can get in through...
    Gave me a nice expensive estimate.

Anyone got a person they have used before for this?

Home located in Pearland/Alvin area.

robbie380 and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have…..but don’t remember the guys contact info. Don’t recall it being prohibitively expensive, but what I do remember was the plan. He would put out poison sunflower seeds that would make them sick. They would crave water, leave the house, and never come back. After a few weeks, he’d come back and plug all the holes so they couldn’t get back in. He must have misjudged a bit….house smelled like a dead body for what seemed like two years or more.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you're in Alvin you should be surrounded by old boys like this, who will not only trap them squirrels, but make up a nice stew with 'em.

[​IMG]

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put a snake up there.

I had birds living in my wall and remediation was about $500.

boomboom and Bandwagoner like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well sir...what we're going to need to do is remove all materials from the attic...all the insulation and we'll put fresh insulation back in. It's necessary to remove the smells and possible diseases in your crawlspace area left behind in nesting areas by these critters. You smell that...inside your home? That's not clean air, sir. It's critter disease air leaking from your crawlspace. I smell it instantly when I came inside. But, before we do anything, we'll seal off any holes and entry points the critters were using and take care of the ones that may be inside. Then, we'll completely disinfect the crawlspace area. But, you won't get the lifetime guarantee unless you buy the three package options: clean-out, seal-off, and disinfect-all. And, because we're only targeting squirrels, there may be smaller areas still open to a rat infestation. And, rats could draw in snakes. Have you seen "Snakes on a Plane"? Well...this could be "Snakes in a Crawlspace". So, in order to get the full prevention, there's another package option called prevent-all that covers all the critter types. And, we'll be sure to blow in only the minimal amount of insulation because that's part of it you see. And, it's a special insulation that dissuades critters from nesting in it.

Can we f*ck...err...help you with anything else today? Alrighty then!

Word of warning...if they have to vacuum out and replace insulation...then don't let them shortchange you on the amount they put back.

#5 Surfguy, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    TheJuice, VooDooPope, Deckard and 7 others like this.
  6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Yea, that's the line they give you...Thirst for water and leave. It's BS. lol. They pretty much go belly up in the attic or worst, your walls.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I had this happen. Ended up just being a vent had an opening outside the house. Put in a new mesh cover and no more issues. Think the squirrel or cat or whatever died in the attic though.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Just got the quote.....a laundry list of items..

A0010 General repairs: SRC $1,734.00
    Soffit Roof Connections are areas where soffit returns to roof of home. These areas are not
    secured during construction allowing wildlife entry. Both wood and vinyl soffit returns are common
    entry points for squirrels and birds.

A0013 Products: 22 Small RVG $845.00
    Roof vents are a venting system used to expel hot air from the attic. These vents are are most
    commonly square shaped and installed on back roof side of home

A0001 Wildlife Services: Wildlife Trapping $399.00

A0010 General repair: A/C, utility, plumbing penetrations $39.00
    Penetration points on exterior of home walls are necessary for plumbing lines, A/C lines, gas lines,
    and in some cases for electric, sprinkler systems and more

A0010 General repair: Ridge vent using Ridge Guard $1,049.58
    Homes with ridge vents are designed to allow hot air to rise from inside the attic

A0010 General Repairs: Weep vent holes $249.00

A0010 General Repairs: Garage door lower corner and full heavy duty weather
    strip and sweep installed

A0010 General repair: Dryer Vent/utility vents $89.00

A0010 General repair: Bay windows $99.00
    Bay windows often times are not finished on the underside and are a very common entry point for
    all types of wildlife.

Might as well build a new house...

9. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Not sure why you would need ridge vents and roof vents, its usually one or the other. Unless these are vents for fan housings.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

A0013 Products: 22 Small RVG $845.00
    Roof vents are a venting system used to expel hot air from the attic. These vents are are most
    commonly square shaped and installed on back roof side of home. In the Houston and metro
    areas these vents are a common attic entry point for raccoons and squirrels. Air flow is a major
    factor when considering repair of this type of vent. A Roof Vent Guard (RVG) allows maximum air
    flow while effectively keeping wildlife away from vent. Install 16x16 roof vent guards to prevent
    wildlife entry/access to vent stopping entry and power vent damage.

A0010 General repair: Ridge vent $1,049.58
    Homes with ridge vents are designed to allow hot air to rise from inside the attic and vent through
    the peak of the roof where ridge vents are installed to keep the air temperature lower which helps
    reduce energy consumption heating and cooling home. Unfortunately ridge vents are made of
    plastic and can easily be chewed trough by rodents, and squirrels. In addition ridge vents warp due
    to the extreme temperature changes during summer and winter allowing for easy entry for
    wildlife.
    Ridge vents will be wildlife proofed using Ridge-Guard®, a revolutionary product that is specifically
    designed to prevent ridge vents from failing. Ridge-Guard® is 100% made in America with a heavy
    gauge expanded metal that is powder coated in black and is virtually invisible once installed and
    has a lifetime guarantee! Ridge-Guard® prevents entry of not only wildlife that easily chew through
    unprotected plastic ridge vents, it also holds ridge vents in place and protects from warping and
    allowing other wildlife such as bats, snakes, and even stinging insects such as wasps and yellow
    jackets from gaining access to your attic.

11. Xerobull

As a man of means, I always get the super premium black platinum diamond VIP+ package, irreregardlesses of cost.

[​IMG]

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. SMH

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

I called another pest control people to get a quote for trapping and putting screens in. Will post updates tomm.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well sir... . ;)

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol, well sir, i see foot steps ...human...did someone come yest to give you a quote? soo we are going to have to charge a fee for coming in 2nd..

CCity Zero, Surfguy and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Yes, that stuff that makes them crave water is called warfarin, ie rat poison, and it does in theory make them crave water and leave. This all depends on how much they eat. It also doesn't "make them sick", it slowly and painfully kills the **** out of anything that eats enough of it (including varmints, household pets, etc), so they may leave or they may die in place.

17. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Reminds me of when I bought my daughter a bird feeder. I step out back late one night and see it spinning in circles from the tree branch. As I moved closer to investigate and fire up the trusty iPhone flash light I see two big ole rats working to get the bird feed. I didn't want my 4 year old daughter to see this bizarre dance so went to the hardware store the next day and bought some big rat traps. A little peanut butter later and I was a killing machine, waking up early to remove the bodies before my little girl woke up. Initially I was just placing the bodies into the garbage can, August heat made me soon realize this had been a mistake, watching people walk by the house with the garbage cans out and my wife car having been gone for a week on business trip, thoughts of the cops pulling up anytime shortly after a people walking past the green can of death ran thru my head.

Luckily I watched the Bad News Bears and saw the coach dumping dead rats at the liquor store dumpster. Light Bulb moment, since the beasts were getting smaller in size I would place them in an HEB bag into the trunk of my car and discard the bodies daily at the nearby Wag a Bag.

After about 8 weeks of this routine I was threw and didn't have the stomach for it anymore, the rats were a few days apart but they had destroyed the Bird Feeder by then. If I ever do a bird feeder again it will be hanging from a shepherds pole.

CCity Zero, DonkeyMagic and Sajan like this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Reminds me of the time my dad and I chased a possum down the street with a sword.....lol 2000s was a diff time yall.

CCity Zero and ATXNekko like this.
  19. Xerobull

That’s a nice story, Clark.

CCity Zero, ATXNekko and DonkeyMagic like this.
  20. Xerobull

That’s a nice story, Rusty.

CCity Zero and DonkeyMagic like this.