1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

flip stays with wolves

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamma34, Jun 20, 2001.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

he just signed a new 5 year extension with minnesota at about 20 million, turning down a portland offer of 5 years at 30 million.

so.... who's left for the blazers to get?

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0619/1215884.html

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Money aside, I think he made the right move to stay in Minn.

Had he gone to Portland, the expectation is for him to at least make the WCF every year. With the current mess of players the Blazers have, I am not sure they can. The expectation for the TPups are not as high. Everyone knows that they don't have 1st round picks for a while, no one expects them to get out of the 2nd round. I think Flip is very comfortable with the stars (KG, TB0) in Minn, but would have a tough time with headcases such as Wallace, Quitten, and Kemp.

Flip made the right choice. The extra 10 Mil is hard to pass up, but if Flip has any intention of staying in the league for a long time, he will eventually make up that difference. IMO, going to Portland would only put a blemish on his resume.

I feel sorry for anyone who takes the Portland job, except if it's the Zzz master.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure why anybody who could be a head coach for another NBA team would want to go to Portland. They should never have fired Dunleavy. Whoever goes will have to deal with Trader Bob, deal with Wallace, Pippen, and then all the egos, juggle playing time, and get lampooned and fired when he doesn't get to the WCF. I'd sooner coach the Hawks. Even the Clipjoint seems like a better job right now.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Poor T-Pups. They have to deal with another 5 years of mediocrity under Flip while their super star will continue to age.

They should have kicked that underacheiving coach out of Minn and hired Dunleavy.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Do you realize that if you replace "T-Pups" with "Spazz", Flip with "Sloan" and Minnesota with "Utah" you would be talking about the Utah Jazz!?

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What did Dunleavy do in Portland with a championship caliber team? Underachieved.

How is Saunders responsible for the situation Minnesota is in now? He's not. He was not involved in the wink-wink deal with Joe Smith.

Dunleavy wouldn't do any better than Saunders in Minnesota. The Wolves don't have the team to contend for the title. At least Saunders can keep his players under control.

------------------

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Flip Sucks [​IMG]

------------------