1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FLASH intro testing

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's late but if you're up let me know what you think of this simple intro I did that I would like to have replace the current intro page for the site...

<a href="http://www.clutchcity.net" target="new">FLASH intro</a>

If it's good to go I'll place this on the page late tonight... if not I'll spice it up some more or clean it up ....

Thanks [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited February 22, 2000).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

CLUTCH, THATS AWESOME!!!!!!
    I was waiting for the game to start. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited February 21, 2000).]

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not bad, I would make the backgrounds more interesting, but the idea is cool.

DaDakota

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Rock and Roll

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

How would you "spice it up"? change to rocket colors? maybe a video of francis dunking?

6. SpEnCeR

SpEnCeR Member

I was wondering if anyone knows the title of the Rockets intro song and what band plays it. I would like to get it just for that song!

7. JVoss

JVoss Member

Nice job Clutch.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's great.

There is one problem. I tested on a 33K connection and there is a great delay between the start which ends with "there's only one Clutch City" and the segment that has the final scene.

the scene with
    "Your Rockets Fan Information Source"

which transitions in from overhead. The delay means the final ENTER button doesn't full stream with the other part.

When I refreshed, it all came out smoothly, then I cleared my browser cache and tried again, and the delay occurred again.

I was registering a 60K file at 2KB/sec download, which is pretty good for 33K. 0% to 40% read of file occurs as a stream but then nothing happens until 97% is read, at which point the final segment play.. Try it with other 33K connection. It may just be me tonight, but I thought I'd point out just in case.

I'm on Netscape...I'll check IE.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 21, 2000).]

9. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Very nice, Clutch.

I liked the simplicity. Had a very clean look.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

How sweet it is! (I would mix in more red, but then I'm old school like that.)

11. heypartner

IE had a similar delay between "scenes"

Are you using two Flash "scenes"? two "movies? It is odd the first would stream from 0-40% load and the other would wait for a full load with a delay between 40% and 97%. Obviously this has no impact on faster connections, so take may comments in context of modems.

Am I making sense?

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

CLUTCH .. Great job man. Thats exactly how I like it. Love the song, everything looks great.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

heypartner -- nope ... it's all one movie. It's not broken up into scenes. I was worried about the file being too big and on slow connections possibly causing some delays but if it starts perhaps it skips.

Not sure how to put an initial delay into it so it all loads FIRST, then plays. Any ideas?

Thanks all for the feedback -- this is really helping.

14. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Perhaps you can put it in the head...like you do in html. So the whole programs loads before you even open the site...just a thought.

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Great work Clutch ,Worked very smooth on my 56k But I agree it need's some Red

16. heypartner

There seems to be a stream problem with the sound. NOTE: this only effects modem connection most likely.

"How sweet it is" first plays at 43% load exactly when the There's only one Clutch City displays.

The rest of the music doesn't play till the 97% mark.

I know the terminology in Macromedia Director but couldn't really tell you the Flashes solutions, maybe in a week I could.

With Macromedia, there are two ways to do audio: stream and load-then-play. I can't really help much more through bbs messaging. I would go live with it and see if other 33K connections notice something.

Your original "Holllly Mother" was excellent. My main critique here would be to say the "How sweet it is" is fine but the music beat finale may be contributing to the visual delay at the 43% mark. So you might consider taking out the music finale for the time being.

What are you sound file formats? How did you load then into Flash? I'd be more than happy to look at the .fla as well.

excellent though...supporting modem connections is the most challenging part.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 22, 2000).]

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Clutch,

Can you test for the flash plugin so you don't have the "nothing happening" alternate
    message at the bottom? Probably have to test
    in an intro screen before even jumping to the Flash screen. If their browser can handle the flash, go to the flash screen, else branch another way. I don't know about the flash plugin, but could it be possible to have it load in a new window and switch to it after the load is complete so you get the full effect? Then the intro browser window kills itself. Some people probably won't be happy with new windows popping up and others destroying themselves. Or else the flash browser window kills itself after it is done and they are carried into Clutchcity.
    Just playing around with Javascript might help.

Mango

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Awesome as usual Clutch. One thing that looked peculiar was the shades of blue you used. It makes it seem "less Rocket-like". The looping on the music hops a bit, but who cares. It still looks and sounds good!

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

19. wizard

wizard Member

wonderful!!

20. ArmChair Coach

It looks good, Clutch. The only problem was when I kept moving the cursor over the enter button 10 times....
    How about "Kapayaaaaa!!" instead of "How sweet it is!" or one of Lisa Malosky trying to sound into the game when Cato gets an alley oop for a monster jam? Or you could use a clip of Bill Walton or Peter Vescey. [​IMG]