1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five policemen shot in southeast Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

This is actually the exchange:

HTM: "The context of 66 year old man being charged with non-violent offenses probably doesn't need a SWAT team and a pre-dawn raid to arrest him."

Ottoman: "What exactly are you basing this on? Could you detail your experience serving federal arrest warrants?"

So now, of course, we have Ottoman a week later stating:

Ottoman: "Busting the door in on a suspect that you believe is armed with 4 narcotics officers at 5 in the afternoon and leaving the back door uncovered so he can exit, circle around and shoot officers from behind strikes me as poor tactics, to be polite."

So, naturally, the question for Ottoman is: What exactly are you basing this on? Could you detail your experience in serving [state/local] arrest warrants?

Because, you know, Ottoman is free to opine about everything and anything, but the rest of us, we need to have the requisite experience.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, for the 10 or so years I was selling guns I received copious mountains of tactical bullshit from gun companies and various associations about the subject, and I read most of it.

But you can find any of this stuff if you'd bother to actually look. Here's a good starter for you that I found online in like 5 minutes:

http://www.co.wise.tx.us/constable/downloads/building clearing,tactical raid.pdf

But the fact that you can't even quote my username correctly shows exactly how much the details matter to you.

#102 Ottomaton, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Ok, so, the answer is, "none" - you have no experience serving warrants. Got it.

Look at that, it only took about a week for your condescending, sarcastic and glib remarks to come back and show what a hypocrite you are. That's a shocker.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If only HPD had used a SWAT team and a pre-dawn raid to arrest these two alleged armed drug dealers like the feds did for a 66 year old blowhard.

Nook, RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

And yet you still haven't challenged a single thing that I pointed out. You just attack me personally because I hurt your feelings.

If it gives you closure, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings for pointing out you didn't know what you were talking about.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, that probably would have been a good idea, but idk if im qualified to opine about that.

7. HTM

HTM Member

What am I suppose to be challenging?

All I have done and sought to do here is point out your hypocrisy. It's pretty easy to see when the text is laid out like I have done. I had an opinion about the arrest of Roger Stone. You asserted that opinion wasn't credible because I didn't have experience serving warrants. You then came in here and gave an opinion about the serving of the arrest warrant in SE Houston. All I am asking is for you to back that opinion up by detailing your experience serving arrest warrants. You cannot do so. Thus, the hypocrisy. You have a different standards for others than you do yourself.

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

9. HTM

HTM Member

No, the way you framed your condescending, sarcastic and glib challenge, "Could you detail your experience serving federal arrest warrants?" - indicates that unless you have that experience your opinion lacks validity. Nice attempt to re-frame that though.

10. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Im not going to argue with you about what I was thinking in my head. Emblamatic that you believe you know better than me what I was thinking. Let me know when you want to talk about what the threads about. K thx bye.

11. HTM

HTM Member

[​IMG]

12. Buck Turgidson

I guess I will consider this pot properly stirred.

Not my intention.

13. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Not your fault at all.

I seem to have a talent for and a compulsion to annoy a certain type of person.

14. Buck Turgidson

Welcome to the party, pal.

Nook and jcf like this.
  15. jcf

jcf Member

Don't undersell yourself ;)

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so I haven't really been following this story but read this summary this morning--is this the current understanding of what happened here?

7 hours ago
    One Deadly Drug Raid and Two Red Herrings
    by Jacob Sullum

After a drug raid killed a middle-aged couple and injured five narcotics officers in Houston last week, the head of the local police union blamed people who criticize cops, while the police chief blamed politicians who fail to support the gun control policies he favors. The real cause was a fundamentally immoral war on drugs that routinely requires violence in response to peaceful activities.

Hours after the deadly attack on the home of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas, Joe Gamaldi, president of the Houston Police Officers Union, condemned "the ones that are out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy." He warned that "we're going to be keeping track of all y'all," and "we're going to be holding you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo later rebuked Gamaldi for his "over-the-top" remarks. "Joe Gamaldi's emotions got the best of him," Acevedo said. "This had nothing to do with any of the stuff that he was talking about."

Yet Acevedo could not resist tossing out his own red herring by criticizing "elected officials" who fail to address the "proliferation of firearms in the hands of people that have no business having guns." The Washington Post praised Acevedo for seizing on the horribly botched drug raid to reiterate his support for "sensible gun safety policies" such as "reinstatement of the assault weapons ban," "a ban on high-capacity magazines," and requiring that "unlicensed private dealers do background checks at gun shows."

All of those policies were plainly irrelevant to the incident that supposedly illustrated the need for them. Neither Tuttle nor Nicholas had a criminal record that would have disqualified them from buying firearms, and the revolver that Tuttle reportedly fired at the police officers who invaded his home was not an "assault weapon." Nor was it capable of accepting a "high-capacity magazine."

The actual circumstances of the shootout at 7815 Harding Street point to a different culprit. Based on an anonymous tip and the word of a confidential informant who claimed to have bought heroin from Tuttle, undercover narcotics officers obtained a "no-knock" search warrant that authorized them to break into the house without warning, which they did around 5 p.m. on January 28.

The first officer through the door was carrying a shotgun, which he immediately used to kill one of the couple's dogs. According to the official police account, which we have to rely on because there is no body camera video of the raid, Tuttle responded by shooting the officer, who collapsed on a sofa in the living room.

As Nicholas moved to disarm the intruder, police say, his fellow officers shot her. Tuttle returned fire, and he was also killed.

Although press coverage of the raid generally portrayed the injured police officers as the victims, that surely is not the way it looked to Tuttle and Nicholas. Amid the noise and chaos, it is plausible that Tuttle did not even realize that the armed men knocking down his door, killing his dog, and shooting his wife were police officers. They were not wearing uniforms, and in any case Houston had recently seen a series of home invasions by robbers masquerading as cops.

Nor is it clear that Tuttle and Nicholas, who had lived in the house for more than two decades, were actually selling drugs. Police did not find any of the heroin that their confidential informant claimed to have seen in the house the day before, and neighbors, who described Tuttle and Nicholas as "wonderful people" who "never bothered anyone," said they had not noticed any suspicious activity.

Even if the neighbors were wrong and the police were right, the so-called crime they were investigating, which involved nothing more than the voluntary exchange of drugs for money, cannot possibly justify the armed assault they mounted. If police officers don't want to be portrayed as the enemy, they should stop acting like the enemy.

Nook likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It seems the entire situation would fall on whoever approved the action.

I just read the description of what happened. Shooting a dog is reasonable if you feel threatened but shouldn't they know its there. But yeah the whole no knock warrant on the equivalent of street dealers for what you know not to be a large amount of drugs seems ridiculous.

That being said no knock warrants might be standard no matter the amount of drugs being sold. I could understand. Drug dealers carry guns

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

According to abc13 the haul from the raid netted the cops 18 grams of weed and 1.5 grams of some kind of powder.

I wonder if they will stack it up in a big pile and take pictures?