1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five policemen shot in southeast Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree with you on that.
    I'm just saying, if cops were critically wounded by violent idiots over pot instead of black tar heroin, it's extra unfortunate. But I clearly have no idea. So much of this is odd, and as someone said, a bit like a scene from season 1 of true detective.

bobloblaw likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I did some looking just now, apparently cops had purchased heroin from the house using either a CI or an undercover officer, so even if there wasn't heroin there at the time, they were known dealers and that's why they got the warrant.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

EDIT: who knows what really happened?

#24 Astrodome, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The chief said that the suspects had a semi automatic. I’m not much of a gun expert, but I know that a magnum is not a semi automatic.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was friendly fire involved, despite the chief getting so ruffled by that question at the press conference. The story was that the dog first attacked the officers and then the suspects fired a semi automatic. If they didn’t have a semi automatic it’s possible a police officer started shooting out of fear of the dog and hit an officer. Even worse now knowing that they didn’t have the heroin that was the basis for the warrant.

The only good thing to come out of this story so far is that the officers are all in stable condition.

#25 bobloblaw, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sounds like all the officers are going to make it. That’s great news.

B-Bob, jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I already know where this thread is about to go...

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

then keep it to yourself ? :)

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Where did you get this information? I read that after receiving a tip the police determined there was some street level drug sales taking place on the block(whatever that means). I haven't seen anything about undercover cops making a purchase directly from this house.

I haven't really had time to dig into this very much. Something about this whole thing seems a little off. These people haven't been in any trouble in the past, and there wasn't anything in the house that would indicate a reason to why they would open fire on the police.

The police broke the door down and announced who they were at the same time. The dog inside the house allegedly charged the cops and the cops opened fire. Then the man inside the house allegedly shot at the police. Sounds like a chaotic scene. I wonder if the people in the house were somehow confused about what was happening?

I hope the police didn't enter the wrong home. That's happened before.

It bothers me that the police fired the first shots(at the dog). That may have set off a chain reaction of gunfire. People on both sides firing in a panic.

macho GRANDE and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've read it multiple places but here's a link to CNN and the quote

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/us/houston-police-officers-shot/index.html

Senator likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Be on alert. Dopey McGee is going to be keeping track of all of us.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Acevedo said they had previously bought tar at the house during his presser at the hospital last night.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

well it needs to go to the hangout nothing to debate about with this specific story

@justtxyank

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Black tar heroin comes from Mexico. Its literally like tar. How most of us know heroin in the powder form isnt really available in Houston from what i know

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It used to be predominantly tar from Texas all the way to the west coast, and powder only on the east coast. These days though you can find both in Houston.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm a libertarian, and as such, I would prefer it if the drug laws were different so that these kinds of things wouldn't happen.....that said, I have very little sympathy for those selling heroin given what it does to people. Even in a libertarian minded state, there has to be some laws and I have no problem with those laws being enforced. If you shoot at a cop, you deserve what is about to happen to you.

Now as to the "no knock warrant" business, I agree that it's a real slippery slope, but I think there's a time and place for it and I don't have a problem with it so long as there is legitimate oversight to prevent abuse. In this instance, they had a tip about a house, they then sent someone in to purchase heroin from them to establish that it was a dealer house. After that's been established, I'm fine with the no knock warrant to attempt to secure the house before evidence can be destroyed. In this instance, the dealers happened to be violent and they got what they deserved.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

talk about a dude about to be out of a job.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

police union president using this as a pretext to try and shut down people who are critical of police brutality is pretty lame and scary. as if these two criminals went after cops b/c they were riled up by the all lives matter movement.

reminds me of john cornyn...'member about 10 years ago a psycho in an atlanta court shot a judge and then cornyn went on the senate floor and with a s***-eating grin said that the shooting was because people were upset about "judicial activism".

mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Please haha. Cops? Shooting? Drugs?

This could easily swirl the toilet and end up in a really dark place.

B-Bob and vlaurelio like this.
  20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Let's hope. What he said was horrific. It threatens public accountability of the police, by the press or the public.