1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

fishing/crabbing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheeno, Mar 14, 2011.

1. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

was wondering if any clutchfan members want to share some secrets.

when i was younger my uncles used to take me out to go fishing and crabbing the same day around the freeport area. Even if we didn't catch anything we would go and buy some crab around the area before we would leave.

so the question is i want to take their kids to go fishing and i guess start this as some kind of tradition between the family and make sure they have some fun during spring break. The only problem i have is remembering where they took me to go fishing and crabbing it was all in one place, i just remember it was in freeport i remember it being off of some rocks so im guessing its a jetty somewhere. But i want to ask fellow clutchfans members if they have a good idea around freeport where i can fish and crab at the same area where i actually have a chance to catch some fish//crab.

thanks in advance guys.

2. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Could the place you are describing be the ship channel that divides Surfside and Quintanna beach. Both sides have pretty long jetties though Surfsides is more developed where as Quintanna's side isn't.

If it is I would wager you were on the Surfside side being there are a couple of bait shops and a fish market where you can get fresh crab right before you cross over "the big bridge" as they call it down here to get to Surfside.

Either of those jetties would be more than adequate to go crabbing.

3. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

+repped

you live in surfside? how are the crab looking i haven't been there in ages, but i have always wanted to go back.

4. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

No but I live in close proximity out in Brazoria. Retired down here a few years back with my wife and I spend a good deal of my time fishing.

Blue crab is generally always plentiful down here as they along with the catfish are always stealing my bait.

As I said either jetty would do though you might have better luck on the Surfside side as you have more options as once you cross over the "big bridge" you take a right you will hit the jetties and you take a left you can always hit one of the docks/boat ramps into Christmas Bay or San Luis Pass.

As for bait you can always go with the rotten chicken but I have always had better luck with rotten fish or squid. It your choice though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

We had a place in Oyster Creek when I was a kid, we always went to the park and crabbed off the pier, always came home with a bunch.

6. Prince

Prince Member

Check out this macho guy Cowboy_Bebop, he's trying to get rid of his crabs...

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I love crabbing but we usually have to toss back 80% of the ones we catch because they don't meet the 5 inch requirement. sometimes i'm just tempted to take everything because i don't know of anyone who's been caught. but nothing ruins a great day of crabbing like being stopped by the game warden.