1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[First Take] Kenny Smith Flames Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets must earn true respect, but the OP is about not even acknowledging the '18 Rockets are great.

Kenny = Sell Out

1995, Game 1, saved his livelihood in HOU.

Jontro likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love my rockets can’t say the same about the delusional fans who disrespect our history to justify the current success

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

IDK why Kenny has always been so salty towards the Rockets org. Maybe after he retired, he asked for a job in the org, like as an announcer but Les denied him?

BigShasta and Jontro like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with that. Dream was a playoff monster. I do believe that Paul can lead the Rockets in the playoffs, Harden will have to be at the same level too.
    They don't have to be perfect in every game, but if they are at 90 efficiency, the role players can get the job done.
    Fitness and mental strength is critical for success. Defense is key, along with offensive versatility. Look how dangerous we look when Gordon attacks and finishes at the basket. Green is shooting well, but he needs to attack the basket too, and pass the ball. Even Tucker can rarely put the ball on the floor to reach the basket.

3/D and P/R won't be enough.
    Go Houston Rockets!

tinman likes this.
  5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

When the pack gets worse it doesn't mean that Houston should all the sudden contend with Warriors. He is saying the pack got worse therefor a team like GSW has gotten worse too even though they added Durant? I don't understand his logic.

Also how come he didn't have this genius analysis before the season started?

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Your entire post is dodgeball.

Nobody is arguing Rockets should be favored over GS. The issue is, low-balling the Rockets.

Nobody was downplaying the "rest of league" when Durant went to GS. It was all about how awesome GS was. Don't stop now, beeacthes.
    ______

Also, the playoffs are not "completely different" (than reg season).

FTs are still 15' and 6 fouls for DQ.

Stop exaggerating for effect.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Probably because he publicly said he wanted to be the coach of the Rockets and got turned down.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way on earth the Rockets can win without playing perfect basketball come playoffs against the Warriors.
    If it comes down to minimal amount of posessions to either have the lead every posession counts. The two games we won against the Warriors, Harden did have some pretty good numbers. Gm1 27pts 11ast 3tov gm2 22 pts off 50% fg and 55% 3pt coming off an injury is pretty damn amazing. I really don't know what everyone is expecting Kenny to say. The season is only half way done and we still have alot to improve. I don't hear any downplaying of the Rockets at all. He isn't saying the Rockets have no chance against the Warriors. The Warriors are still going to be heavily favored with their all star lineup. Things will change once we steam roll through the playoffs.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

So where's the video that the's salty and not acknowledging the Rockets? The video posted on page 4/5 was not the full one and he didn't seem particularly negative.

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Can someone explain what he intended to say about the rockets Kings game right at the end of this video?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Fake news.

tinman likes this.
  12. vince

vince Member

What’s crazy is that Rocket fans aren’t even bothered about the National sports media still thinking that the Warriors are favorite.

It’s the sheer disdain for what the Rockets are doing this season. Literally writing off every accomplishment with an asterisk lite.

When the Warriors who still had a fabulous pre all star record, get the excuse that they aren’t motivated by the regular season, and that they get every teams best game.

Well, Rockets opponents get super motivated too, after all for the past 3-4 season they’d been swimming with the lot of them vying for home court advantage. They probably remember they were almost at equal talent level, so why do the Rockets now all of a sudden have a much better record.

I think opponents are giving their max effort against Both the Rockets and Warriors.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Rockets' last game vs GS, Harden had 8 assists with 6 TOs, and 2 rebounds.

In both victories combined, Warriors shot 50% 3PT vs Rockets 37%. Perfection is NOT necessary.

I was waiting for Kenny to say something similar to "the Rockets are good." He was asked directly more than once, but he couldn't muster the strength.

14. macan

macan Member

u doubters just gonna ignore the fact that Harden single handily took a not so good rockets team to conference final(shout out to the crew in game 6 vs clippers)? he ain't michael jordan but give man some respect! Stephenie or KD can't do shxt if they switch places with Harden! don't act like those media with selective memory of which they only remember Harden in Shaqtin a fool video...plz stop doubting and enjoy the great season we have this year mfers!

BigShasta likes this.
  15. macan

macan Member

oops wrong thread

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Here’s the thing guys, most nba fans just don’t see anyone getting passed gsw.

Last year I made a bet with my b-ball buddy / nba chatter that rox will beat the spurs, he laughed at me so hard for thinking they would win that series and he kept going on about how much he hated James because he has no heart and does not care at all. So yesterday we go to play ball and I start telling him you believe in the rockets now?
    (Keep in mind he doesn’t follow the rockets much this season) And he still says no because of how James is and how he and cp3 are known for chocking.

So I tell him let’s make another bet that Houston will be in the finals, and he still isn’t convinced unless there are injuries.

That’s the thing guys, that if you are not a fan of the team or atleast make an effort to watch other teams play you will not notice improvements or attitude changes. That’s the issue with James, he comes off as a guy who doesn’t care (rightfully deserved for the last few years).

When us fans speak about other teams and players realistically going deep or being in contention we rght away remember their failures. Like right now Toronto is first but no one on this board will bet that they will make the finals because they are THE regular season team. Same goes for Washington, and a handful of teams. Unfortunately Houston has been bundled in with those guys although they are leaps better this year. The benefit will always go to the proven team and players, no other way around it. James looks really motivated this year and cp3 heart is rubbing off on him. No more excuses really, James has made most temporarily forget the spurs series and back onto his side but now if he doesn’t go deep and swinging even if served a loss, faith will be lost forever. Why would anyone besides rockets fans believe in him until he wins?

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. noppeper

noppeper Member

Kenny Smith was great for the Rockets when he played, and totally instrumental to our first title run, but he looks like a complete dumbass in this video.

I'm not sure what he is trying to say here and why he can't just simply answer the question directly: "are the Rockets that much better than last year for them to be ahead of the Warriors?". He is being asked a very specific question and he circumvents providing a direct answer by saying "the pack has gotten worse!". WTF? So the Rockets having Chris Paul and beating the Warriors twice, and having the highest point differential, while withstanding multiple injuries, etc., and they are not better?

I think questioning the Rockets having what it takes to dethrone the Warriors is a prudent approach, given the histories of it's best 2 players in the playoffs, and the loaded team Golden State has. But the facts are the facts; the Rockets are indeed a better team this year, with Chris Paul and the rest of the additions. No need to put things in perspective or anything; they just are. Sure, the Clippers are worse, but other teams, such as OKC and Minnesota, have gotten better, so it all evens out.

D-rock likes this.
  19. ballscientist1

Did Rockets owner want to pay 150M luxury tax?

Rockets owner Fertitta said. “I think that you always have to be realistic enough that - however we plan things, that doesn't mean it's going to happen the way we want it to happen. And I can go put a team together (of stars), and be paying $150 million or $200 million in luxury tax, and a couple of guys get injured and I get my ass whipped.”

Owners are very smart, they will refuse to risk 150 million dollars.

#299 ballscientist1, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Kenny give us back your ring then....

[​IMG]