1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firefox 3.5 out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tolne57, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Thank god for browser wars. If it wasn't for Safari/Chrome/Konqueror/Webkit, Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox, and that ugly stepchild Opera, we'd all be stuck with IE6.

And for those pining away for Chrome on Mac, you should be running Webkit. It's the development branch of Safari and it's got practically the same engine as Chrome.

2. mbiker

mbiker Member

I tried Firefox 3.5 for 2 weeks. There are still some bugs in the new version. Certain sites take forever to load. I went back to Firefox 3.0.12, which runs perfectly fine.

Google Chrome is the fastest browser I have seen, but without extensions it is worthless.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Whoa, I agree with everything you're saying here. I'm not switching over to Chrome because I'm so used to the FF extensions and bookmarks, layouts etc. And I reverted back from FF 3.5 to 3.0.12 because the bookmark toolbar was acting funny.

4. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Anyone having trouble with sites not loading up properly sometimes? Sometimes it'll be one of those offline pages and I'd have to refresh a few times.

5. God's Son

God's Son Member

they disabled my antbar so i cant dl p*rn vids no more :-(

ima have to revert back to an older firefox how do i do dat?

6. mbiker

mbiker Member

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Eh.. I don't know what Webkit is... but thanks for the heads up... I'm new to Mac, so I don't really know too much about the OS. I'll research about it though and DL it.

8. rocketshopeful

I am in the same boat. I read a couple pages on it including a wiki page. I am still not quite clear what the advantage is or how buggy it is currently.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Again, if you're having problems with a new version, I'd disable all of your add-ons and then see if you're still having the problem.

I had a problem with my bookmarks as well (the drop down wouldn't, well, drop down). Found I had an extension that was messing with the way the menu worked, disabled it and was good to go.

Example?

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Which extension was it. Maybe I have that too.

11. mbiker

mbiker Member

Here are just some of the issues that I have with 3.5 and 3.51.

1. Flash will use 100% of the cpu until it is terminated.
    2. Leaky
    3. Will become unusable from time to time.
    4. Has trouble handling some javascripts.

I think that the new version of Firefox was prematurely released. Mozilla saw Chrome as a threat and released 3.5 two months earlier then they should of. The Mozilla Foundation gets some of its revenue from Google. If the Google browser is successful, Google would not need to pay Mozilla anything. I am perfectly happy with the older firefox version and will wait a few months until the bugs are taken care of.

12. mbiker

mbiker Member

You can run in safe mode to see if the problems you are having has anything to do with the extensions. Safe mode will disable the extensions.