1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firefox 3.5 out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tolne57, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I DL'd 3.5 yesterday. So far, so good. Most of the time I can't tell much of a speed difference; it either loads sites quickly or it doesn't, but this does feel a little snappier.

Does anyone use Safari, be it for Mac OS or Windows? I've never tried it, but I've always been curious.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do you hear that noise? Oh no?

Its the sound of me surfing 5 different web pages using Google Chrome while you are stuck surfing one web on Firefox. Give it up- Firefox is for old timers. Too slow. A relic. A has been. Get with the times. Chrome is the way to go.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Firefox 3.5 is generally as fast as Chrome, and if you don't have it laden down with extensions, it's probably faster. You should try it out. I still love Chrome myself, but the 3.5 release really restored Firefox's place as my browser of choice after many months of using Chrome and agonizing over the lack of basic mouse gestures.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because of this post, I'm gonna give FF3.5 a serious look this weekend and will consider switching back from Chrome.

5. Landlord Landry

I agree with you about FF.....but Chrome isn't much better imo. Ugly interface as well.

I only have one issue with Opera, it lags when I open yahoo mail. Other than that. Perfect.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Greasemonkey for Firefox.

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

What the hell are you talking about? I have 10 webpages open and there isn't a single issue. So stop talking out of your ass.

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

:confused:

I always have a ton of tabs open in FF and never have any issues it slowing down. For instance, at this very moment I have 15 tabs open. No slow down at all...

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FF 3.5 seems much better so far - definitely quicker - not as fast as Chrome, but I wouldn't want to use GC as my main browser anyway.

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Not only it's running nicely. It also look nicer too. I mean every freaking browser out there is going to start eating up ram and slow down after hours of usage. But I love FF because I can close all the tabs up and save it and quite and reopen it again to the same webpages that I have open earlier on to refresh FF from hogging up the memory or slowing down.

[​IMG]

11. Landlord Landry

12. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Just try Google Chrome. Faster? Maybe by a milliseconds and slower on certain websites. Eat a bit less memory but doesn't matter to me. I'm running 6gb or ram. All I can say about Chrome is that it's damn primitive compare to FF. I can't stand looking at the white BG on the GOOGLE search page and some other sites such as Youtube. At least with FF I can use Userstyles to change the UI so that it's easy on the eyes at nightime. Another thing is that I can't live without my CoolPreviews. FF is no doubt about it is the best web engine right now because of the extensions, plugins and taking all the best from IE and Opera and making it better.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yeah....I gots like, hang on....17 tabs open right now. I don't get your point.

14. Landlord Landry

fixed for truth.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Who give a rat ass if who copy from whom? The bottom line is they are doing the right thing to incorporate what works best. You making it sound like in this world no company is copying from anyone else.

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

17. Landlord Landry

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

bump.

is there any reason why flash videos play so horribly in firefox? it's so bad that i just automatically open up chrome every time i want to view a youtube clip - it's not even worth trying on ff.

i updated to 3.5 and it's still incredibly slow. especially compared to chrome. and i'm not running too many add-ons. i really want to make the switch to chrome but i just can't do without the add-ons that i do have. google chrome really needs to add add-on capability. i can't bare firefox anymore.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes... I think I pointed that out in page 2, I believe.... Chrome is way faster than Firefox 3.5... at least for me... I just stick to Chrome now... and Safari on my Mac until they come out with a official release of Chrome for Mac.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I made the switch from Chrome back to Firefox after Chrome started acting weird. When I would leave the computer for a while and return, it would say it couldn't find the page. Also, about half the time I requested a page, Chrome wouldn't pull up the page or would say it couldn't find it. Each of these problems was solved by hitting the refresh button. This may seem minor but I got tired of it. FF3.5 is noticeably faster than FF3, though not quite as fast as Chrome.

If Chrome had continued to work like it always had, I wouldn't have switched back to FF. Anyone else have similar problems with Chrome?