1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firefly is/was awesome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bullardfan, Jun 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I feel like I've been in a cave for just now getting around to watching this series. This is maybe the best sci-fi show I have ever seen and I wasn't surprised to see that it was Joss Whedon (loved Buffy). Summer Glau, Christina Hendricks (hotter than on Madmen (didn't think that was possible)) and Morena Baccarin are all smoking.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I guess he was influenced by Cowboy Bebop? Anyone know what the curse words are that they are using? Sounds kinda Chinese.

2. edjunkie

edjunkie Member

I like sci fy

Firefly was great. That said I won't just watch anything sci fy like a lot of people I know. I actually enjoyed Summer Glau in Terminator the Sara Connor Chronicles.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another converted Browncoat !

I think this series was some of the best TV that no one saw.

Fox killed it by not airing the episodes in order, the started with the 3rd one I think and never introduced the characters.

They only aired 11, and there are 14 in the boxed set and of course the movie Serenity.

One of the main reasons I like the TV show Castle is because Nathan Fillion plays the same type of character, and I miss Mal....

DD

4. Yoda

Yoda Member

tried watching, got to episode 5 in a year long span. It did nothing for me. Maybe i'll try again soon.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look! A time traveler from 2003! :p

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Shiny! A new Browncoat convert! Welcome to the club. The wife and I are, at this very moment, in the midst of our umpteenth Firefly marathon (current episode: the aforementioned "Our Mrs Reynolds").

As for the cursing, much of it was Chinese (see: http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/ChinesePhrases - language NSFW), though "Gorram" was invented just for the show. I still use it every once in a while.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Same here. Tried watching 2 or 3 episodes, but just couldn't get into it. It just seemed like an average drama thrown into "space", but not really space. Maybe I just wasn't getting it. The first 2 episodes I watched bored me to the point, I couldn't really follow along and started doing other things.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

lmao. i know. i really wish they didn't cancel it so soon.

10. Yoda

Yoda Member

I told my friend the same thing, he said "it's got tons of humor in it, it's hilarious! I guess you just don't understand intellectual humor."

I guess i don't?? I never smiled once.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

only 14 episodes you should watch the rest on netflix. I watched it all when they started showing it every week on Sci channel.

I really liked that Black Bounty hunter on the season finale. Guy was creepy and unhinged but he seemed like someone that would be a good addition to the crew.

"Ever been shot? You should be shot"

"He ain't no Shepard"

12. Yoda

Yoda Member

I have the whole season plus the movie on my external HD, but i never build up enough moto to watch it no matter how high i see it rated or how many people talk about it because of my experience with the first few episodes.

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

dunno if I would say it's "intellectual" humor, but it contains both elements of subtle and over the top. Buffy took some getting used to for me and actually the Angel series was in some ways better. I just happen to like Joss Whedon's brand of humor and how he always has a nice mixture of the hot nerd girl, sexy girl, and hot tomboy girl.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Shiny! A new Browncoat!

The Firefly fandom is one you can get into deeply if you so choose... there are fan movies, meetups all over the country, podcasts (I know of three - and work on two), fundraisers, cruises, cons etc.

:)

Glad to have you with us!

15. Yoda

Yoda Member

hot girl. I don't like the D. But, i hate seeing hot girls all pretty with their make up and fake boobs in times where i don't see it would fit. Basically i turn on the tv and i see cavewomen with tweezed eyebrows, make up, huge boobs and a petite body. Can we have some realism. Look at the 80's music. The ugliest people made awesome hits, but nowadays, they wouldn't stand a chance to make those songs b/c they don't look the part.

I'm a little buzzed and i may be off track here. But, if this world existed in Firefly, i am not so sure nothing but very attractive females would cross paths and be involved in this great tale or journey.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Jubal Early! Loved that dude... and that episode

"I can't keep track of her when she's not incorporeally possessing a spaceship."

17. Yoda

Yoda Member

see, maybe i'm too dumb to get it. I don't even know what incorporeally means???

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Come on Yoda you got the worlds knowledge available to you with a couple taps of the keyboard. If you don't know find out.

Google "Indie film" and "incorporeal" take you milliseconds. You're not dumb, just misinformed.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I don't really watch too much TV but I don't ever watch it for realism. That's just me. If I wanted realism and ugly ppl then I could just go to the train station or grocery store. Once again that's just me.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The best sci-fi show ever. **** Star Trek.

If you only get a few episodes in and give up you're missing the greatness.

I don't think it really starts to reveal itself until around episode 6.

Jaynestown = pure awesomeness.