1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

This kind of contradicts your argument. You claim BOB can’t find talent and is responsible for the lack of talent on the roster cause these are his guys but if healthy we are contenders cause Rick built the roster? Not trying to start an argument just looking for clarification.

For the record I want BOB and Smith both gone.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If this roster was healthy, I think Watson manages to overcome BOB's awful coaching and win enough games to put the Texans in the playoffs where they would be one of the favorites since they have an elite QB. Let's not forget that Watson wasn't a BOB guy, the guy BOB wanted was Savage and before him Hoyer. That's the type of talent BOB would bring to the Texans if he had his way. One of the things he's complained about is wanting more control over the roster so that Rick Smith couldn't go out and bring in guys that BOB doesn't want like when he got Watson.

The way that could be wrong is that perhaps the team wouldn't be a Super Bowl contender with BOB coaching the team because he somehow managed to be 3-3 with Watson playing at an elite level, so there's a chance he could still screw things up even if the team was fully healthy. I think the better statement would be "with competent coaching the Texans are a Super Bowl contender if healthy"

3. showa13

showa13 Member

Makes a lot more sense. Let’s also not forget Rick brought in Brock without asking BOB. Both are highly incompetent and are terrible at their jobs.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that really true though? I know that's the propaganda BOB leaked after it failed, but he was MUCH more eager about Brock than he was Watson.

That's the problem with BOB though, with all of the spin he puts out to try and deflect blame, you never know what is true and what is a lie when it comes to him. Hell this year he leaked some BS spin suggesting that it was Rick Smith who forced him to start Savage over Watson which I'd imagine even the most ate up BOB fanboy would admit was completely ridiculous.

5. showa13

showa13 Member

I don’t think it’s as far fetched as suggested. I think he wanted to go with Savage and was forced to play Brock and to me that’s on Rick Smith. Savage has been BOB’s guy and he wanted to play him from the get go. Which is why he started this year. I think his hand was forced with Deshaun and he had to go with it cause obviously Deshaun is a generational talent. They both suck. Fire them both and let’s start over building around Deshaun

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair enough, I just think if you are going to clean house you should start with the coaching staff, if you include the FO as well, that's fine with me. I just think the worst possible outcome would be firing the FO while giving the awful coaching staff even more control.

7. showa13

showa13 Member

I think if they’re gonna fire the coach a new GM should be in charge of the coaching search cause Smith is gonna want a yes man(saw a rumor of Marvin Lewis and threw up). Hope they just clean house. But I doubt they give BOB more control.

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Who said Smith wants a yes man? Maybe he just wants a traditional GM/ coach relationship. Maybe he wants to work with a coach who isn’t going for a power grab.

9. showa13

showa13 Member

Which is why he’d want a yes man, someone who isn’t looking to get more power. BOB challenged his power and that’s what led to this toxic relationship, Smith wants as much power as possible to botch non 1st round picks and FA signings. A GM who throws a massive contract at a QB without discussing it with the coach is a GM who wants a yes man.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When someone incompetent is trying to grab power you SHOULD put them in check.

11. showa13

showa13 Member

My only problem is if the next coach is competent and wants to go a different direction than Rick I fear he might run off a good coach.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I could see that, but if this team had a competent coach and a healthy roster, they'd be a Super Bowl contender and when things are good, you rarely see those kinds of problems.

13. showa13

showa13 Member

True, Deshaun masked a lot of problems when he was playing, just speaks to his Rodgers like affect on the team(if he’s in the game we have a chance against anyone).

Also whoever is in charge of strength and conditioning needs to be gone.

raining threes and mario_v like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. alethios

alethios Member

That dude is going to get flamed and rightfully so. :mad:

red5rocket and craigharmann like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow, he really did go there, didn't he?

17. Remix

Remix Member

He has to drum up interest somehow for his shitty show.

Also he's probably still butthurt for getting his media pass revoked during training camp

18. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I wish that it would fall silent. He'd hate that

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only thing slightly better than Rick Smith no longer being the GM... is if Josh Innes managed to idiot himself out of a job as well at Rick Smith's expense.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is bad naked.