1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Last post before I go into full Astros mode.

We're not gonna fire a coach mid season, so he has the rest of this season. He's overall done a magnificent job with the offense, but if he continues to coach like this in close games, he has to go.

ElPigto likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@DatRocketFan got all the analogies.

3. Mr. Space City

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

hopefully bootychin has FINALLY learned his lesson from the new england game and the seattle game.

you have a star qb. it's ok to put the game in his hands.

he's a good playcaller, and he's doing great things with watson, but he needs to learn from his mentor belicheck, and seize those wins instead of hoping you back into one.

it's disheartening to think that the texans could fine themselves in a similar situation in the super bowl and bootychin does the same **** that could cost us a super bowl if we ever got to that point.

#1523 Mr. Space City, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Shark44 likes this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Gotta can this loser. Get someone who doesn’t fetal position up in the corner when the game is on the line. Anyone can make dumb calls like that...he’s paid to be smarter than that, but hasn’t shown anything that a pee-wee league coach couldn’t do late in games.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

OMG we have Trump we don’t need Bush back lol

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This. Even with the Brown holdout, injuries, and now the McNair controversy, etc...it'll be hard to overlook the coaching mistakes in the Pats and Seahawks game should we miss the playoffs. It's a shame because I think this might be the best overall coaching BoB has done since he's been here but just way too many critical mistakes from your HC.

7. texian

texian Member

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

O'Brien is just an offensive coordinator now I guess

9. Mr. Space City

texasn should be 5-2 right now and watson should be leading mvp candidate if bootychin wasn't such a wuss

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me it's not as much about Bill being a "pu**y" [see other thread] or a horrible coach... which he clearly isn't.
    And it's not even entirely about him not "learning" from last time with the Patriots.

It's about not understanding what pretty much everyone knows.

Which is the Seahawks TO's don't matter a ton in that situation. It'd be like Brady with 2 timeouts or no timeouts.

I'm equally scared either way.

If we're talking about running the clock running down to 20 seconds or less... ok. But we weren't talking about that.

The great QBs can easily run 2 minute drives with no timeouts to win a game. This has been proven over and over.
    THEN you factor in the Texans horrible defense, the fact that the ball was best kept in Watson's hand, etc.

And finally, to top it all off... the lack of timeouts actually HELPED the Seahawks. Because the Texans were confused as f*ck. The Seahawks are probably calling timeouts if they had them, which benefits the Texans more than the Seahawks...

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

“The owner and his management team are wondering if O’Brien is the right man with the right temperament with the proper coaching courage to lead Houston in this new DeShaun Watson era, sources within the Texans told me Monday morning”

12. texian

texian Member

13. texian

texian Member

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He’s only in charge of the offense when the defense is elite and the offense is bad and the team is still winning. Now that the offense is amazing but the defense is horrendous and the team is under .500, he’s responsible for everything. Funny how that works.

Same with QBs. When they suck, it’s his fault for picking them and for them playing poorly. When the QB does amazing then it’s all on the QB and BOB is just there to hold him back.

texian likes this.
  15. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

How many times has he said, "It's on me, I have to do better" time and time again about the same things? I don't think he'll be back. As for the string of quotes from Pat Starr, he's kept the team together this week in their "outrage" over something the person who pays them said. The person who pays Bill, too. He's got to go.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You seem to arbitrarily be putting other people's comments on me. He's always been responsible for everything.

Any leak on his ship is his leak, otherwise we should just demote him to offensive coordinator and hire a head coach with balls.

17. Mr. Clutch

What are the players gonna say, that they hate playing for the head coach?

Unfortunately it looks like Rick Smith, who signed Osweiler for $37 million guaranteed while gutting the OL and secondary, will stay.

18. Mr. Clutch

Coach has to call a timeout when there is 10 seconds left instead of waiting until there is only 2 seconds left.

Blame the players all you want, but Rick and Billy worked together to get this roster. They were the ones trading away picks and overpaying for free agents.

#1538 Mr. Clutch, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    craigharmann likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

BOB isn't designing or coaching Watson's amazing rollouts and improvisations (which make up a huge number of his completions and yardage).

The verdict has been in on BOB as an offensive architect, in-game tactician, and talent elevator for over a year now. That verdict is abjectly terrible.

I don't give BOB credit for the defense being good the last 3 years, so I won't give him blame for it crumbling this year, but it is ultimately his job this offseason to make sure his lieutenants get it fixed or to find new lieutenants.

That is unless he is fired, god willing.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

I would expect nothing less from Patrick Homer Starr.

craigharmann likes this.