1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The narrative has always been that defense wins championships (Bear Bryant) but I disagree that it’s historically proven. The studies I’ve read say that offense and defense have a near equal correlation to playoff success:
    http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/20/does-defense-really-win-championships/

Our defense is good but I think perhaps overrated. We haven’t played very good teams. Our offensive line looked bad until we started playing bad defenses. This allowed us to run and avoid turning it over in the passing game. Our secondary is questionable and I expect will struggle against stronger passing attacks. I grant that our run defense and pass rush are great.

Only one way to prove whether they’re capable this year. If we lose our first playoff game will that change your opinion of BOB? I don’t think he’s a good offensive coordinator and I fear that our regular season success will contribute to prolonging our mediocrity. His extension was premature regardless.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bill is coaching his ash off now. No need to fire him now.

Wattafan likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My only stance has always been that after Watson's great debut last year, with the offense humming, there was virtually no chance BOB would get fired. I only care about Watson's development...and if he's meshing well with the current coaching staff, and continuing to show progress (and win games), it would be hard to support changing that.

Had they continued their awful start to the season this year, he would rightly have been dismissed.... they turned it around.

Most people who didn't want him back, and were relishing at the opportunity to fire him after the bad start, are going to have a hard time rooting for this team in the midst of their success... people who would rather have this team lose, which would force a coaching change, then root for this team's success.

And, to go back to the original point... great offenses typically do put up less points in the playoffs. Some of the all-time great offensive teams over the last 30 years (Montana Niners, Kelly Bills, Warner Rams) had a tougher go of it in the playoffs or SB. I'm not negating offense all-together, just that more teams have won SB's with great defense and ok offense than vice versa. You do need execution on both sides of the ball. Even Trent Dilfer had a SB touchdown pass.

This is far from a perfect team... they do need better talent up front on the line, as well as in the secondary. Both issues can be fixed rather easily in the draft and FA, which I expect will further the chances that Watson and the current nucleus will find a chance for real success soon (if not this year).

bobloblaw and Wattafan like this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

9 Game win streaks are a dime a dozen.

We have not done a thing yet, Brian. Not a thing.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't want him fired. I just want him to hire someone to tell him when to call timeout.

Madano, Joshfast and Uprising like this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mike McCarthy for oc, anyone?

7. Buck Turgidson

Does he know how/when to call timeouts, throw a challenge flag, run a 2-minute offense, and teach Deshaun to throw the ball away?

Rodman23, DonnyMost, Madano and 2 others like this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding everyone that threadstarter brought up Mike McCarthy as something to aspire towards. LOL.

Joshfast, mario_v and Uprising like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Teams with a 9 game winning streak don't fire their coach.

Rodman23 and No Worries like this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We might still get steamrolled in the playoffs, but I am encouraged by Watson's smart play -- not gambling, running with caution -- and also OB not trying to have him fling it 40+ times a game (I know having leads and a running game helps that).

I do think this is a really good defense, if they can prove to be dominant in the playoffs we have a chance. Clowney and Mercilus need to bring it.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nor are they walking dumpster fires.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

To play "devil's advocate", a team did hire a new OC late in the season once and went on to win the super bowl that year.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This thread is going on 3 years old.

There is plenty of time for BOB to suck more or ownership to raise the bar.

MadMax likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No way it happens. Even though the offense only scored 1 TD yesterday it was more than enough with this defense. And when the team is behind you can expect Watson to stage a good comeback attempt. Basically 20 points is enough to win right now.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4 wind were also either overtime or came down to a last second field goal. A 5th was squeaking by Buffalo. Part of getting the last place schedule (ranked 26 according to football outsiders)

That said, the other 3 wins were dominant and the offense and special teams have been consistently very good even if the offense hasn't.

16. donkeypunch

He is the new rick smith.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He was fired, in large part, for being an unimaginative offensive mind who had fallen behind the NFL's offensive explosion while not recognizing (Aaron Jones) or developing (pick any receiver not named Adams) talent. Yeah, we're good.

Bill O'Brien - *years* ago - lined JJ Watt up at tight end. If the Texans can 1) improve their OL; 2) improve their playmakers (or, rather - if their playmakers stay healthy), I'm more and more convinced BOB will unleash the kraken. I think his approach this year has been directly impacted by Watson's slow start/recovery/health and having to scheme around the OL and no Fuller/Coutee.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rick Smith got us watson without him this team would be not be good.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

And youre point is.....?

He also extended Schaub coming after injury. So?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think BOB is a good coach.