1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finishing first in division...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pocketrocket81, Dec 29, 2018.

1. pocketrocket81

I know it is way early in the season but looking at the standings today made me think. It seems every team is beating every team and the league is more balanced this year. But looking at the standings the Rockets are in first place in divisional race but only the 6th seed in playoffs. No other team in our division is technically in playoffs at this point and we are only in playoffs by one game.

I googled and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I assume that winning your respective division gets you a playoff seed but I don't know for sure. My question is if at the end of the season if all the teams in a division finish with a worse record then the 8th seed does the division leader get a playoff seed by default or not?

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

They could all miss the playoffs. Winning a divison doesn't matter at all anymore. Or like 3-4 years ago when all of divison made the playoffs.

pocketrocket81 likes this.
  3. pocketrocket81

I hated making a thread to ask this but thanks for the reply.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It would be pretty amazing to see a division leader miss the playoffs. I doubt that has happened yet?

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I think the only benefit it would serve would be for a tiebreaker scenario, although hypothetically the rule is applied to the better division record between two tied teams and the division winner would obviously have the better mark in that category.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the Rockets are not first, this org has failed.

DD