1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally!! Root Sports will allow live online streaming

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by WizzyWig, Feb 9, 2017.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Please god, give us a feasible Astros/Rockets streaming option soon. I'm cutting the cord the day it happens. Cable has to be on the outs soon, right? What a ridiculously priced and outdated product.

Cold Hard, mario_v and CK Johnson like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...tros-games-11046843.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Root Sports has reached an agreement with Major League Baseball for in-market streaming of Astros games to authenticated users, but the service likely will not be available until next month.

AT&T, which owns the Root Sports networks, is working with distributors such as Comcast and DirecTV and with MLB Advanced Media on a system that will enable Root Sports Southwest subscribers to stream games, a company spokesman said.

"We are hoping that Root Sports viewers will be able to stream the games from their distributors who decide to offer them, starting in May," the spokesman said.

Root Sports - which also telecasts Pirates, Mariners and Rockies games - was one of the last holdouts in finalizing a streaming deal. Fox Sports, which broadcasts Rangers games throughout a five-state region that includes Houston, already has a streaming system in place.

NESN, which carries Red Sox games, also has a streaming agreement but has yet to offer the service. No deals have been reached for the Nationals, Orioles and Dodgers.

Root Sports Southwest is available on Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and a few smaller systems in the Houston area.​

Uprising likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Root Sports supposedly has deals in place to stream both NBA and MLB in market games, not sure why they're dragging ass. Never thought I'd say it, but Fox Sports SW and Comcast Sports Net honestly would've been better options then Root when it comes to streaming. Their in market games are available to stream via their mobile apps and services like PlayStation Vue.

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Use this for blackouts.

https://www.yonder.tv

They give you a 7 day free trial and its only $3 a month.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Looks like the streaming service is ready for the Astros.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Fantastic news for the workday grind

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any word on how to access them? Root sports does not have an app...

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This still doesn't say how you are supposed to access the live stream but it does provide some more information.

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

UM.....Directv IS AT&T.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crazy how the channel started with Comcast exclusive rights... and now they can't reach an agreement despite being the majority market of viewers who have pay tv in Houston.

13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That's what I thought as well but that's what it says in the article.

14. conquistador#11

I should be able to open my direct tv app. And scroll down to channel 674 and watch like i do with amc. That would be the sane way butttt noooo badly tailored suits always love complicating things. I cant figure this ish out. There is no stream at the rootsports site.

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Anyone know how this works for DirecTV? I tried to access the stream on the three websites mentioned but couldn't find it.

16. conquistador#11

Same here
    It is frustrating you'd think they'd mention it in the astros homepage under news.

Hustle Town likes this.
  17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I contacted MLB through their site. I got a reply with a link to authenticate my Directv account. tried it it didn't work because it was looking for a subscription to Extra Innings. I replied ot the original email but no response yet. If I get something back I will post it in here.

Hustle Town likes this.
  18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When I downloaded the MLB At-Bat app (then clicked the "Lite" version, which means free), there's an ad in the middle of the Astros page for in-market streaming. I clicked it, it let me enter my DTV info, and worked successfully.

However, I couldn't figure it out on the actual website, and I looked around a lot. The app was the only place I could find that gave me the option.

Hustle Town likes this.
  19. GottaHaveHeart

what about Spectrum?

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Keep us posted if you figure out how to do it on desktop/Windows