1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film] Michael Bay's 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Aug 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TheresTheDagger

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V7PwJxHdRDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Due out in January. Michael Bay's film version of "13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi" by Mitchell Zuckoff.

Coincidentally right before the Presidential primaries.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Looks pretty good, but Michael Bay makes me believe it'll be pretty weak.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah I got disappointed once I saw who the director was.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This could be his Color Purple.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The funny thing is that one thing we know from the bazillion hearings on the subject is that no stand down order was ever given, yet it's still in the film?

Oh well didn't really expect any better.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The preview for this was in Rogue Nation and there were many groans. I was one of them.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it would be in the movie, the survivors say that they were ordered to stand down, so even if the people that allegedly told them to stand down say that they didn't do it, it'll still be in the movie. Maybe they'll have a part at the end where the people who told them to stand down say that they never told them to stand down in hearings on the subject.

I mean, I'm sure the movie is based on the book "13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi" which was written by the survivors....why wouldn't the movie be from their perspective?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sorry, here's a link to all of the transcripts. There was never a stand down order, and in fact the U.S. mobilized military units that very night.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/07...-completely-baseless-benghazi-conspiracy.html

If you don't want to read that this article points out that nine of the military officers who were part of it all, acknowledge there was no stand down order. It simply didn't happen.
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/07/10/nine-military-officers-demolish-foxs-benghazi-s/200062

Fox has tried to change what Stand Down order means.
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09/05/fox-changes-meaning-of-stand-down-order-to-keep/200669

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you just didn't understand what I was saying. This isn't some "FoxNews" thing, this is based on the account of the survivors who actually went in. They say that they were ordered to stand down, they wrote a book about it, that's what the movie is based on.

Others claiming that they never gave a stand down order is sort of irrelevant, no? Also, wouldn't you sort of want to make it seem like an order like that never happened if you gave it or passed it on? Military/Government CYA actions absolutely do happen.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'd have more faith in the guys from Super Troopers doing a better job then ole' helicopter explosion bro.

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Bay should have just made the next villain in Transformers 7 a sentient internet server named "Ben Gozzi."

12. conquistador#11

there are a lot of explosions but are the terroristas aliens? maybe that's the twist! mind blowing.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It isn't just about people saying they didn't give the order, it's about testimony of people saying they never received a stand down order.

I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure what's in it. But I do know that they've had hearing after hearing doing all sorts of investigations on the matter, from people who would have received the stand down order, and they have concluded there was never one given. It isn't just about those who were giving the orders claiming they never gave one, it was also about the testimony of those that were receiving the orders saying that they never received one. Even Republicans on the committee have admitted there was no stand down order.

14. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Michael Bay? Pass.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet, the surviving 5 that went in still claim to have been given that order. I guess they just made it up....because reasons.

Remember when everyone knew that Pat Tillman was killed by the Taliban?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Who are these 5 people? Compared to the people that he is referring to that testified? And if these 5 people stated there was one why didn't they testify?? Republicans would want nothing more than to have that I assume to stop the Clinton freight train heading into 2016?

Something doesn't ad up at all between what you two are both saying.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh it all adds up perfectly.

Opportunistic and angenda-driven 5 people + Bobbythegreat only parsing information that reinforces what he wants to believe = predictable posts + predictable movie

I would *love* to follow the money trail on the production of this movie. That would be much more entertaining than the fantasy they put on screen.

On the positive side, I do hope this adds fire to a rising tradition of hollywood attack movies in the presidential season. Each candidate should get their own insidious hit piece. It's only fair. Harvey Keitel stars as Bernie Sanders in Red Depends Baby.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why didn't these elite secret super soldiers save Ben Ghazi from attack and capture -- did they even try to find out where he is being held before they evacuated?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It gets more interesting. On paper, at least through IMDB, the lead producers are Michael Bay himself and Hollywood mainstay Erwin Stoff.

They both only list campaign contributions to demo's (minor amounts), so that's pretty interesting. Michael Bay even supported Hillary's campaign in '08, so either: (1) he soured on her, (2) his politics have changed a lot, (3) he just wants another $ making action movie, or ... (4) this movie might have a surprise ending with a woman secretary of state riding in all rambo-like and saving everyone. :grin:

20. TheresTheDagger

Watch the following video. At the 1:03 mark, you can hear one of the 6 GRS operators on the ground that day state he was ordered to:

"Stand down, you need to wait".

The person who stated this to the GRS operator is referred to as "Bob". Bob in this video (and the book 13 hours) is identified as the CIA Annex chief. So there absolutely WAS a stand down order given...either that or you have to claim these operators are lying.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ku4zBRm0_q8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>