1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Opening-night dud vs. Magic marked by lack of aggression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Oct 26, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Rockets teased with hope and possibilities, not just for the season that had been filled with good intentions to turn things around after the dreary three years of rebuilding, but for their opening night.

The Rockets made their move, and for five fun minutes, things looked pretty good, promising even. The ball was moving, shots were falling, the Magic lead was rapidly disappearing, reduced from 17 to one. But when it all blew up, and the Rockets’ season began Wednesday with a crash, the problem was not just that things suddenly went wrong.

The game went back to the way it had been all along. That good stretch was the aberration, an enjoyable departure from the way the Rockets had been playing all along.

“I said to our group,” Ime Udoka said after his first game as Rockets coach, “’That was the worst game we’ve played collectively and individually in a lot of ways.’”

The 116-86 loss was the second-worst to open a season in Rockets history, with only a 128-95 loss at Seattle in the 1982-83 season opener more lopsided. The Rockets were down 18 when they began to clear their bench Wednesday, but they were badly outplayed, bullied and overpowered most of the night.

This was the reversal of their preseason, when the Rockets played well through most of their games but went through an ugly stretch that showed there was still ample work to be done to really turn things around. But this time, instead of one poor stretch dropped in the middle of strong performances — as with the starts of two games in San Antonio or beginning of the second half against Miami — the Rockets began the season with a dud, only briefly, misleadingly interrupted.

“It was just too easy for them to score all night,” Udoka said. “It was in the first half, as well. They were the tougher team. They got every 50/50 ball, 16 offensive rebounds. They were the aggressor tonight.

“You expect (the Magic’s energy and physical play). It’s opening night at home, so you expect that to be the case. But I didn’t expect us to wilt under that physicality.”

The performance looked worse because of some offensive issues. Jalen Green never got loose and spent the night driving into swarms of defenders, making 2 of 10 shots with four turnovers. His final shot was an attempt at an emphatic slam that Jonathan Isaac swatted at the buzzer to end the third quarter.

“I just wasn’t making shots,” Green said. “I wasn’t as aggressive as I normally am.”

Udoka said the Rockets’ execution was also off, with the team failing to set the screens to get Green and others room to work. But there were plenty of other issues.

Alperen Şengün had made his first six shots, keeping the Rockets in the game in the first half, but missed his remaining five, scoring one point with no rebounds in the second half (though he did lead the team with six assists). Jabari Smith Jr. fouled out with seven points on 3-of-9 shooting. Rookie Amen Thompson had a jittery debut, making 3 of 10 shots with four turnovers.

Yet, even if the Rockets had executed offensively better, had Smith hit 3s and Green gotten better looks and made them, the Rockets would not have solved the greater problems that they never could overcome.

“We just didn’t meet their punch,” Fred VanVleet, who had 14 points with five assists, said. “Thought we did OK in some certain spots. But the biggest things that stuck out early was their offensive rebounding and our turnovers had us on our heels and we just never were able to regain the momentum. Fought back. Felt like we were about to turn the corner. And they went on another run.

“They came out firing and ready to play. We didn’t meet that fight that we needed to.”

The Magic's success pushing around the Rockets was most obvious on the offensive boards. The Rockets were the NBA’s top rebounding team last season, especially strong on the offensive glass. Through three quarters Wednesday, they had three offensive rebounds. They were outrebounded 56-31 and outscored in second-chance points 19-10 (15-4 before the fourth quarter).

“The problem the whole game was offensive rebounding, finding a way to get rebounds so we could push in transition,” said Dillon Brooks, who had 14 points on 5 of 7 shooting, and held Orlando’s Franz Wagner in check. (Wagner made his first three 3-pointers, but just one was against Brooks, and he missed his remaining four 3s.)

“They had a run in the first quarter,” Brooks said. “Somehow, we have to figure a way to be better at that, not being down by 10. Trying to fight our way back is hard in this league.”

The Rockets’ slow start turned out to be telling, with the Magic cleaning the glass from the start and forcing seven Rockets turnovers as Houston trailed by 11 in the first quarter. Some of that could have been from opening-night jitters. But even with a 4-1 preseason record, the Rockets were outscored by an average of five points per first quarter.

The Rockets could have overcome that. For a five-minute stretch to begin the second half, it appeared that they had. Instead, the Magic hit back, and the Rockets folded.

“We were defending at a high level the way we came out in the third quarter, looked like we looked in training camp and preseason games,” Udoka said. “We came out with more energy, got out and ran, and got some 3s to fall. But let go of the rope.”

#1 daywalker02, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    RCPM, Aruba77, travfrancis and 8 others like this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

“I just wasn’t making shots,” Green said. “I wasn’t as aggressive as I normally am.”

That's not the problem and the fact that he thinks that's the problem indicates that it's going to get worse.

3. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

They're saying exactly what I'd hope they say. Manhood got challenged and very few even tried to step up. I know Jalen is not usually the kind of guy to be a bully on the court, but he might need a bit more of that. Letting someone stand over you after they block your dunk and laugh at you isn't something you can stand for. I'd rather he get T'd up in that instance.

I remember when the Hawks tried to son Jabari last year with that head tap thing, and the whole team wasn't having it. Where was that kind of response last night? After that block, everyone folded. The memo is out now though, just bully the Rockets and they'll fold. Whether or not they can do something about it remains to be seen.

JayGoogle and NewAge like this.
  4. kpdark

kpdark Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: @Clutch frowns upon full article posts from the Chronicle and the Athletic. Especially with no link to the source.

last summer, he ran an announcement in this forum for a few days, so everyone would see it.

For those new to the bbs this year, here’s what he wrote.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...ion-articles-on-the-clutchfans-forums.316148/

This was a BBS announcement in early June. I'm just going to post it here so it's still active and also can be discussed.

--------------------------------

Please do not post the full text of subscription articles on the ClutchFans forums.

Specifically, I'm referring to the the paywall articles from the Houston Chronicle and The Athletic that on occasion are being posted here in full. I don't want CF to be a backdoor to subscribing. The Houston Chronicle is 99 cents for 6 months. It's currently $1 a month at The Athletic for 6 months. It's not expensive.

If there's something newsworthy, I consider it totally fair to quote it or cite a paragraph or two (at most) and include a link to the story. But please don't post more than that. Those writers get paid off of subscriptions and I want our forums to be fair to them.​

Thanks!
    Clutch​

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Thanks for the post

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The problem isn't aggression on offense. It was on defense and rebounding.

On offense Green and Jabari takes some of the dumbest contested shots praying they go in or ref bailout.

FVV was too passive in the first half and I'm sure that will change once he realizes this team needs him to take shots, even if he isn't the most efficient player. It's what literally happened last year on the Raptors which led to Raptors fans calling him selfish.

NewAge likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Jalen wasnt as aggressive as he normally is? He pretty much looked like he always does. Falling out of bounds 3 pointer called for an offensive foul, multiple out of control stuffs at the rim and 2-10 shooting. At this point this is who I expect him to be until he turns the corner but we have other players on the team that can take the reigns if he still thinks this is year 1. I didn't really care about his first two years as Silas was a lame duck coach and he was a rookie/sophomore. You can't blame those things anymore and I'm not going to keep holding out hope for him to turn it around....let alone become "him" as the TikTok crew loves to say.

Jabari I at least have some hope for as it's only his second year and he has the demeanor. But same ****. Box out, rebound, stay upright and ****ing shoot when you have a shot. You're a shooter kid. Act like it. Dillon/FVV dragged us back into the game (Alpy kept us in it) and then the wheels fell off.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I think he just lacks the intelligence a player needs to reach the highest level in the NBA. High IQ and the mental aspect is so underrated I think

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is I/me U the right coach for the Rockets?

boomboom likes this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I understand you there. He needs to get it together and improve in the real areas.

Corpusfan likes this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

One game hold your horses.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you gonna fire the chef because he can’t make you a 4 star meal with expired meat?

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Rebounding was terrible last night. We just looked like a small team out there (and I guess we are kinda small).

15. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Who TF even are you people? If this is sarcasm I can't even tell anymore.

evo8lover likes this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm just disgusted by how p***y soft they were. This team needs to grow a damn sack. They got humiliated on the boards. I honestly hoped that Brooks was going to change that, but they looked softer than ever. It's like they had no pride at all.

Losmi_34 likes this.
  17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

@KingCheetah

You've been reported twice this week now. Get ready for unpaid administrative leave.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I sincerely apologize for @KingCheetah's communication, which was clearly not in line with our company's values of respect and collaboration. I understand that his behavior was unprofessional and caused you public embarrassment.

KingCheetah is committed to learning from this experience and growing as a professional. He has already taken steps to improve his communication skills and conflict resolution strategies. He is also proactively reaching out to HR to discuss the situation and ensure that he is taking the appropriate steps to remediate the harm he has caused.

In the meantime, I will prioritize the change you requested and provide you with a status update by Friday, October 26th. I am confident that we can move forward from this incident and work together to achieve our shared goals.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

@Dr of Dunk

Hank McDowell, J.R. and whozee like this.
  19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

lol I needed that.

20. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Does a bear **** in the woods?