1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Fertitta scouting for new practice facility/entertainment complex

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Nov 23, 2017.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

Didn’t see this posted unless it’s buried in a thread. What are y’all thoughts? I personally don’t like the idea of moving the practice facility to the suburbs and if you’re gonna pair it with an entertainment complex then downtown seems like most logical option. Obviously land in DT would be more expensive than the suburbs but I’m really hoping this can find its way DT if not at least In the loop. The fact that Tilman is spending already is great news obviously.

My favorite part of the article though is his quote referring to a metamorphosis of Toyota Center. Sounds like he has big plans and that’s exciting to hear because if we’re being honest Toyota Center is a nice venue but definitely nothing special. I remember seeing the renderings for the first time and being underwhelmed (exterior). IIRC it was one of the cheapest arenas to be built during its time. I think what it has going for it is it’s in an urban setting and has the potential to create a nice basketball neighborhood similar to what MMP is heading toward.

What would you guys like to see?

I’ve mentioned this before but on a big scale I would love to see the lot in front of TC turned into an entertainment complex with restaurants and bars acting as a bridge/new front door to TC.

2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Hopefully, he's also fixing the jerseys and empty arena on camera issues.

adw, TMac'n, Bo6 and 11 others like this.
  3. NateNate

NateNate Member

I’ve loved his quotes so far. Sounds like he’s gonnna let the fans have their say on the uniform conversation. Hell, even though it’s not a fix, I think him implementing the “first shot” tradition is a small example of him trying to getting butts in the seats on time.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah we could use it. They built LA Live in front of the Staples Center and it revitalized downtown LA. A similar shopping and entertainment district with the Toyota center at the centerpiece would be nice.

Von Rafer, BigMaloe, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  5. NateNate

NateNate Member

This bad boy is set to begin construction soon and there is a phase 2 down the road so lots around TC will be disappearing. I don’t think we’ll see anything on the same scale as Staples Center “live” but the empty lot directly in front of TC would be perfect to me. Obviously it had to make sense economically (seeing as I’m sure that lot makes a lot of money in parking) and I don’t know who owns that lot but that’s my hope.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TMac'n, Bo6, Houstunna and 8 others like this.
  6. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea Downtown LA is way better now. lots of things to go around and the streets are safer now or they just look better and better lit.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My bet his they will practice behind a one-way, glass wall at his new Space Jam theme restaurant.

J/K sounds like a first move to get a hockey team into TC. They will be sharing it more, so need another place to practice.

What does he mean Entertainment Complex, and that they are scouting venues? This would be awesome if next to TC, as could solve the early arrival problem, like the area around Am Airlines arena in Dallas. But if the venue is moved, let's hope it isn't a distraction for the players, JVG and Pops wouldn't like to move just to help the team make more money opening a hotel outside of downtown, vs practicing in TC....

And what's up with his first idea to improve the Player Lounge and kitchen, if they are moving? Must be about Hockey cramping TC like Staples gets cramped, imo, or to make a better area next door.

#7 heypartner, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    BigMaloe, RasaqBoi and BigShasta like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

There are much better ways for Billionaires to throw money down a toilet than hockey in Houston, TX.

I wonder what properties, if any, the Rockets own around the TC. Maybe just moving the practice facility and turning it into some bars and restaurants if what is being considered as a Entertainment Complex. Otherwise, if he's going big than hotel/residential on top of bars and restaurants as there are plenty of surface lots in the vicinity to put something on.

#8 dmoneybangbang, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. dmoneybangbang

Maybe something on the other side of the park? That would certainly make things more cohesive in this part of downtown with that Green Street property remodeled nearby.

NateNate likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well, I'm not guessing here. There is continued talk by Fertitta looking into this.

And what makes you think it's throwing money down the toilet, necessarily. wrt his new purchase of the Rockets, he has essentially two new businesses now: 1) The Rockets and 2) the TC Operations. The TC Operations net income will always increase with more days of events. That's the whole point of a stadium, and why Les originally researched hockey. It got tabled, but is now on the front burner of business research for Tilman. He has said that.

point of history: The NBA started because ppl owned stadiums and were looking for events to fill them with. Most (if not all) original NBA owners also owned the stadiums. That biz strategy that drove the infancy of NHL and NBA has not died. The owners of stadiums still think that way -- Sports and Entertainment events -- and Tilman is one of the lucky NBA Owners who is essentially a Stadium Owner with that great lease he has to profit off of operations.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I thought Tillman was already in financial trouble?!:eek:

12. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

why I love him as a owner, he loves land real estate, establishments, he will have all kind of stuff going eventually....... look at his portfolio of what he's done so far

Von Rafer, Houstunna and DonKnock like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What’s the name of this project?

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

So when is the Toyota Center going to become "Landry's Center" ?

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Doesn't look to me like a downtown facility/entertainment venue is the most likely scenario here.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Actually gonna change it to The Beardwalk. For subtle cross promotion

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Tilman wants to chose a site in Sugar Land then I co-sign 1000%...downtown is cool too I guess due to proximity to TC

18. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think he wants to improve the TC more than just build a whole new arena but he needs land to make improvements bc as it stands TC is so limited in land that you can't make improvements to it when it comes to making it bigger. Therefore, he wants to maybe remove that super small practice facility to maybe make a bigger players lounge or a bigger workout facility. So than he wants to build around or relocate the players practice court in Katy, Sugarland, etc. so that he can make it bigger and better but he only wants to relocate it if he can't purchase land around TC.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Can't remember the name but it's a multi family development by Camden, one of the largest apartment developers in the country and headquartered here in Houston. It's a two phase development that includes a second tower on an adjacent tract. I'm fairly certain they announced they'd be starting phase 1 pictured above in the very near future.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I live in Kemah so I vote kemah