1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigan] Gary Clark to Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nimo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. He was with us earlier
    2. We offered House a longer contract and he turned it down. That's on him, not us.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Vipers supersquad didn't come away with the win tonight .

Hartenstein showed up though

28/17/5 with only 1 turnover ; 1-3 from three . 11/15 from the floor .

Even if he's just getting dunk and rebounds .... that's the exact role he would be playing for us .

I'm excited about this kid for next year . 20 years old , 7 feet , decently athletic , good work ethic .... and is producing in the g-league

jsilencio, RudyTBag, Mazulis and 3 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

And they're back.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That lasted long!

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

The Rockets recall Danuel House Jr.:

"Oh yeah, I remember that guy. He helped out a bit back when everyone was injured. Whatever happened to that dude?"

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

The level of competition between the G-League and the NBA is so crazy.

Hartenstein can look like Shaq with a jumper in the G, while he'd be lucky to get even 2 points, in actual NBA competition.

saleem likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

They likely sent them down expecting better news about Faried.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yup .

But then again ... if you gave hartenstein the same minutes in the NBA that he's getting in the g-league .... I'm sure he'd average more than 2 points lol .

The main issue is what is available for him in the g league vs in the NBA .

Right now it looks like he's getting most of his points off dunks (alley oops)

The PnR coverage in the NBA is much better. To successfully complete an alley-oop in the NBA hartenstein would (on average) have to get up higher and quicker ... because the rim protectors are much better . He also has more time to get off a jumper .

But I mean id rather him be producing than not . Clint and dmo put up big numbers in the g-league consistently before they broke through at the NBA level . I think the fact that he's playing 35 minutes and averaging like 25/15 is good .

He will work on his body and skills over the summer and I think he will be good enough to take over the backup spot . He's got a long way to go but I think the potential is there .

At this point anyone saying he is a lifelong scrub doesn't have any idea what they are taking about . There aren't that many 20 year old seven footers . There are even fewer who can hustle consistently .

10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

It's the fact that he can hit an open 3 that is going to give him a chance at the NBA...He's decent at a lot of things, but you at least need to be good to great at something to play in the rotation. So if he can hit that 3, he's good as a bench big. I don't see him ever being great at rolling or in the post, but you never know.

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I dunno that if you are 7 feet tall that you have to be great at something to play .

As long as he can play good team-positional defense and doesn't get burned too badly 1on 1 he will eventually find minutes .... even if he's just ok at offense .

See omer Asik .

IF hartenstein can just become a solid rebounder and defender he will play .

Obviously I have higher hopes , but that's a baseline

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I said good to great, so at least good at something. Correct

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm going to guess it's because he was on the team before Danuel House and he was actually willing to sign his long-term minimum.

YOLO likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Same reason Paul bought Clark a Mercedes SUV and not House.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The NBA game has changed so much in the last 5 years or so , traditional bigs are almost irrelevant. You gotta be able to play the pick and roll well on both ends of the court and be able to shoot and defend on the perimeter ….

I think Hartenstein is kinda a throw back big who's making himself into an NBA style player ….

His defense will probably be the deciding factor …. cause if teams just isolate on him every play , you cant put him out there. He does everything else "well enough".

As for Clark (and the others) , I think they just sent them down to get them some court time rather than doing nothing for 3 days - got them back in time for practice and the next game. The more shots Clark can get up the better ….

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So you're saying Harden should buy House a Mercedes SUV too?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I feel like with Hartenstein at this point its all mental. I'm not sure how more g league experience will help. Age might help, because with age might come maturity, and the maturity to say "f'it, can't be nervous about this anymore, try my best and see what happens". I think he looked a little better in his sporadic time his second stint playing here and there, even if the stats didn't show it. Wasn't quite as incapable of switching defensively and didn't seem quite as overwhelmed by the speed of the game. If he can acclimate to the speed of the game, there's definite NBA upside there...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They don't play any defense in the G league. It's like the all-star game for scrubs.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Serious question: how many of you own Hartenstein jerseys?

1? Less than 1?

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Getting reps against professional athletes will help him more than sitting on our bench. We aren't a team that practices much to begin with, particularly at this point in the season. Unless Nene gets hurt it's exactly where he should be so he can keep developing his game.

He is still really, really young. Capela looked comically out of sorts in his first appearances with us also (with superior physical tools) and he was almost exactly the same age Hartenstein is now.