1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FEDERALIST] If We’re Going To Have A Racial Double Standard It Should Be About Black Americans Only

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I went to one briefly, but for the most part my schools were pretty affluent. I agree that there's a difference, but at the same time, when you go to the poor school, your competition is significantly less. It's much easier for example to end up in the top 5% of your class if you go to a poor school than if you go to an affluent school. Graduating high in your class makes it easier to get into better universities....and let's face it, that's what matters. High School means nothing....because it's free. Back in the days where a High School diploma meant something, you would have a case about those from better schools were better off, but those same kids from the poor schools can still go to the top universities, especially when you factor in racist policies that give certain people an advantage based on the color of their skin and cause additional hardship to others based on the color of their skin.

When we're looking at poor schools, it might mean that the first yaer of college is more difficult for the kid from the poor school that taught them nothing.....but after that, their education is coming from the university.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Teachers in Katy, Clear Lake, Clear Cr
    This is ridiculous stance. It isn't easier to stand out at at poorer school where kids act out. As a white kid, I went to Kruse Elementry and Jackson Junior High in Pasadena in 5th and 6th grade. Before I went there, I was a straight A student, and when I left I was a straight A student - while there, I was a C and D student even though the classes were slower. When I went there, both schools were over 50 years old. They've since been rebuilt with "Robin Hood" money from Deer Park... but we had rooms with led paint, rooms with non-working A/Cs and no working showers in the gym, etc.

There are major stresses at poor schools you don't have to worry about. Like living without electricity, or hot water, or having nothing to eat, and in-school and after school violence, the list goes on. Being poor isn't easy, and going to a poor school where kids are far more prone to act out isn't easy. Having teachers who have to put up with a lot more while being paid a lot less, who themselves are stressed out, isn't easy. Having teachers who likely aren't the best, because the better ones leave for higher paying districts, isn't easy. Dealing with a classroom of students with zero volunteer of parent involvement, isn't easy... I could go on.

I am a pro-capitalist registered Republican, but as I lived inner city schools myself, I know first hand that inner city kids have it a hell of a lot worse than suburb kids.

Deji McGever and JayGoogle like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Judging from the fact that he consistently posts articles from that right-wing propaganda site, I'd venture to say he's paid to do what he does.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

From my personal experiences in school, and from my time volunteering with inner city kids over the years, "The Wire" nailed what it is like to go to an inner city school. Obviously, some of the violence was embellished, but most of the struggles, especially with kids acting out, and the teachers struggling, and with the financial troubles.... it is pretty damn accurate.

Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

@Svpernaut is talking about many variables that I honestly don't think people consider unless they see it for themselves.

The gap between wealth is enough to suggest that it plays a huge factor in this. I think it would be more helpful in looking at the gaps between schools and regions.

You want to talk about the issues, why aren't you talking about what you think the reason is?

#25 JayGoogle, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    da_juice likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good luck w' that.

KingCheetah and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL @ treating the SAT like some pure measure of "aptitude."

If that were true, why have people found so very much success in raising their score with "SAT preparation" courses? Good lord.

Another @Os Trigonum thread bomb. Lit and run.

Invisible Fan, da_juice and JayGoogle like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just life being poor, imagine how bad it would be for a poor Asian kid, to deal with all of that and then have colleges discriminate against you based on the color of your skin. I wasn't saying that being poor doesn't suck, I just said that those people have the same opportunities as anyone else. The fact that their family and their community makes it hard for them to take advantage of those opportunities doesn't change that. Also, when I said it was easier to stand out at poorer schools, that's because at poor schools you have more people get wrapped up in BS instead of focusing on school. Those who focus on school stand out.....while if they were at a different school, focusing on school is the standard, it doesn't make you special.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I went to very poor schools through 8th grade. I generally did “okay” compared to the people around me.

I then was raised by Jesuit priests and I learned the difference in education and expectations very quickly. For three years I was behind all the wealthy children in my new exclusive school. In some ways I was always behind regardless of how hard I worked. I graduated and was accepted to several Ivy League schools.

Again in college I noticed the difference between myself and the kids from exclusive high schools and those that went to public and low income schools. Intelligence had little to do with it, it was the difference in quality of education and was reflected in test scores.

In graduate school, I could again spot those that were products of public and poor high schools. They lacked the polish and confidence.

So my point is that going to a poor school and receiving a poor primary education doesn’t give more opportunities. Those from poverty had to work harder just to compete with those from a superior education.

Also don’t argue with a Jesuit.

Deckard, Amiga, mdrowe00 and 5 others like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just like catcalling, I don’t owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions. And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one. ;)

#30 Os Trigonum, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    cml750 likes this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I've never really understood why immigrants and children of well off immigrant doctors/lawyers come into the country and are instantly in the same line for government assistance meant for AA males that have been historically disadvantaged. I think if your dad is a surgeon from Nigeria or engineer from UAE an AA male should get preference over you. You are in with the poor white people and rich east asians and indians.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's typically a straighforward question to know where your intentions lie without resorting to an evasive and winded response. ;)

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Charter schools on the whole outperform traditional public schools and are shown to help out specifically in poorer school districts. They get less money than traditional public schools as well. I’m continually baffled why Democrats are against charter schools. They are public schools.

Further views toward education simply need to change in Hispanic and black cultures if we are truly going to expect change into academic performance of these groups. Being smart or doing well in school is usually ridiculed or not deeply emphasized for the most part. Chris Rock joked about it but studies and numbers back it up. The Asian “model minority” is that because of the extreme emphasis on excellent performance in education. At some point we have to quit ignoring cultural issues that are the elephant in the room if we are going to try to truly fix problems.

cml750 likes this.
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you cant compare demographics well with the SAT or ACT. In the South universities use the SAT. this means that a majority of the kids in the South taking the SAT are looking to go to in state schools. Kids taking the SAT in the North are usually trying to get into out of state schools. you cant compare those groups. Since the South has a higher percentage Hispanics and African Americans, you are not comparing apples to apples.

Basically, when you look at SAT schools, you are comparing students who are more likely to be going to in state schools since they are more likely to live in the south (Hispanics and African Americans) to students who are more likely to be going to out of state schools since they are more likely to live in the north (whites).

If you want to study what you are talking about then use the NAEP.

15. Senator

Senator Member

Do you get hit on often by men?

16. Senator

Senator Member

Your reason of "poor parents" and "poor schooling" has already been proven wrong.

But the entitlement gets stronger and more obnoxious as more stats are used.

Do we need school reform and more assimilated schooling? Definitely. But assuming that will fix these problems is naive at best, disingenuous at worst. Let's address home life first before paying teachers to be parents.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Any tests that require reliance on an inherently racist system is by definition racist. From the biased manner in which black children are given punishment in relation to their white peers, to the levels of education funding and mechanisms of funding, to the nature of the segregated communities, to the quality of teachers in those communities and classroom sizes, to the quality of urban vs suburban facilities, and then to racism in society as a whole and how that affects education of children from employment, mass encarceration, the drug war, segregation, redlining, predatory lending, lack of health care, poor nutrition, etc.

mdrowe00 and JayGoogle like this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A charter school is nothing but taking the children with active parents and segregating from the children with inactive parents. Those who are already best equipped to succeed are given a leg up to succeed while those who are least equipped are left behind. It's classic conservative horseshit politics. If you want to impress someone, educate all the children and see them all do well, don't try to cull the herd and then brag about your awesome shell game.

For someone who continually claims to be open minded you sure talk a lot like a right wing conservative.

#38 CometsWin, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Amiga likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

This is not really true. Charter schools do tend to perform better than regular public schools - but they don't have a randomly selected student population. When looking at how those kids did BEFORE going to charter schools, they also tend to be better performers. Charter schools inherently get students with more involved parents.

Amiga likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

It doesn't appear that you read your own article beyond the top part that you quoted. Not only does it say that the poor-rich narrative is a huge contributing factor, it also goes into some of the reasons why we see the data you posted.

JayGoogle likes this.