1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feasibility : Gary Payton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfbreyes, Aug 5, 2001.

1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

To Rockets' Fans:

I would like to ask if the Rockets would entertain talks with Seattle to acquire Payton.

Of course, since Gary Payton is an all star, the Rockets would have to give someone up.

Would it be financially feasible to trade Maurice Taylor, Shandon Anderson, and Cuttino Mobley for Gary Payton.

Then sign Marc Jackson.

Two all star guards in Francis and Payton, plus Eddie Griffin, Marc Jackson, and Terence Morris would be a line-up to consider.

What would REALGM say to this?

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Mo, Shandon and Cat for Gary Payton? NOT NO BUT HELL NO!

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

First, we allready have a great pg in Stevie. Second, Cuttino is great friends with him so we wouldn't want to give him up even if we were going to put GP at the 2 guard. 3rd, he is known for ripping teams up with his selfish play, and 4th, the combination of Mo, Cat, and Stevie is much better than Stevie, GP, and Griffin.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Enough of these fantasy trades!

:(

1) He would cost too much to get him

2) He is a cancer

3) He is a ballhog

4) He is in or past his prime

5) We have enough guards

6) YOU check realgm. And besides, Shannn Andersn and MoTee are not even signed yet ... I don't think you could use RealGM. Im sure Seattle would do it though.

5. FranchiseRules

No way!! Isee no problems with everyone elese in the trade BUT Cuttino is the deal breaker!!!:eek:

6. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Payton would disrupt the chemistry of our team. He is a selfish money monger.

7. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I think Gary Payton is a great player but if we got him, by the time E. Griffin develops in a couple of years GP will be too old to put up allstar numbers with him while Mo and Cat at that time maybe allstars. And also I think asking for Mo, Cat and Shandon is alittle too much. Maybe either Cat and Shandon or Mo and Shandon(I know these wouldn't work Saleries wise) for GP, and even that I don't think I would want to do. The only teams that would consider GP are veteran teams that think they can win it all this year, the rockets are just only 24,26,24,19 and 26 year of age at this time with our starting lineup and a bench that is even younger than that, we're just thinking of making the playoffs for the first time in three years.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

crash5179: well put. Payton, although good, is a punk and he would kill the Rockets clubhouse with his attitude. Besides, we don't need guards, except backup ones, we need a center.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Without question, Payton is one of the best guards in the league on both sides of the ball. He is in his prime. However, would I mortgage away the future of this ballclub by letting my starting PF, SG and Shandon Anderson go?

NOPE.

Now, maybe a sign and trade for Shandon and Cato, throw in a Walt Williams type, and we can talk.

I'll put Payton at the SG and keep Stevie at the PG, or interchange them as play dictates. INSTANTLY, I have the best backcourt in the league.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

df,

Payton makes no sense for this squad. If we are gonna speculate, let's look at need vice strength.

Being an out-of-the-box kinda guy, I like different thoughts then the same old stuff we see, but let's be realistic. Besides why would we want to give up our youth for someone past his prime.

This may have made a bit of sense if HO had returned and we were trying like hell for a final championship before he retired, but that would be stretchin' it and won't happen now since HO is in TOR.

11. Flutie

Flutie Member

What do the Rockets need Payton for?

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Straight up!!!We don't need another PG, Besides he cost to much and Space Ghost is right,he past his prime and missed a lot of games last year because of injury.

That's why we got this guy name Steve Francis.:cool: