1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FBI Press Release Coded 'Skyfall' warns of possible attacks within days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrSpur, Oct 11, 2001.

1. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/skyfall.htm

For Immediate Release
    October 11, 2001 Washington D.C.
    FBI National Press Office

Certain information, while not specific as to target, gives the government reason to believe that there may be additional terrorist attacks within the United States and against U.S. interests overseas over the next several days. The FBI has again alerted all local law enforcement to be on the highest alert and we call on all people to immediately notify the FBI and local law enforcement of any unusual or suspicious activity.

2. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

okay so like there wasnt a threat before...:rolleyes:

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sirhangover -- there was a threat before...that's what makes this scary..even in the midst of a threat, we're having our govt tell us there's a reason for an even more-heightened concern.

4. Houstone

Houstone Member

Is Houston in danger of any terroist attacts....

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Lets see...

Houston has the largest concentration of oil refineries anywhere in the country.

and Texas is the home of Dubya...

Yeah, I'd say there was a threat.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just so you guys know, I see the mayor pretty much every day and he has said on several occassions that there is absolutely no indication that we are a target. They want symbols of American's dominance which is why they chose NYC and DC specifically.

The security guys who are around the mayor all the time and would know of any threat have said that Houston is way down on the list in terms of attacks from terrorist groups.

We just aren't that big of a target because we are kind of an unknown to most people around the world. Most of them don't even realize that we are a big chunk of the oil and energy industry in America. There was a quote in the paper a few weeks ago from a professor of sociology about the lack of respect Houston gets around the country and I think it is right on the money: "Houston is probably the best kept secret in America."

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I got this news update. Take it for what its worth.

"THERE'S BEEN A BIOLOGICAL TERRORIST SCARE IN A SMALL TOWN IN LIVINGSTON PARISH WHICH CAUSED AUTHORITIES TO QUARANTINE AN AMVET HALL, PUTTING SOME VETS IN ISOLATION"

I live less than one mile away from this perish. Its located directly East-NorthEast of Baton Rouge.

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I think it's curious that the FBI coded this press release as Skyfall. the first thing that makes me think of is Chicken Little and "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!".

that's weird to me because, obviously, the story is about too many false warnings causing people to get complacent.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the FBI coded their release this way.

are they just trying to be ironic?

9. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Hey SP,

Have you gotten any more info?. There's something going on downtown in Seattle right now. I started a different thread about it. Basically, an envelope (reported to be hate mail) was found w/ a strange white powder. They've evacuated part of the building, but that's all I know...

I'm curious to know if there are any similarities between the two cases...

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I think its that kind of ignorance that led to the WTC disaster. No one thought outside of the box, meaning that none of the people in our government that are paid to think of these things had a clue that terrorists would have the balls to attack NYC or DC. There is no reason why we shouldn't believe that the terrorists would consider other targets around the country.

We may be unknown to the average citizens of the world, but I'm pretty sure Bin Laden knows the how important Houston(and Texas in general) is to America's oil and energy industry.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I didn't say they weren't prepared. I said they had no reason to believe we were a threat. One of the mayor's closest advisors is the director of the FBI in Houston.

In fact, the mayor has been involved in only about 1/10th of the amount of campaigning he normally would because he spends most of his day meeting with security advisors, checking the airports, water supply, ship channel, etc.

12. treeman

treeman Member

I'll bet that bin Laden / Al Qaeda sent in another of their "notices". Apparently they send in a note informing America that it is about to be attacked before every major attack. We got one for the embassy bombings, we got one for the Cole, we got one for the WTC/Pentagon attacks. Only problem is that the "notices" are not specific and are worded so as to throw off any specific security preparations. I'll bet they just got another one.

As for whether Houston is a target, every major city is a likely target at some point in time. They want to hit every major city, not just NY and DC. It is true that they prefer symbolic targets - the WTC (economic power), Pentagon (military power), White House / Capitol bldg (political power), embassies (political power) - and Houston is a symbol of American power (energy). But they will go with less symbolic targets if they can produce mass casualties...

It will likely be targeted at some point. But my guess is that they'll target LA next. Just a hunch.

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

i hate to say it, but everywhere and anyone are targets with terrorists..

be cautious of your surroundings
    always have a way out

rH

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

An article in the New York Times suggested that al Queda has a tendency to attack places where they had previously failed. The embassies in Africa and the WTC are two examples. They have previously also threatened LAX and tunnels in NY City but were thrwarted prior to executing the attacks.

15. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

We know who to go to if something pops up in L.A.......;)

16. Houstone

Houstone Member

Did they try to bomb an L.A airport....

17. treeman

treeman Member

Thanks for reminding me about the NY tunnels, Jeff. Actually, I was thinking of LAX. I still am, because NY is pretty tight right now... I'd guess Chicago next, then DC, with Houston being a few notches down. Not too far, though.

But it could happen anywhere.

18. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Who here is actually scared?

I am.

I can't believe I am letting these bastards frighten me, but this whole thing is just getting kinda freaky for me. Where's mama when you need her?

19. treeman

treeman Member

No good reason to be afraid. If you go, you go. Extremely unlikely that it hits the building you're in.

20. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Unlikely, yet possible. I bet none of the people in the WTC were expecting a plane to smash into their building that morning.