1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fatwa for "Gay Jesus" playwrite

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Sep 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Read the article. All they have to do is OFFEND God, Jesus, or Mary-- just for starters. And then there are all the other messengers that they recognize besides Jesus. It is a wide berth that will offend them, according to the article.

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

If you call the playwright a "stupid ass" person, then be prepared to accept people calling Muslims stupid asses, or any other variety of derogatory statements (for the reaction of some Muslims to the writer).

It is his right to write just about anything he wants, as long as it does not result in the injury of other people (ala bomb directions, or "How to assassinate the Prez", etc.)

Someone can go around saying Jesus was gay, I don't care. And, I sure as hell don't think they should be put to death for it.

3. Timing

Timing Member

Any group that supports the capital punishment of people because they put on a play deserves to be insulted. That's stupid and inhumane. If you read the article it says he will be arrested and given capital punishment if he goes to ANY Muslim nation. That would seem to indicate that ALL Muslim nations are supportive of killing someone because of the type of play they put on. I guess the actions of ALL Muslim nations would seem to have great relevance to the beliefs of "Muslims", especially when in fact they're using their religion for the very basis of their actions.

So are you now prepared to say that ALL Muslim nations commit civil rights violations in the name of religion? I doubt you are but that would follow the logical line of thought that you set out.

Also FYI, Muslims are not a race. Islam is a religion practiced by all races. You know of the 7 nations on the American terrorist watch list, 5 of them are Muslim run governments or have a majority Muslim population. Is it fair to say Muslim nations have a higher rate of terrorist activity against the US? Is it fair to say a Muslim nation is much likelier to be active in international terrorism than other nations? Yep, it is fair and quite accurate but I'm sure that's just racial stereotyping to you.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Timing, Timing, Timing, you're wavering.

Your initial comment included nothing about "Muslim states" :

And thanks for the world-shattering revelation that Muslims aren't a race and Islam is a religion practiced by many races. :rolleyes:

I'm prepared to say someone in every nation commits a crime in the name of just about anything. Americans commit murder in the name of greed (robbery). My God Americans suck. White people infest death row. My God white people suck. Oh wait, those 2 statements would be absolute stupidity. I take them back.

The US is going to war. I guess everyone in America wants to go to war. The US puts dictators and idiots into power and helps fund and train them, therefore everyone in the US must support this. Oh wait, that's what all the deranged and ignorant people in the Middle East think even though it's not true.

It's a vicious circle only capable of being broken by stepping back and noticing what we're doing is no better, in general, than what "they're" doing.

No, it's pretty much just stereotyping because, as you know, Muslims aren't a race.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

The night before the attacks, 300 Muslims protested at the Alley Theater an appearance by Salman Rushdie. They had signs and were chanting "Death to Rushdie".

You can't help but wonder if any of those 300 Houstonians were involved with the attacks or are planning future attacks.

6. boy

boy Member

oh i forgot in america if your muslim you can't protest right?

even Ronald Dahl said to a Times newspaper in London, "Clearly he has profound knowledge of the Muslim religion and its people, and he must have been totally aware of the deep violent feelings his book would stir up among devout Muslims in other words he knew exactly what he was doing and he cannot plead otherwise." he also said "To my mind he is a dangerous opportunists...I think he's a twit."

Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Robert Rucie, has said in the official statement by the Church of England "ONLY THE UTTERLY INSENSITIVE CAN FAIL TO SEE THAT THE PUBLICATION OF SALMAN RUSHDIE'S BOOK HAS DEEPLY OFFENDED MUSLIMS BOTH HERE AND THROUGHOUT THE WORLD." The Anglican Primate continued: "I UNDERSTAND THEIR FEELINGS AND I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT OFFENCE TO RELIGIOUS BELIEFS OF THE FOLLOWERS OF ISLAM OR ANY OTHER FAITH IS QUITE AS WRONG AN OFFENCE AS TO THE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS OF CHRISTIANS."

if you read the bible you can find out how many instances death is the punishment for a crime.
    same way in Islam the punishment for numerous offenses is death. it doesn't mean you give it unless there are many pre-reqs that are fulfilled. such as having a completely islamic state. today there is no islamic state so that would not be possible. hence the 'death sentences' are only given when there is an islamic state.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

it's one thing to protest a book or a play, it's another to demand the death of its author. if you can't see the difference then i don't know what to tell you.