1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fascist tries to kill civilians for political beliefs/Most media ignores it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Feb 12, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No fascism doesn't require nationalism. This obsession with the 1930s definition is getting old. Read the dictionary. There are many well documented definitions that do not require that. The word has evolved since Mussolini.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Which one?

Merriam Webster:
    a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Wikipedia:

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe

The obsession with the "1930s definition" is because that is when the term was coined. We can only go by the examples of fascist regimes in our history as a guideline of what is "fascist" and all of them include a strong nationalistic desire.

Dictionaries didn't create the term fascism. It's a term created by philosophers and political scientists who tried to define the Nazi and the Mussolini regimes and is the blueprint of what a fascist regime is. Its etymology comes literally from Mussolini's movement "Fasci of revolutionary action"

#342 fchowd0311, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wikipedia, first of all, is not very academic. I find it politicized and inaccurate very often. Second, you cherry picked from Merriam Webster. There is one more definition on there and it doesn't include nationalism as a requirement because modern usage doesn't dictate such a thing. We aren't in the time of Mussolini bub. That was nearly 100 years ago and words do change. So nice try. And yes I am aware of the background on it. I said all of this if you bothered reading my posts. But I really suspect most of you disregarded it and just blabbered on.

I am reminded by a great academic with a PHD in evil that sometimes people just don't get it. They don't.

4. fchowd0311

There is no objective academically qualified source. Wikipedia sources their content. In this case they sourced their definition of fascism from a prominent political scientist and his book.

5. fchowd0311

If you want to create a new definition of fascism, by all means go ahead. If you want it to stick, gain the academic or political capital to change it but as of now we can only go by how the term was coined and what examples we used in history to label "fascist" to best define what fascism is.

I'm sorry but the current definition that is most agreed upon and is a common trait in all fascist regimes in history is ultra nationalism.

6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Some kind of fascist

7. foh

foh Member

Thanks for the link.

Sounds like a very angry and confused person. Ironic that Timm the xenophobe would hate on Trump.

I'm not going to comment on this thread more though. It makes me feel like an assh*le for some reason.

dachuda86 and AleksandarN like this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wikipedia is garbage bro... there is a reason that is frowned on by teachers and professors alike. Also again there are multiple definitions. It is awfully convenient that you left the second definition out when you quoted Merriam Webster. You can't just ignore the fact that the word has various uses and meanings now.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

See you round. Have a nice day.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually Wikipedia isn't garbage. It is as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/study-wikipedia-as-accurate-as-britannica/

dachuda86 likes this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

"about as good"

Also your study is speaking about mistakes, not bias and the way information is presented. One can write something 100% true and still be misleading because it leaves out 50% of it. The news does this routinely actually. Or posters here who post only one definition from Merriam Webster just to suit their argument and act like it doesn't exist once pointed out. And note that there have long been wikipages where there are political battles going on to literally rewrite history and the world around us.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FIFY

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That idea isn't fascism though. It's not based on nationalism or a militarized state to violently enforce it. Fascism isn't a broad term that should be applied to anyone with authoritarian thinking.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Do you work? Are you retired? How are you so active? I really want to know, just aside from everything.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll disagree. 'Fascism' is and can be a broad descriptive term . . . just as 'democracy' is.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The re•tarded position can be obtained from the current position of an internet poster by subtracting the distance they have travelled in the lapse from re•tarded time to the current time.

See also: Retart; Retarted; Detarted

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Be careful. I got in trouble for the R word once before... I used it the way we used it growing up and apparently it's forbidden. I don't think it's a realllly bad thing to say but I will point out that you might want to be careful with it.

18. fchowd0311

No, we just care when you use it.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah you may very well be right.

20. fchowd0311

So be careful.