1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FAQ for BBS rookies.

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by moestavern19, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding! I don't think I'll ever remember how that's spelled without looking at it to be sure. There's a couple of others that I could mention, but I better not. ;)

Great thread, moes. Kudos! :cool:

2. max14

max14 Member

Hey this part need some kind of explanation.
    I was demoted but I don't know for what reason.
    I don't mind being demoted but with absolutely no notification and justification it's a tad annoying.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Who cares? I got demoted, but really it only prevents me from not creating a thread (which I really only do on a daily basis in the NBA Dish forum) and rating them. Whenever Clutch feels I am doing a better job of posting again, he will make the decision to upgrade me back to member. Can't really ask for anything else, just keep posting good.

4. max14

max14 Member

Cheers I know in itself it's not a big thing.

I was banned in the chat before but I talked to R2K and it was because he thought I was somebody else and was on his ignored list. It would not be nice if R2K did not tell me anything and continually thinking I was that guy.

Point is we need some kind of communication not random no notification stump down. I will suck it up either way but I just want to know what did I do to catch Clutch's attention to demote me.

5. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

I only disagree with one of the FAQs. It is a common and propagated misconception that a monetary paypal donation will get you anything. Don't expect a "Contributing Member" or "Member" status. Don't expect a confirmation that your good-willed gift to Clutch was received. Don't even expect a "Thank You" from anyone.

Signed,
    Donation in 2006, Rookified the month after.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

And banned 3 years later from the looks of it.

7. ind0fo0

Perhaps. But would you like to tell me why? Or maybe you can tell me why those who donate never receive a simple "Thank you"? It really isn't that hard- especially if that few people contribute.

In fact, my $15 donation (although scant- it is still quite a bit for a college student who could easily just pass the whole "Let's donate to David because he does this for free" thing) is easily enough to keep the domain for two years (I think). I bring this up once a year because it kinda bugs me.

Honestly, I could care less about my 'status' on this board, and I donated to the tipjar in '06 simply because I actually understand what he does to run this amazing place... but I will say that had I received a simple "Thanks for helping out", he would have received $15 from me in '07... in '08... and perhaps even a $20 in '09.

BTW, from my recollection, I have only started two threads (I could easily be wrong- it has been a long while since I was last a member)... One of which was quite useful and created a large discussion on whether the role of sixth man should be occupied by Kirk Snyder or Bonzi Wells (at the time, JVG had made it clear that he only had room for one of the two to receive playing time). The other was in the Buy/Sell forum to sell my Astros tickets when the Yankees and Red Sox were in town...

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I hope I don't come off as a dick in this response. Please forgive me if I do.

I think Clutch has a way of telling people thank you. I think your $15 dollar donation can be seen on this website in the way that how much faster the server is. How decent the forums are moderated. How nice the page layouts are. Etc etc.

I don't think you should expect a thank you for donating money. I'm sure as you can see by going through these forums and website that this money has been put too good use and this is Clutch's way of thanking you for your contribution.

We are talking about a guy here who has a family and has a job. This is a hobby not some sort of obligation to the Rocket community. I'm pretty sure that you weren't looking for a thank you when you donated so I won't try to nitpick there but I just feel that you should be more understanding towards the administrator and owner of this site.

I think throughout the years he has done a fantastic job and this message board has provided many of us with many different memories as well as a place to talk Rocketball with other people. I think in a way this website itself is a way of thanking all of us for our contributions (whether it be monetary, through discussion, or whatever).

9. ind0fo0

Yeah, I failed to recognize the awesomness of this website in my post... I apologize...?

While I understand your point about how the contribution from Clutch is a Thank You, I feel that I don't even know if my money was received... you know? And it isn't just me. Many members of this awesome site never learn that Clutch received the money. Forget it ElPigto, because any suggestion one will offer here ends up receiving a response reading that I don't 'appreciate' Clutch enough. It's quite the opposite. My main premise of argumentation is that if I had received some confirmation or written-thanks for my contribution, I would have donated more. I think this applies to many first-time contributers.

BTW, this website is awesome... it is the first and last website I check when I turn on and off my computer. :p

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess just letting the argument head in a different direction then, don't you get some confirmation email from paypal saying your transaction went through. Perhaps a confirmation number.

I never personally contributed to the site with money so I wouldn't know this. I know that my experience with paypal I did get at least a confirmation number. I would think this is confirmation enough if we don't want to get into detail with thanks you's and all that other stuff.

11. ind0fo0

You get this confirmation email for sending money to anyone. My other point was that I didn't even know if it went to the right person. I wanted to make sure my money ended up in the right hands...

From: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3183392&postcount=74

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I am not a rookie but what is the deal with bad language. If it is a common word but does not get blanked out with ***** then it is safe to assume I can use it right?

I have seen quite a few not cool for TV or radio words not have stars.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It can be at your own discretion.

Sexually explicit dialogue is usually frowned upon, and you can get banned for insulting someone with strong language.

most of the bad words get asterisks.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

a$$ d**k are not asterisks, they have been around for a while and pretty common. so is that frowned upon or?

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

again, depends on usage.

keep it pg-13 and no vicious personal attacks.

16. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

This explains the 2 bans I got on my other accounts

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Nice nickname, hmm, Clutch must have been in a good mood to let you in with that name.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Despite being one, D**k Cheney would not appreciate the asterisking of his name.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Dick Cheney

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

IMO, cursing in the BBS should not be tolerated on any level.

DD