1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fact Checker] MDA made Nash ignore midrange

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 12, 2017.

?

Did MDA make Nash ignore midragne

1. Definitely Wrong

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Mostly Wrong

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Statement is as much True as False

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Mostly Right

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Definitely Right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ow come on, if you take that literally and don’t know what I mean then I don’t know what to tell you

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think the argument that MDA is forcing Paul to shoot more threes is just overreaction from preseason games.

I think Paul is just tinkering with his 3pt shot. I'm positive when the games count he will go with his bread and butter to get buckets. That's my hope.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My bad... thought you were being snarky about it ;)
    I see now you just wanted explanation and added some inside joke with someone I guess.

Yes... ok...??

Ok.... ??

I was just answering the poll, lol.

If we're comparing MDA Suns with MDA Rockets... the clear difference is the analytic (DM) driven emphasis on no midrange.... which MDA has bought into, seemingly.
    I'm not sure what @OTMax 's thread was about exactly, but looks like in the opening post he complains about MDA and DM influencing CP3s game perhaps.

The proof will be in the pudding ultimately, so it doesn't matter. We'll see what happens as the seasons goes on.

But so far it certainly seems like CP3 is taking less mid-range shots than I was used to seeing him take, and that he hasn't seamlessly blended into the team offensively.

I'm not seeing cohesion... beyond two great guards being ok together because they're two great guards.

But that's ok, it took Steph half a season to adjust to KD. It took Lebron/Wade a season+ to adjust, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how it ultimately shakes out.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can you answer this question? Did Nash ignore his midrange game.

#24 heypartner, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BigMaloe and don grahamleone like this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

From the looks of it, Nash was pretty good from 3 - he should have been shooting it more often.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I wonder if OP also likes the denver nuggets. Just chicken soup for the kids soul.

Agree with jay about the thread options. Its like swyyyguy type of troll thread options.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

You are going to jump to conclusions based on my answer and say that's that, so I refuse to.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. heypartner

Those were just more facts for consumption. Just making sure they were on the table. Wasn't some loaded trick or a refutation of your take. You know me, if I was going to make a point, I would. These Fact Checking threads I hope to refrain from creating a narrative, but rather just list the data for consumption by others....and watch the poll.

9. JayZ750

Gotcha.

I think more than anything, more than MDA/DM influencing CP3s game, or what MDA did in Phoenix, or how Harden and CP3 will play together, or what random LA area summer league they played in showed...

Is that Rome wasn't built in a day.

When Lebron/Wade, two players at the absolute peak of their game, take a season+ to adjust. When the GSW take a while to adjust to KD when there's never seemingly been a better fit in the history of basketball, lol... remember the Warriors, though still the odds on favorite all year, didn't really start rolling until KD got injured.

Well it's only fair to expect Harden/CP3 to take a bit to mesh so that A+B is > C

10. heypartner

No, I promise. I won't respond. In these Fact Checker threads, I promise to never make an argument or promote a narrative, but rather purely play the role of Fact Checker. This is a promise; otherwise, my Fact Checker threads like I did last year will become a fraud in themselves. I'm serious. :cool:

But if you don't want to answer for fear of having to defend your answer to others, then I can understand.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. heypartner

I guess I assumed people remembered these Fact Checker threads from last year.

I guess you weren't here last year. I did about a dozen of these Fact Checker threads. Many were for 100% humor, like Dallas Has Hotter Fans than Us ... with game photos as data. They all had the same poll options, just like all the Presidential debate Fact Checking done in Oct last year.

That is the style from political sites....a 5 option Likert scale, with As True as False in the middle ... here's an example:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/

[​IMG]

#31 heypartner, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Alright, let's see if you are a man of your word :) No he did not, but you have to understand I'm not dumb enough to think MDA goes to CP3 saying: Just threes and lay-ups, less mid-range? What I of course mean is because the style and system, plays, sets are designed for threes and lay-ups and the guards are instructed when they penetrate to find the open 3pt shooters or pass it to Capela / Nene for the lob or go for the lay-up (foul). In other words, it's almost automatic to shoot less mid-range shots. You cannot deny that MDA combined with Morey's strategy has a direct effect on the amount of mid-range shots. Harden has gradually taken less mid-range shots it seems, maybe you can check this, but he 100% is shooting less than under McHale. Just saying, CP3 shooting less mid-range would be under the influence of MDA - even without "making" CP3.

heypartner likes this.
  13. JayZ750

The whole thread makes a lot more sense with this explanation, lol.
    I can't remember who makes what threads, what polls options they use, etc.
    Nor do I actively pay that much attention to political polling.
    I like Silver's site.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think the offense itself makes you ignore certain spots on the floor, not the coach. I feel like from what I've seen so far, Chris Paul isn't taking as many midrange shots in this offense. I think he will take them if the defense gives him that space. So if the Spurs play that same defense they did against us, he'll shoot a lot of them. But if the defense plays us like the Thunder did, he won't take very many. The three point line and the layups still give Paul more points per possession than his midrange game.

In Nash's day, players closed harder on the three point line than they do now. A lot of that has to do with where threes used to be taken versus now. People used to focus on getting their feet close to the line, now they just pull the trigger.

Apples and oranges here. Chris Paul will most likely take less shots from 10 feet to the arc than he has in the past but it's the offense causing this, not MDmA.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

El oh el

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Maybe because it's just pre-season but I'm really not feeling this MDA offense with CP and Harden.
    Hubbie Brown brought up a great point last night during the Memphis game in which he stated that GS's offense is so good not only because you have great shooters but because they are never just standing still at the 3 point line, they are always moving and setting picks away from the ball.
    Last night I saw a James Harden that was reverting back to his "Game 6" ways because he was getting frustrated. You could clearly see his frustration against that Memphis defense. One way to spot his frustration is he starts to jack up contested 3's and pouts when he gets his layups blocked which than turns into him not running back on defense; saw is too much last night.
    Also if you noticed he doesn't move AT ALL without the ball. He refuses to set pick for his teammates, or back door when he's being pressure which could easily be a layup with CP's vision. Now I'm not saying CP had the greatest game either but man the standing at the 3 point line, no screens, no movement, and settling for what I think was way to many 3's was very bad to watch.
    Like I said, it may be like this because it's just pre season but I really hope MDA can get Harden to play without the ball and start to rely on others for help.

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's Morey who made the team ignore mid-range, not D'antoni. The Suns shot plenty of 2 pointers. Morey probably gave him the ol' 3pt>2pt argument.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

[​IMG]

RudyTBag likes this.