1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League - Rio Grande Valley Vipers News

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

Maybe he's just in DE's doghouse?
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/D-League-Showcase--Day-One-3074/

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. If a McGrady deal happens where the Rockets take back less combined salary than McGrady's, so that the Rockets are only SLIGHTLY over the tax threshold, I would expect Les and Morey to just dump Dorsey plus cash on another team, rather than have to spend more to get rid of Cook.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Absolutely expect something like that to happen. I was actually excited when we got him. At this point I say good riddance. It's a shame really, if he showed real improvement or at least more of a work ethic, I could have seen him getting some minutes at the 5

4. FFz

FFz Member

5. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

It is really sad. I sure wish we had picked up DeAndre Jordan instead of him. At least he has shown some promise. Dorsey has shown absolutely freakin nothing.

6. PeppermintCandy

I'm disappointed but not surprised by this. It has to be a challenge to go from a being a star in college to being sent to the D-League for two consecutive seasons. And IIRC Morey publicly criticized him for his effort level in the D-League last season as well.

It sounds like it's a mental issue more than a physical one for Dorsey. He's got NBA-level talent. Now can he develop the focus and determination to go with it?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

We didn't pick Dorsey. What is it with the assumption that the Rockets got Dorsey at the expense of Jordan? Dorsey was a freebie as a result of the Donte Green/Batum swap. The Blazers weren't the ones who drafted Jordan, how would we have gotten him at the time?

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

So you honestly think the Rockets told the Blazers to draft whoever Portland wanted and then send that player to the Rockets? Are you that naive?

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This draft recap by Clutch makes it seem like we got to draft who we wanted at #33. I also recall Dorsey being Morey's pick and not Portland's.

http://clutchfans.net/news/1476/thumbs_up_on_rockets_draft_day_moves/

"I also have to wonder what the Timberwolves thought about the Rockets landing pick 33 after Houston and Minnesota, holding picks 31 and 34, ran numerous draft workouts together. I can see Morey calling Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale around pick #32. "Hey Kev -- remember when you told me you liked Dorsey at 34?" That might have been a good time for an "I drink your milkshake" reference."

In any case, Morey had lots of praise for Dorsey after the draft and signed him to a multi-year deal. He didn't have to do that if Dorsey was just a throw-in. It doesn't really matter, no one panned out in the 2nd round of that draft.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

FYI the D-League showcase is on NBAtv right now with RGV vs Bakersfield.

so far Joey's defense hasn't been great ;)

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

10th in PER, 2nd in rebounding, 15th in TS%....14 points/g with only 9 FGAs/g. Granted his man to man defense has sucked the last few times I've seen him and i'm surprised he doesn't get more blocks.

12. Hayesfan

Also FYI, they just said Morey will join them at halftime.

13. htown11

htown11 Member

Dorsey looked fairly decent on some plays and made both his free throws shockingly.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

from that article on draftexpress linked above:

The worst part that he did all this with his general manager Daryl Morey (the man who traded for him on draft night, praised him effusively and gave him a 3-year contract) was sitting in the second row—obviously not happy with what he was seeing. “Disappointed” was all he was willing to say to us…on the record. There really wasn’t much more to be said, it was that bad. The big problem is that it’s exactly these type of issues that teams were worried about during the pre-draft process—his background, character and intangibles, and he’s unfortunately not doing much to show that he deserved otherwise. Dorsey needs to realize that his place in the NBA is anything but secured at this point in his career—there have been plenty of second round picks who didn’t last more than half a season in the NBA and never got another shot again. If he’s not careful, he could find himself meeting the same fate if he refuses to change his ways

15. htown11

htown11 Member

Dorsey is everywhere right now, looking far more active.

16. Hayesfan

did yall just hear that comment by the announcer...

said Joey isn't tall enough to play center in the NBA because he's only 6'9"

apparently he doesn't know that the Rockets start a 6'6" center!

Edit: I'm heading into the chat room if anyone wants to watch the game together.

17. htown11

htown11 Member

Haha I heard that, I thought the same thing Hayes proves its highly possible.

18. htown11

htown11 Member

Where is the chat Hayesfan?

19. Hayesfan

chat.clutchfans.net I think... just go to the clutchfans home page and click chat.. DD and I are both in there

edit: I was wrong.. here's the address http://www.clutchfans.net/chat.cfm

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Dorsey just scored 27 points with 21 rebounds 11-11 fg