1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Experts say global warming is causing stronger hurricanes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ottomaton, Sep 17, 2005.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Nice try, tiger. But that was not a thread on 'old Civic.' :p

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I hadn't seen nor driven the new model yet at that point, and therefore had only the previous generation Civic to base my opinion on.

Not a 'nice try', wnes, it's the honest truth.

If it makes you feel better, I might actually buy it :p

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more.

Canada and Australia are perhaps closest to U.S. in terms of abundance of land and wealth (relatively speaking), yet we don't see nearly the same extravaganza when it comes to gasoline consumption per capita.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Okay, I take it back. :cool:

5. tigermission1

And the thing is I wouldn't blame the Canadians if they did buy more SUVs and Trucks, they need 'em with the type of weather they have.

6. tigermission1

You betta :p

7. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Actually they have those washer/dryer combos (its the same unit), but since the damn thing NEVER dries your clothes you HAVE to do it another way. Man, its good to be back in the US.

No stupid half refrigerators or dishwashers that don't actually wash your dishes. Freakin' barbarians.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm with Krosfyah here. Why take the chance of making things worse when by doing things to cut down on greenhouse gases we can also save money and resources in the long run.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

mateo, this single post has made me so very glad that I've stopped back by the BBS. thank you thank you.

Michael Creton vs. Real Scientists: knife in a gun fight.

And Max, I really get what you're saying about historic variability in hurricanes. These are some non-linear critters if ever there were some. That said, if I understand the basics, hurricanes simply must get their energy from ocean temperatures. If you have warm ocean water, you're going to beef up hurricanes (e.g. just look at Rita get going in the next 24 hours... I mean Rita the storm, not the woman who wears the engineer costume for... oh never mind). At any rate, I don't see how an increase in average global temperatures wouldn't mean warmer oceans, and I don't see how warmer oceans wouldn't make for more violent storms, on *average* at least.

Cheers.

10. Panda

Panda Member

I'm no science guru, but to me it's a cause and effect issue. The cause and effect relationship is the strongest claim Glabol Warming can make, and as far as I know there's no any scientific theory to deny it. The heat trapping gases released by human activities are there and keeping increasing.

The concept of Global Warming should be seperated into two layers. One, if there is no humans on earth since the industrialization, what the weather should be like right now? Two, adding the heat trapping gases human released since the industrilzation, what's the effect it has on the answer of the first question?

To the first question, if the earth would get warmer without humans since the industrialization, then now the speed of warming is to be accelerated by the release of green house gases. This is the first scenerio.

If the earth's temperature is to stay about the same without humans since the industrialization, then greenhouse gases by human activities would make the Earth warmer, although slower than the first scenerio. This is the second scenerio.

If the earth's temperature was to cool off, then, the earth is still going to get warmer if the effect of greenhouse gases is large enough to exceed the cooling factors. This is the third scenerio.

Or, if the earth's temperature is going to stay about the same, and the effect of greenhouse gases is just enough to offset the cooling factors, then the Earth's temperature would not change significantly since the industrialization to the present. This is the fourth scenerio.

Finally, if the cooling factors is large enough to exceed the effect of greenhouse gases, then the Earth's temperature will get lower, at a speed decided by the margin between the two sides. This is the fifth scenerio.

Those are five possible scenerios and three out of them supports the notion of man made Global Warming.

In conclusion, due to the greenhouse effect, the chance of man made Global Warming is greater than other possible scenerios. Also, since it's widely noted that the temperature of the Earth is rising, we can eliminate scenerio 4 and senerio 5, which leads to the conclusion - Global Warming is real, and it's either caused or contribute by the greenhouse gases released by the humans.

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Global Warming is a fact, but I seriously doubt that hurricanes are so much dramatically powerful because of it. Maybe a bit, but in the 80's there wasn't that many powerful hurricanes. It just blew up starting with Andrew so it seems like a cycle to me.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

scary. posted late on the 18th. I guess I was a day early or so.

Mrs. B-Bob pointed out an article to me yesterday in Science magazine that linked hurricane strength to a cycle in Atlantic temperatures. The cycles go in something like 60-80 year cycles and hurricane numbers and strength have totally followed that. In the 90's we emerged from a relatively dormant period.

Anyway, in the Science article, nobody was making a case for Global Warming changing that Atlantic cycle... yet.

13. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

We should just have faith that we aren't doing anything wrong, continue to let corporations to pollute the environment just so they can have higher corp. profits, and all because i don't like hippies and don't want to support anything the those tree huggers support. I'm not a LIBERAL!

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Understanding is half the battle. ;)

Once we simply acknowledge that our daily personal choices contributes to global warming, we can all start doing little things to adjust our behavior.

Personally, I made a choice to live closer to my job (and yes, often take light rail to work) and I've spent about $500 on gas to date. What have you done?

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One problematic argument which I perhaps helped foster -

The idea that cyclical hurricane activity necesarily precludes an additive affect from global warming. It is possible that the growth in hurricanes recently is a sum of two independent forces acting together.

Just because there are cyclical weather paterns causing some effect, doesn't necessarily mean that global warming isn't involved as well.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Good point.

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

sounds like Russian weather manipulation to me
    :rolleyes:

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

As did this one. I know you're out there. Sure, I didn't find you in the Talamaklan, or the Pamirs, the Punjab, or even the snowy peaks of ladakh. But, Boberto, mark my words, I will chase you through the streets of Pondy, the Keralan backwaters, and the Borneo highlands to bring your perverse era to an end. With the aid of my trusty Malayan flying fox, your days are numbered, old foe.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... but has any significant growth in hurricane potency recently even been proven by anyone or just hypothesized?

20. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

There is no global warning at all. I'll trust that hurricane guy that was all over the TV durign Rita. The president of the NHC. He says global warming is hogwash, I'm with him. Incidentally he was saying Thursday that H-Town was safe from Rita.

There were 2 Cat 5's that hit the shore when Carla came...what was the other one?