1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evolution versus Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MartianMan, May 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Normally I wouldn't bring up such a controversial topic, but it seems most topics are dealt with in a thoughtful manner and I'm curious to see what some people think about the topic.

When I say Intelligent Design (ID), I'm mainly looking at the Christian perspective. I'm wondering:

1). Why does the belief of ID preclude the ability to believe in evolution?

Personally, I see evidence of evolution in a multitude of species and in life in general. Whether there is a God or not is definitely beyond my ability to reason? All I can base my life on is my own senses and knowledge.

2). God gave us a brain so we could reason (true if you're a Christian), yet people turn around and denounce scientists even when the facts are there? Why?

I have more questions but I think that's more than enough the discuss.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Welcome to Part 10000000001 of the debate. evolution does not fit the Christian values because bible says God created man in his own image. Evolution says man evolved from lower form and is not really anything special.

#2 pirc1, May 3, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  3. MartianMan

I see this has been discussed many times before. If that is the case, please do not respond.

4. rudager

rudager Member

1) Evolution has no design; it is unpredictable. Stuff just happens.

You cannot prove God's existence--that is what faith is all about.

2) Ignorance.

Might as well argue that Earth is flat and the sun is swallowed by a dragon at the end of the day.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Maybe God is a giant single celled organism, so using evolution, we can say it still technically true that we are created in his image.

Speaking of ID, the human body has numerous design flaws, if you think about it. For instance, why do we have an appendix?

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Personally, I believe that when God created everything, He did so with full knowledge and vision of what would happen throughout time. He put things in place so that we would evolve into the creatures we are now and will evolve into in the future.

To make it easy to look up obscure data? :D

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

D&D is dead. We killed it. :D

Go Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Belief in Intelligent Design does not preclude belief in evolution. Quite the opposite actually. ID only says the mechanism by which species evolve is different. According to the theory of natural selection, species evolve by selecting for advantage when muitations occur. ID says that some designer forces changes that lead to new species. The only difference is that ID says what happens is not random while NS says it is random.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
    Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
    If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.
    Oh-a oh

10. GladiatoRowdy

I personally am a firm believer in ID.

11. MartianMan

I know. But it seems many other people believe otherwise. That's what I'm getting at.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

God put it there to test us. Now repent, sinner.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he knew our full destiny then are our choices predestined?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only difference is that evolution is science and ID is religion. One has a place in science class, the other in Sunday School where it can be alongside Creationism, resurrection, and other similar topics.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't mean to derail, so go ahead and ignore me, but MartianMan, you registered just yesterday and I'm seeing you all over the place. 34 posts in a day and a half? CF is fun and all, but you'll wear yourself out.

Ok, carry on.

16. MartianMan

haha, you got me. I finished school and am currently unemployed. If you guys want to give me a job, I'll post less on CF.

17. GladiatoRowdy

Sort of, but we still have complete free will.

Quantum theory states (very basically) that when you make a significant choice, two (or more) universes are created, one for each of the possible choices. Thus, a "life" in this realm would look kind of like a tree to God, where each of the branches represents a different path that we could take in this life.

So when God created the universe, He created everything including every choice that we could possibly make while in the human form. Thus, everything is technically "predestined," but we have the free will to make those choices for ourselves and live out our lives according to those choices.

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

that's where the soul is stored.

19. MartianMan

:D :D :D :D

Why do whales have toes?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So I'll eventually be in both heaven and hell with Schroedinger's cat?