1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everytime there's referee controversy..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DwangBoy, May 2, 2007.

1. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

It's the Mavericks and SOMEONE.

whether it be rockets, spurs, or this time: the warriors.

and you know what?? it seems like the latter teams always get the short end of the stick..

it's no wonder why so many people feel the NBA referees are being biased and/or paid.. now i'm not saying this is what actually is.. please read and understand that.

I just understand TOTALLY how ppl come to this conclusion.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

edit: grrr, this is finalsbound. forgot to log in.
    --

hmm, i haven't even realized that.

there has been some really weird calls the past 3 or so weeks...Cuban must be upping the ante.

by the way, i totally hope the warriors can pull out game 6, although i really wanted them to win last night so i could see all the stunned faces of the dallas fans. oh well.

BEST SERIES EVAR.

3. numnuts23

numnuts23 Member

See last years NBA finals...yeah, that was really the case. Give me a break...every team & every fan always thinks that the officiating is against them. It's not just Dallas....I've seen plenty of complaints on the Rockets series with Utah...and the officials. The fact of the matter is...in the NBA these days...they are horrible at calling a game.

Examples:

Free throws and lane violations - most everytime there is one, and it's called for some reason..in cruicial periods

3 seconds in the lane - see above

Illegal Defense - see above

Traveling - see above

Charge vs. Block - this isn't a hard one to call to me. If the player has left the ground and the defender isn't in position it's a block. But for some reason, they call it however they see fit, and to what will either stop momentum of a winning team, or help the team that needs a stop and will bring the game closer.

These aren't hard calls to make - if they violate the lane..call it, if they travel, call it...and so on. Don't let it go by sometimes and then make the call at others. If they stay consistent, the players will realize what they can and can't do.

The NBA has too many questionable calls that go on, and help dictate the results in games. Thats not their job...their job is to basically be invisible and call it down the middle. Thats not what they do however, they want their name out there, they try too hard to be visible. It's becoming worse every year.

4. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

well, i mean, i don't know what else to say..

you look at the duncan ejection, the j.howard into oberto call??? wasn't that obvious?.

the finley knock the ball from out of bounds..

how can you now call that dirk foul on j.rich at the end of last game?? he freaking slapped his wrist and made him fall to the ground..

how can you not call flagrant on j.terry??

and then, ejecting jackson after clapping?

after all these observations, it seems ref's calling is biased towards dallas to say the least. come crunch time, you start seeing this.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's called homecooking. it shouldn't be that way, but it is. you think chuck hayes would have gotten a charge call if that game was in Utah? and of course every fan thinks their team gets teh shaft. but we hate Dallas so much we look for every reason to hate them some more. the refs are just an easy target. granted, at times it does seem like they have Maverick blue glasses on.

6. Bookit

Bookit Member

Its only a controversy because you hate the Mavs. People get technicals all the time in every game.

7. numnuts23

numnuts23 Member

This goes for every team. It's just that you hate Dallas...and you remember these.

As far as lastnight - Devin Harris gets called for on a blocking foul on B. Davis. His hands are by his side, and he's moving his feet and stays in front.

Baron Davis gets fouled on a 3 point attempt that he makes...must have missed that contact??

The ball is clearly kicks by GS late in the 4th, and they call out of bounds on Dallas.

many calls go against each team that isn't correct. Just because it's happens to the team you seem to have the most hate towards...you remember them, and think calls are bias.

8. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

yeah.. but now focus on the end of games, when it matters.

i guess next game would be a good example, right? b/c it hasn't happened and we can all be objective.

let's pay attention to the calls that COUNT tomorrow night's game of dallas and gs.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

J Rich was fouled with 21 sec left is so obvious and it made me wonder how could the officials miss it when they were calling touch fouls on the warriors in the last minute. At that time, it was only a 1 pt game and J Rich was attempting a 3 pt shoot.

10. Bookit

Bookit Member

The Mavs were fouled 2 or 3 times at the end of game 4 and nothing was called. Of course those don't matter because you hate the Mavs.

11. Pocket Rockets

harris got called cause of his body contact, not his hands...

davis didnt get fouled...it was pietrus that went to the free throw line.

12. numnuts23

numnuts23 Member

Body or not, it wasn't a foul.

Good call on the Peitrus shooting..that was my bad!! :D

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

They called one foul on Harris where his hand came down over the arm of the offensive player driving and he was livid(not the typical "I didnt do it!"). He couldnt believe that was called. I wondered where that sign the Jazz fan had that said: "Stop whining, it was a foul."

And after that foul called on Davis when Harris was driving, he has no right to complain about any call that goes against him the rest of this series...

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

So Harris shouldn't have been shooting a FT after he made the lay-up.

15. Pocket Rockets

maybe 10 years ago it wasn't a foul...with new rule changes for perimeter players it allows less contact for the defensive player. any body contact on the perimeter that impedes the progress of an offensive player is a foul

he was referring to the foul on harris when davis had the ball on the pnr.

16. yobod

yobod Member

The reason why we feel like the Mavs get way too many breaks is because we watch their games with the intent of rooting against them. So anytime something goes their favor, we tend to notice it and disagree. If you watch an NBA basketball game objectively, every team gets calls for and against them, obviously more often than not, the home team benefits more. Every fan thinks that every opposing team gets the breaks. Can you believe that Utah fans actually think that Yao is the most pampered big man in the league, and that he throws elbows at Okur on every play? We see it as quite the opposite, simply because we are on the other side of the fence. I think the only real constant in all of this is that the refereeing in the league has continuously gotten worse and worse as the years have gone by.

17. numnuts23

numnuts23 Member

Exactly.....the same goes when I watch a Spurs game!! Dang SA gets away with everything! ha

18. numnuts23

numnuts23 Member

Yeah, I know the change and this is a problem with the NBA...it's not called all the time. There is no consistancy with the calls. I've seen plenty of times where there is alot more body contact and there wasn't a call.

You would probably agree, it was very minimal contact on the call.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I don't understand how someone can make this thread and act like last year's NBA Finals never happened.

20. Pocket Rockets

well it did involve the mavericks didn't it?

he said most of the time it was favoring the mavs. The finals didn't. but it involved the mavs.