1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EUROPEAN VACATION

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox225, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

In November I'm making my first trek across the pond for a two week European vacation. My brother and I will be starting in Barcelona and then making stops in Nice, France before finishing in Rome. I'm trying to get any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, sites, etc. Any input would be appreciated!

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

One hell of a great movie. Chevy Chase is funny.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Thought the thread was about this film...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. DreamRoxCoogFan

I went to Europe this summer. I had stops in Barcelona, Cannes (next to Nice) and Rome. I don't know what you're into, so this is just general stuff

1- Barcelona is a TON of fun. They got the fountain in the Placa d'Espanya which is good at nighttime (they got a light/water show). Las Ramblas are difficult to explain, but walking up and down is something to definitely experience. The Metro is good and reliable. I didn't have any, but everyone says you should have tapas. The trek up to Park Guiell is long, but the view is nice. Unfortunately, there is a lot of smog, so you don't have a very clear view. La Sagrada Familia was ok, I didn't like the construction going on there, you could clearly tell where the add-ons were. They set up shops on Las Ramblas near Colon Square on the weekends with some neat stuff. If you have nothing to do (highly unlikely), then just go down to last ramblas and eat/sit at one of the outdoor cafes there, great atmosphere.

(i'll skip cannes because i'd be generalizing. One thing though- the french can be a-holes for reals)

2- Rome is awesome. If you are interested in the Vatican stuff, you will need a few days there. The line to get into St. peters is long (unless you pay to get with a guided tour group). The Vatican museum may interest you if you're catholic. There was a ton of amazing stuff that I walked by because I just wanted to see the Sistine Chapel. It takes forever to get to the chapel, you pass through a ton of areas first. The Coliseum is neat- worth the guided tour (no line too!). That same ticket lets you go to two other places near the coliseum. There is a ton to see in Rome, so make sure you prioritize what you want to do. If you are patient enough for public transport and don't mind asking around frequently, then save yourself a ton of money and ride the buses (there are only 2 metro lines but may be useful depending on where you want to go- same ticket as bus)

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:D "He's speaking ENGLISH, dad." - Rusty

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Dad, I think he's gonna pork her.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did a study abroad in Malta this past summer, made side trips to both Barcelona and Rome.

Barcelona - Wasn't there for that long but I felt like we got most of it in. I liked La Sagrada Familia but like Coogfan posted, the construction kinda puts a damper on it. Park Guiell is pretty cool but nothing that spectacular. Gaudi's house is something you should check out as well, pretty sweet architecture.

Rome - I don't even know where to start, Rome is by far the coolest city I've been. I do suggest getting a Roma pass which gives you entry into pretty much everything as well as unlimited rides on the Metro. I suggest visiting the Colloseum later in the day (4-5 p.m.) since it will be WAY less crowded. Also allow yourself plenty of time at the Vatican. It will pretty much take you a full day to take it in. Not sure when you're going, but the Vatican Museum is free on the last Sunday of each month. We were able to walk through the museum and get to the Sistine Chapel w/o having to wait in line.