1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Euro 2000

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jovi, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Jovi

Jovi Member

What do you guys, especially the ones from the participating countries, think who will win the championship.

I have to say my top pick is Holland, but of course, never count out the Germans. All the so-called experts believe in an early exit, but the team is better than many believe...England can´t beat us in IMPORTANT games, since you all know how hard it is to knock off Germany [​IMG]

I think Germany, Spain, England and France will make it to the semis...GO GERMANY!

------------------
    What do you expect from someone who beats up his fiancee?

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yea, go Germany!

Uhh...call me Euro sport ignorant, but what sport are we talking about?

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Sorry Jovi but England will win this easily. [​IMG]

Rocketspimp=== This is Soccer

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

England won't make it through the group stage, I don't think.

Just for fun, I'll say that I think the Dutch will win it this time.

------------------

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Holland 5/2
    Italy 5/1
    Germany 5/1
    Spain 4/1
    France 7/1
    England 8/1
    Sweden 18/1
    Czech Republic 15/1
    Norway 20/1
    Yugoslavia 18/1
    Belgium 25/1
    Portugal 15/1
    Romania 30/1
    Denmark 40/1
    Turkey 50/1
    Slovenia 75/1

In light of this, I almost took England when they were 12/1. Now, especially after barely beating Malta, I have to wonder. Ditto for Italy unable to beat Norway last Saturday. Germany is looking old to me. I like them, and I think O.Bierhof is great, but they seem like an aging team. Spain is great on paper, and has looked awesome in friendlies in the past year, but it always seems the Spanish choke when it matters. France only beat Japan on penalties, and other than Nikata, they aren't THAT good.

Why does no one give the Czech Republic any good chance? Aren't the the #2 ranked team in the WORLD?

But that lives the Orangemen, who are favorites for a reason, are red-hot and will be on home territory for Euro 2000.

I'm going with Holland, but I still think England has a chance only because I think Shearer is the man, and since this is his last international outing, I thihnk if nothing else Shearer may lead in goals scored.

Just my 2 guilder....

------------------

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Jovi,

One question. How do you see Holland not making the semis if they are your top pick to win it all?

I think we have a good chance this year, but the group is quite tough. Most obviously this year's "group of death."
    Three world class teams and another that usually ends up being the darkhorse.

I think the Czech Republic will be quite dangerous, while the Germans will probably get quite far. They always do.
    Spain will get through this time...they won't choke like in the World Cup.

I'm very scared about the Dutch not getting out of the group stages. The group is just so damn tough.

Anyway, I'm going with Holland. It's about time we win something.

------------------
    Nederland 2000
    NBA+stupidity=Brand ROY
    NBA+common sense=Franchise MVP

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more!

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Czech Republic............because it is my ancestry.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Trinidad & Tobago.

------------------
    ?

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

DR,

I actually saw Trinidad and Tobago play Guatamala at the Gold Cup in the first round in LA. They were really fun to watch (who would've thought you could see Dwight Yorke for $10)?

He was a really classy player and endured all sorts of boos and glass bottles thrown at him by the rabid Guatamalans. He just brushed it aside and kept playing.

After the game he went up to the few groups of fans wearing Trinidad shirts and talked to them.

I also thought the goalkeeper was good too. He was HUGE, and when he tossed the ball downfield he could practically set up a goal. I guess this nothing to do with Euro2000...but when else and where else could I tell a Trinidad and Tobago national team story ? [​IMG]

------------------

10. 34dream

34dream Member

The winner will be either Spain or the Netherlands. I don't think that Germany will even advance to the Semi-Finals, but who knows. My dark horse is Portugal, they have a fantastic team on paper. I'll root for Spain (although they beat Austria with ... you know what result [​IMG] ) and England.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 34dream (edited June 06, 2000).]

11. Jovi

Jovi Member

Ace: Whoops. I think you´re right [​IMG]
    I forgot Holland...replace England..

How do you actually call the people living in Trinidad and Tobago? Trinidin and Tobagoians ?? [​IMG]

Forget about the Czech Republic. It´s a bad joke that they occupy the second spot on the Fifa World Ranking. The haven´t really accomplished anything over the past couple of years...the former great nations, including England and Germany, are still way better in tournaments, no doubt about it.

Holland will make it far...it´s a good time to take revenge for the 88 semi-finals loss. Koman, this friggin idiot, used a German jersey to wipe his ass with is. Although I admire his incredible powerful free kicks, this makes him look like a complete idiot. Just like Riijkard (sorry for the spelling), him spitting at Rudi Voeller tops it all. I have lost my respect for him and won´t regain it.

------------------
    What do you expect from someone who beats up his fiancee?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, and I was just making it up. I just like the sound of "Trinidad & Tobago"... kinda rooooolls off your tongue. I didn't even know T&T competed in whatever sport we're talking about. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

D0D, you know, that sport where 80 guys kick a round ball on a 2 mile long field. [​IMG]

14. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Damn. France had to win 5-1.

This messes up my predictions.

Anyway, I think the Dutch will also want their revenge for the '74 finals, in which they were clearly the better team.

I think that both of our sides have done some stupid things in the past, all in the name of the rivalry that our countries have had over the years.

Why does your "'" come out as a "`". Because of the German keyboard? Just wondering...

------------------
    Nederland 2000
    NBA+stupidity=Brand ROY
    NBA+common sense=Franchise MVP

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more!

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

At the beginning of the World Cup elims, I picked the French to win it all. My wife will back me up on this. (Well, OK, I did pick the Dutch to beat Brazil in the semis.)

That one fluke prediction has loaded me with unfounded self-confidence. I'm taking the Frogs AGAIN in this tourney.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

So do I get to come back now and take my bow?