1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eureka !! Our guards played smart !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 5, 2002.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now this is what I am talking about, not trying to do too much on your own, getting the ball hopping around, and generally making good decisions with the basketball.

I can even forgive Steve's 5 turnovers because cat had a 2-1 assist to TO ratio tonight...

Out"Fricken"Standing

Now keep it up.....

DaDakota

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They must have read your posts [​IMG].

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very exciting! Perhaps a glimpse of the future. Imagine two All-Star guards shooting the lights out with a dominating frontline including another All-Star lurking under the basket. At this point, I will take anything hopeful. Even the Little Dribbler made a clutch three to ice the game, give Moochie his due.:)

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, they didn't play dumb, but "smart" isn't the best description, either...Steve and Moochie were confused all night long on the double teams. Almost every time they were doubled after the high pick was set (usually by Stockton and Malone), there was either a travelling violation or a turnover...

Steve did do a good job of getting to the line, though...He was agressive through the whole game, and the refs rewarded him with that agressiveness by sending him to the line...Didn't Collins get three fouls in a row at one point?

5. DaDakota

Actually A-Train I thought that Steve going to the hole was an adjustment on his part, as he saw they were trapping him on the sideline each time in the first half. He seemed to be aware of that and just started going to the hole in the 2nd half.

DD

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You're wasting your breath. A-train hates Francis and belives he's the root to our problems.

7. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Gimme a break, just because we won, it always means they played smart? Francis continues to show that he has no clue how to use the pick and roll. When he goes around the pick, he just goes straight to the hole and doesn't even think about passing it off to the guy who set the pick. What did that lead to? Endless turnovers. He gets surrounded in the lane when he drives it in and blindly throws it back out, hoping someone will catch it. It usually gets stolen. However, he does draw a number of fouls, so it does have a positive side. But bottom line is - he won't get a foul every time.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Great post dadakota. i'm glad this was a positieve post. ithink i underastemated jou. as for rocketkid. we have won shoudn't you be glad, or are you just wishing for a good lotery pick:D

Arno

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It was a good win against a good team. Somehow we shot 60% from the field which will help you win a few games. I'm still dissappointed that we turned the ball over 7 more times than they did. As far as the Jazz out assisting us, well since we shot so many ft's that had something to do with it. Good win, but the turnover vs turnover forced needs to improve.

10. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

good controlled game overall. Francis still keeps making ridiculous passes and drives, but we will give him the benefit of doubt while playing with a freakin migrain. I have a close family member with migrains and it puts her down and out from any work or activity for 24 hours at a time....tough deal!

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I take serious offense to that remark. I like Francis as much as anybody on this board, but some people think he's the second coming and can do no wrong. He's a great player, but makes some questionable decisions sometimes. He needs to learn to use his brains more and not rely as much on his athleticism...

12. DaDakota

Let me clarify my thoughts.

I meant we played SMART in crunch time. The team made the passes that opened up the game. Moochie for 3 for instance off of a Mobley pass.

This to me shows progress and is all I am asking.

DaDakota

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you keep looking hard enough for the negative, I'm sure you'll be able to find it. If that makes you happy, then you're in luck. But I could find negative in anyone's game including, Kid, Nash, Jordan, Iverson, Carter, Shaq... anyone.

If you'd like to see some positive, DaD already pointed out how Francis' going to the hole was an adjustment to deal with their traps. Sometimes the path to the basket was created in part by the Pick and roll.

Also we actually had a couple of good fast breaks last night! That was really pleasing.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i believe steve had 2 or 3 early turnovers in which he was called for traveling after being trapped by the double team. after that he was able to adjust a bit and start going to the basket. it's hard to say if they played any smarter then previous games but hitting 60% + of your shots will make your offense look great.

i was more impressed with our overall defense, i haven't actually seen us play it that hard in a while but i'm pretty sure it was quality.

i definitely saw steve make better decisions defensively. our guards in general put more pressure on the ball. obviously he has the physical gifts to be a good defender but this is the side of the ball where he needs to get smarter. he goes behind the picks way too much and this is how we get burned, but i don't believe it has anything to do with lack of effort.