1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN's Dana Jacobsen: "F--- Jesus"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Jan 23, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59822

ESPN anchorwoman: 'F--- Jesus'
    TV host taken to task for outburst at public event

A Catholic advocacy group charges the sports TV network ESPN has failed to respond properly to a graphic rant by anchorwoman Dana Jacobson in which she "attacked Jesus Christ."

Jacobson, reportedly intoxicated, was speaking at a celebrity roast in Atlantic City, N.J., when she unleashed a profane tirade, saying, "F--- Notre Dame," "F--- Touchdown Jesus" and finally "F--- Jesus."

"Touchdown Jesus" is the popular moniker for a statue on the Notre Dame campus of Jesus raising his arms.

Catholic League president Bill Donohue said he pressed ESPN on the issue and received an e-mail with an unsatisfactory statement by Jacobson.

The statement said, in part, "My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words."

Donohue contended the response "fails on several counts."

"First, there is no evidence that ESPN is taking this matter seriously," he said. "Are we to believe that her hate speech is of no consequence?"

Donohue argued Jacobson's comments were at a public event where she represented ESPN.

Secondly, he pointed out, racist remarks by the late sports commentator Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder during a luncheon interview in 1988 resulted in his prompt firing by CBS, despite an apology.

Donohue added, "It is also important to note that being drunk didn't help Mel Gibson's case when he made bigoted remarks about Jews."

Finally, the Catholic leader said, "By far the most offensive thing she said, 'F--- Jesus,' isn't even addressed!"

"It is obvious, then, that neither Jacobson nor ESPN is dealing with this matter in a professional way," Donohue declared. "To put this issue behind them, ESPN must deal with this issue quickly, publicly and fairly, something it has yet to do. After all, most Christians are yet unaware of this event, but once they learn of it, they are sure to demand accountability."

As WND reported in September, Kathy Griffin, the star of the Bravo show "My Life on the D-List," stirred controversy when she used her appearance on the Emmy Awards program to tell Jesus to "suck it" and to claim full credit for the honor for herself.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm waiting for a double standard comment. you can say f##k satan but as soon as you say f##k jesus here comes the pope playing the religion card. :rolleyes:

3. Buck Turgidson

Nobody ****s with the Jesus.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It was a turgid thing to say.

Impeach a Turgid President.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

f--k ESPN and f--k advocacy groups

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Someone please explain this statement to me. First she says she respects all religions, ok cool. But doesn't "poorly chosen words" imply that she agrees with what she said, just that it was delivered in a wrong way? and seriously when you say f*** anything, how the heck can you come back and say you didn't mean anythign derogatory? what a bunch of double talk. I'm shocked she didn't follow it up with "I apologize if I offended you".

here's a better statement for her and everyone else in the future who says stupid things. "I effed up, my bad".

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Let's make sure the whole story is told here. She was a roaster at the "Mike & Mike" roast a week or so ago. She was ragging on Mike Golic who went to Notre Dame. I've heard worse on the Comedy Central roasts. There is no story here.

8. Buck Turgidson

Replace Jesus with Mohammed & then imagine the ensuing sh!tstorm.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

About to say the same thing. She'd be fired in a heartbeat if she had said this and offended the religion of Islam.

10. conquistador#11

not to hi-jack this thread, but this story also involves religion and sports:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/sports/ncaabasketball/23hoops.html?ref=sports
    Majerus Is Criticized for Pro-Choice Stance

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: January 23, 2008

A Roman Catholic archbishop said Tuesday that he would ask officials of St. Louis University to take “appropriate action” against its basketball coach, who said in a television interview that he supports abortion rights.

Rick Majerus, one of the game’s winningest coaches, made the comment at a weekend rally for the Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

St. Louis Archbishop Raymond Burke declined to say what the action against Majerus should be, saying it was a decision for officials at St. Louis, a Jesuit university.

“I’m concerned that a leader at a Catholic university made these comments,” Burke said by telephone as he attended March for Life anti-abortion events in Washington. “It can lead Catholics astray. I just believe that it’s of the essence for people to understand as a Catholic you just cannot hold these beliefs.”

In an interview with KMOV-TV at Saturday’s Clinton rally in suburban St. Louis, Majerus identified himself as a Catholic and called himself pro-choice. The St. Louis University spokesman Clayton Berry said Majerus was at the rally as an individual, not as a representative of the college.

By no means do I think majerus should be suspended or fired. maybe 100 hailmarys' ?

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i disagree, i think it would be much worse if it was muhammed.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I am offended. LISTEN TO ME!!! I AM OFFENDED!!!!! WON"T SOMEBODY LISTEN TO HOW MUCH I AM OFFENDED???? DON"T YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!! O FFEND ED! Damn it. **** this ****. I AM STILL OFFENDED BTW. :mad:

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

This is what happens when you have "roasts" with people who aren't comedians... However, Bill Donohue is disgusting.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I disagree. Saying f*** Jesus is not the same as saying f*** Notre Dame

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

f**k nasa

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

There is no allowance for revenge in Christianity, and there is at least some allowance for it in Islam.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe if Jesus were upset by the comments he would handle the situation himself or at least get his dad involved.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You should be happy about what that basically says about Catholics and other christians. That the worse that would happen is the Catholic league sends a complaint letter while we saw that a drawing of Muhammad set off freaking riots.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

in the context of a roast...thats actually really funny :D

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Nope, that didn't do it.