1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN2] UTEP at Memphis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JeeberD, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Tonight at 9pm central. This game is for first place in CUSA, I figured you Rice and UH fans might be interested...

If the Miners are going to win we have to play defense like we did against UAB a couple of weeks ago. It'll be tough, but I really think the Miners have a chance to win this sucker.

Oh, and as an added bonus, the Miners will be wearing throwback 1966 Texas Western jerseys tonight... :)

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i always love a good upset. go miners

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I wish UTEP would go back to being Texas Western :(

Anyway, Go Tigers..

Nothing personal, Jeeber.. but any UTEP win hurts UH at this point.. and we want Memphis ranked as high as possible when we play them to end the season.

4. JeeberD

Dammit, I hope that Tofi isn't seriously hurt. If he is there goes any distant shot at the Big Dance that we currently have.

Hopefully he's back on Saturday for the UH game. We really need him if we're gonna lay the whuppin' that the Coogs have coming to them.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

UH will whip the UTEP Miners with or without John Tofi. They killed them earlier this year.

6. JeeberD

Yup, that five point victory was a killing... :rolleyes:

The Miners are a completely different team at home than they are on the road. The only reason y'all even have a chance tonight is because it turns out that Tofi tore his ACL and his UTEP career is over... :(

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

His ACL is gone? Damn.. that totally blows.

I was looking for news on that but i couldnt find any.. what a freak play to tear an ACL on..

anyway, game coming down to the wire right now.. cougars trying to throw it away.

annnnnd they just did.

see you in the the tournament.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Damn UTEP won. UTEP has a great homecourt. UH has no homecourt. Both teams will be in the NIT.

9. JeeberD

I don't know about that, if either Houston or UTEP reaches the CUSA final I think that they have a shot at the NCAAs. Maybe even better would be if Memphis loses in the CUSA tourny and UTEP, UAB, or UH reaches the final...then there's the slight chance that three teams might make it.

Great game tonight, guys. Your three point shooting kept you in it, but it also killed you. Will Kimble came to play in the second half, something I wasn't expecting. That was by far the best game I've seen him play in his two years in El Paso. Jason Williams also looked like a man posessed, he knew that he had to take the team over and he really did it all tonight. On the other side, Edgar Moreno had probably his worst game of the year. Lafayette just ate him up early on in the game and Edgar just never looked comfortable out there.

I hope we don't have to face you guys again in the CUSA tournament, y'all really scare me. Best of luck the rest of the year! :)

#9 JeeberD, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  10. JeeberD

Yup, he shredded the ACL. I was hoping it was just an MCL sprain from the way his knee bent, but no such luck. And you're right, it was a real freak way to get injured. Here's the UTEP press release about it, if you're interested...

http://www.utepathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=10340&SPID=637&DB_OEM_ID=2100&ATCLID=243044

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

UH lives and dies by the 3. They have no inside game. UTEP is a decent team but I doubt they make the tournment even if they the make it to the final. Their RPI is too high and their non conference schedule was a joke.

12. JeeberD

Georgetown and Syracuse are jokes? New Mexico and Texas Tech are usually really good teams, it's not our fault that they're having down years. And we ALWAYS play NMSU twice...

I have no excuse for the Alabama A&M and LaLa games, though. :eek: