1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Will Bagwell get lost in Cooperstown crowd?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by eric.81, Nov 30, 2010.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Rob Neyer's "SweetSpot" blog discussing the latest hall-of-fame ballot and specifically Bagwell's chances. Exerpt below. Good read...

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/6439/will-bagwell-get-lost-in-cooperstown-crowd

1 person likes this.
  2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Good Read...

3. Raven

Raven Member

I wonder if this would even be a discussion if he had played in the East.

4. eric.81

Probably not... that wins above replacement player stat is astounding. Considering his defense, baserunning, ability to draw walks, and his homerun power in the cavern that was the Astrodome, he was a pretty excellent baseball player.

You think he gets painted with the "juice" brush? I had my suspicions, but I think he would've gotten nailed by the Mitchell Report if he had been involved. I know the only evidence against him is circumstantial, but it's fairly compelling anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has gone into the Hall of Fame wearing an Astros hat, correct? Other than Gene Elston (broadcaster) I mean...

5. msn

msn Member

Bagwell has a strong argument for the best NL 1B of all time (before Pujols, that is).

He is a certified, no argument hall-of-famer. Any voter who doesn't think so needs to remove their east-coast-colored glasses.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Does he pass the Jim Rice test?

Jim Rice - 41.5 WAR
    Jeff Bagwell - 79.9 WAR

HoFer, end of discussion. (voters... :rolleyes: )

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

My hero but the guy has no shot this year...but next year the class is weak with all the Steriod guys due up. Biggio and Piazza are going to get in and wouldn't it be perfect for both to go in together?

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

He'll get in, I don't think there is any question about it... I just don't know if it's this year.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Either they go in together or they give each other's speech. If they go in together, go ahead and book my plane ticket to Cooperstown!

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Better get in quick before "the list" gets fully leaked.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i was thinkin that too...but then what happens to the guys who are on the list and have already gotten in?

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Actually Biggio is in the 2013 class, with Piazza, Schilling, Clemens, Bonds, and Sosa.

That class will be interesting, to say the least.

As for Bagwell, I think his best shot is 2012. There are literally zero HOF worthy players (Javy Lopez, Vinny Castilla, Ruben Sierra, and Bernie Williams are the best of the class) so hopefully they'll vote Bags in just so that someone gets in that year.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If the voters don't consider defense and baserunning as part of Bagwell's greatness, they shouldn't be voters for the HoF.

2 people like this.
  14. msn

msn Member

Quoted.
    For.
    Truth.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Darn, thought Biggio was due in 2012...my fault. Yea 2012 sounds right but 2013 wouldn't be crazy either.

16. NJRocket

Defense im sure will be considered...but i highly doubt anyone outside of Astros fans know much about his baserunning prowess....certainly not most of the blue hairs on the election committee

17. eric.81

And that's such a shame... he was an excellent baserunner; especially since he wasn't a fast guy. He really was fun to watch play. So was Biggio.

18. NJRocket

total shame.....and u are spot on. those of us who watched him every day are well aware

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This year Cy Young Voting showed that young metric minded people are beginning to replace the old guys who look at the same misleading stats.

I have a feeling the older guys will hold the lack of 500 home runs, which is stupid, against him. It depends on how many of the stat minded people have votes, and how many of the "avg, rbis and homers are all that matter" guys are left.

Probably not this year, but I have a good feeling about 2012, like i said given this years Cy Young result, i'm liking his chances more than i did when he first retired.

20. eric.81

NJRocket... we're among the lucky, aren't we? Man... I miss the Astros being good.

1 person likes this.